F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Car and Driver Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Well said Rudy, this is an excellent forum and the members have done a great job keeping the debate respectful and about the car. Change always stirs up mixed feelings and I admit that I am no different. I love my E60 and am still debating on the F10 vs E90 M3 (leaning M3). The F10 is a great car and you are spot on that it takes more than a 10 minute test drive to appreciate the car's capabilities. Given that my dealer is not yet accepting orders because of the September changes, I am still have time to take additional test drives and decide...
I'm sure the M3 would be awesome but as a daily driver, I'm not sure it would be a good fit for me. When I get 3 series loaners, like a 335i coupe 6MT, although it's a real blast to drive, I'm always really happy to get back in my 5 because in the end, the 3's size (especially the smaller wheelbase) makes it feel more like a "toy" than the more stable 5.

Speaking of wheelbase, one thing I forgot to mention before was the fact that the F10's wheelbase is longer than the E60's. That might also explain some of the immediate difference in feel that many people are experiencing...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yes, I had mentioned the increased wheel base in my initial impessions note.

I agree on the feel of the 3 having had them for loaners many times. But the M3 is much more solid than a standard 3. What I'd really like to drive is the M3 with the Electronic Dampening Control which offers the Comfort, Normal and Sport modes. I think the Comfort mode would make the car more suited to being a daily driver but unfortunately the one M3 my dealer has does not have that option. I've got time to decide...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Yes, I had mentioned the increased wheel base in my initial impessions note.

I agree on the feel of the 3 having had them for loaners many times. But the M3 is much more solid than a standard 3. What I'd really like to drive is the M3 with the Electronic Dampening Control which offers the Comfort, Normal and Sport modes. I think the Comfort mode would make the car more suited to being a daily driver but unfortunately the one M3 my dealer has does not have that option. I've got time to decide...
M3 is a waaaay different car than the F10. If you want big time sport feel and killer, lively handling, get the M3. If you need comfort and luxury and room, it's F10 hands down. 3 Series is just too small for my one car family.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by sdg1871
M3 is a waaaay different car than the F10. If you want big time sport feel and killer, lively handling, get the M3. If you need comfort and luxury and room, it's F10 hands down. 3 Series is just too small for my one car family.
Understood Scott, everyone has different needs. I am looking for something more on the sporty side. My current 550 is sporty enough but I feel like in the F10 that BMW is moving to the luxury end of the spectrum. It is a great car and I still may get it but for now I want a more sporty ride. We have a Volve XC90 for family trips...
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

He has yet to post here but forum member pharding is posting on another board about his F10 european delivery, not a glowing review of the car unfortunately. Not really bad either, more focused on the steering feel and some fit and finish issues he had. I look forward to a more detailed write up when he is free to do so...
http://f10.5post.com...45&postcount=17

+1 for when Paul get's time to write a more detailed review..

i test drove the f10 550 about 2 weeks ago, during my local dealers UDE. They let me take the car out by myself . I was able to try out all the suspension settings, sport/+ would be on all the time if I do get an F10...normal and comfort just felt way too disconnected to the road. But the interior and all it's electronic upgrades are definitely noticed and appreciated...

I have not posted about my UDE experience as the f10 did not WOW me like when I test drove my e60 535i before purchase. I still have no idea what I'll be ordering at the end of this year, maybe I'll purchase my e60 It will have ~20K miles @ lease end
Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Understood Scott, everyone has different needs. I am looking for something more on the sporty side. My current 550 is sporty enough but I feel like in the F10 that BMW is moving to the luxury end of the spectrum. It is a great car and I still may get it but for now I want a more sporty ride. We have a Volve XC90 for family trips...
You are right. If you can live with the reduced room, the 5 Series does not hold a candle to the nimbleness of a M3. I thought long and hard about the M3 when I leased my 550. I just couldn't live with the reduced room. And the 3 is not quite as stable or as luxurious feeling as I like. But what a hell of a handler it is.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:34 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

You have to compare apples to apples. I say again this C & D article is flawed. Put PS2's on the BMW and rerun the test. I dare you.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:38 PM
ObD
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
You are right. If you can live with the reduced room, the 5 Series does not hold a candle to the nimbleness of a M3. I thought long and hard about the M3 when I leased my 550. I just couldn't live with the reduced room. And the 3 is not quite as stable or as luxurious feeling as I like. But what a hell of a handler it is.
The M-differential is the only benefit to the M3. Otherwise it's performance is very similar to my lowly 535i in normal street driving.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 PM
ObD
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy
Speaking of wheelbase, one thing I forgot to mention before was the fact that the F10's wheelbase is longer than the E60's. That might also explain some of the immediate difference in feel that many people are experiencing...

The front end suspension is also different from the E60. Apples to oranges.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ObD
You have to compare apples to apples. I say again this C & D article is flawed. Put PS2's on the BMW and rerun the test. I dare you.
You can't currently get a 535 from the factory with PS2s, so it's something of a moot point. The cars can only be tested as they are supplied. Even so, I don't think it would have made any material difference to the result. The revised power assistance in the F10 will be a far more significant contributor to the steering feel than the choice of tire. It could be argued that the stiffer sidewalls in the stock RFTs actually help the F10 as they sharpen turn in. In any event, it's clear from the test results that the car already had plenty of grip. We're probably clutching at straws if we think a tire change alone would have changed the outcome. Switching out the RFT's will typically transform the ride, but that wasn't where C&D felt the had an issue. The test could only have been flawed if one of the cars had equipment that wasn't supplied from the factory and that wasn't the case here.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparison