F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Car and Driver Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my C&D today and read the article. First, no one can claim C&D is anti-BMW. If anything, any bias has been just the opposite. But in this case, C&D's critisism is all about the lack of steering feel and how that diminishes confidence when driving hard and reduces the all important "fun-to-drive" factor. The F10 lost in all the subjective driving categories and won most of the objective ones. All-in-all, it was a pretty even-handed review and represents a single perspective.

I thought C&D's final remark was pretty interesting. It compared the F10's steering to the original X3's harsh ride - a major faux pas that BMW quickly corrected.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by TitangrauII530iA
Hello,

I am sorry but by my opinion you couldn't be more wrong! I have been driving three different E60s since 2005 and now a F10 535iA since 4/2010. All I need to say is that I wouldn't accept an E60 any more. The F10 is so much better in all possible ways! More dynamic, more comfortable, more quiet, by far more safe (5 stars and excellent rating), better looking from all angles, less fuel consumption, better electronics and by far better quality in all areas, interior and exterior, more accessories available... And the car is sold out from the factory until October now. I am quite sure the F10 will be a huge success for BMW.

Best regards,

TGII
I wholeheartedly agree! My F10 is AWESOME!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Hello,

I am sorry but by my opinion you couldn't be more wrong! I have been driving three different E60s since 2005 and now a F10 535iA since 4/2010. All I need to say is that I wouldn't accept an E60 any more. The F10 is so much better in all possible ways! More dynamic, more comfortable, more quiet, by far more safe (5 stars and excellent rating), better looking from all angles, less fuel consumption, better electronics and by far better quality in all areas, interior and exterior, more accessories available... And the car is sold out from the factory until October now. I am quite sure the F10 will be a huge success for BMW.

Best regards,

TGII

Right... well notwithstanding your personal opinion about my opinion and your experience with three different E60s (which I don't see relevance) is that F10 has gained a lot of weight (and I've driven the F10 550i at a dealer recently) and it's steering and cornering doesn't float my boat. It doesn't feel as agile as the E60.

And when you say 'more dynamic, more comfortable' etc etc... well let me tell you something mate, we (our family) own the E60 (mine), an LCI Individual limited edition E65 7 Series Luminance and the current E70 X5 Innovative Edition. Now, the F10 interior feels cheap and I'll tell you why - it looks VERY similar to the E70 X5 and its touch finish isn't very exquisite. Now... more comfortable eh? If you want a comfortable car, I'd opt for the Mercedes Benz E-Class. For our family, if we want comfort, we'd take the E65 7 Series, which is much more comfortable than the F10. Now, the F01 7 Series platform is actually based off the LCI E65. Now the interior of the F01 is very similar to the F10. They all look the same - boring if you ask me.

And the exterior design - it's subjective, but I think it looks shit especially the front.

So in my opinion, you're wrong ^^
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006

Right... well notwithstanding your personal opinion about my opinion and your experience with three different E60s (which I don't see relevance) is that F10 has gained a lot of weight (and I've driven the F10 550i at a dealer recently) and it's steering and cornering doesn't float my boat. It doesn't feel as agile as the E60.

And when you say 'more dynamic, more comfortable' etc etc... well let me tell you something mate, we (our family) own the E60 (mine), an LCI Individual limited edition E65 7 Series Luminance and the current E70 X5 Innovative Edition. Now, the F10 interior feels cheap and I'll tell you why - it looks VERY similar to the E70 X5 and its touch finish isn't very exquisite. Now... more comfortable eh? If you want a comfortable car, I'd opt for the Mercedes Benz E-Class. For our family, if we want comfort, we'd take the E65 7 Series, which is much more comfortable than the F10. Now, the F01 7 Series platform is actually based off the LCI E65. Now the interior of the F01 is very similar to the F10. They all look the same - boring if you ask me.

And the exterior design - it's subjective, but I think it looks shit especially the front.

So in my opinion, you're wrong ^^

LOL
Hi my friend,

If you really and honestly think that F10 is a joke and that BMW´s mighty days are over and that they are idiots when building the F10 - then I see no reason to continue this discussion. I still say the following: If you don't like the new F10, that doesn't mean that there would be something wrong with the car. As you mentioned, design is subjective, and so are all other features as well. If you don't like it, don't buy it! What I did is that I described some areas where F10 is superior to E60, that used to be the best car in the market for me - until the F10 was launched. And regarding Merc, I have had eight of them and I have to say that no more thanks, never!

BR

TGII
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello,
Best regards,
TGII
+ 1.

The E60 looks now old, sorry to say.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Hi my friend,

If you really and honestly think that F10 is a joke and that BMW´s mighty days are over and that they are idiots when building the F10 - then I see no reason to continue this discussion. I still say the following: If you don't like the new F10, that doesn't mean that there would be something wrong with the car. As you mentioned, design is subjective, and so are all other features as well. If you don't like it, don't buy it! What I did is that I described some areas where F10 is superior to E60, that used to be the best car in the market for me - until the F10 was launched. And regarding Merc, I have had eight of them and I have to say that no more thanks, never!

BR

TGII
Yeah, I'm not sure what that other guy test-drove but the F10 is certainly no joke. I agree that styling is subjective and that one could argue for days about the weight gain issue and steering feel. What's fact, however, is that this (550i) is the fastest 5 series yet produced outside of a M5 (and it's not that far off from it either). With the Sports package and Dynamic handling, I feel that the F10 is every bit as competent in handling as the E60 but surpasses it easily as far as refinement, ride quality, and features. As a matter of fact, the multi-contour seats in my 550i are hands-down the most comfortable seats I've had in any car! I test-drove the E-Class some time back and thought that it didn't blend sportiness and comfort as well as the F10. It's funny how some of you put the E60 on such a high pedastal but let's not forget that when the E60 was first introduced, it was universally despised by BMW enthusiasts, the automotive media and the general public. It took quite some time for the E60 to gain general acceptance but now, it's one of the best-selling models for BMW. The F10 may or may not reach the level of success obtained over the years by the E60 but to dismiss the car and say it has already failed is just plain naive.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

I can not agree - the more I see F10 on streets, the less impressive it looks. I especially dislike the front. I did test drive 525d F10 - the car feels luxuriuos inside - but I had feeling that something in missing in driving experience - it felt 'just another car', not the 'a new BMW'. I'm 35 and the car did not appeal to me. I guess in 15 years this kind of car will grow on me - but not now. Hope BMW will make something that looks and drives like BMW

Originally Posted by Ricracing
+ 1.

The E60 looks now old, sorry to say.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the weight of this vehicle! Even with all its weight it kicked that SRT8's ass pretty badly..... I watched that video several times, it's amazing how comfortable the F10 was while passing that 500+ horsepower HEMI machine.....

My recommendation for those that don't like how the F10 looks, go get a 2010 E60 550i (you'll get the new nice looking iDrive) and add a Dinan package which will get you to 400+ hp that will make pretty close to the F10 from a speed point of view and enjoy.

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Yeah, I'm not sure what that other guy test-drove but the F10 is certainly no joke. I agree that styling is subjective and that one could argue for days about the weight gain issue and steering feel. What's fact, however, is that this (550i) is the fastest 5 series yet produced outside of a M5 (and it's not that far off from it either). With the Sports package and Dynamic handling, I feel that the F10 is every bit as competent in handling as the E60 but surpasses it easily as far as refinement, ride quality, and features. As a matter of fact, the multi-contour seats in my 550i are hands-down the most comfortable seats I've had in any car! I test-drove the E-Class some time back and thought that it didn't blend sportiness and comfort as well as the F10. It's funny how some of you put the E60 on such a high pedastal but let's not forget that when the E60 was first introduced, it was universally despised by BMW enthusiasts, the automotive media and the general public. It took quite some time for the E60 to gain general acceptance but now, it's one of the best-selling models for BMW. The F10 may or may not reach the level of success obtained over the years by the E60 but to dismiss the car and say it has already failed is just plain naive.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

[quote name='Moopai' date='01 July 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1278015574' post='1199966']
I'm not sure why people are complaining about the weight of this vehicle! Even with all its weight it kicked that SRT8's ass pretty badly..... I watched that video several times, it's amazing how comfortable the F10 was while passing that 500+ horsepower HEMI machine.....

I hope you're being facetious about that lousy video. You would have to be smoking some serious stuff to think an F10 could beat a Grand Cherokee SRT8.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Ugggh!

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Comparison