F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

bmw 5 series.... made in china?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty basic - If BMW wants to continue selling BMWs in China they will build them there with substantial China content.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Originally Posted by pukka
Everyone thought the world was coming to an end when BMW and MB started building cars here in the U.S.

That seemed to work ok - so from a quality standpoint what's the big deal if China does the same?
I am one of BMW owners who dislike BMWs that get manufactured in the US. We own an X5, and the build quality is absolutely ridiculous compared to my E60 5 Series and LCI E65 7 Series Luminance.

And I had to get so many things repaired on the first day of picking up a brand new X5. The comfort seats weren't working, the Active Steering was getting error messages, the NAV screen just died whenever it wanted... the list goes on... oh, and the flexing between the joints of the cars are ridiculous too. Like, I thought adding teflon tapes to my 5 Series was so stupid, but the X5 is just beyond the flexing noises from the 5 Series.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006
I am one of BMW owners who dislike BMWs that get manufactured in the US. We own an X5, and the build quality is absolutely ridiculous compared to my E60 5 Series and LCI E65 7 Series Luminance.

And I had to get so many things repaired on the first day of picking up a brand new X5. The comfort seats weren't working, the Active Steering was getting error messages, the NAV screen just died whenever it wanted... the list goes on... oh, and the flexing between the joints of the cars are ridiculous too. Like, I thought adding teflon tapes to my 5 Series was so stupid, but the X5 is just beyond the flexing noises from the 5 Series.
Not all X5's are built in the Greenville SC USA assembly plant ... maybe yours was assembled somewhere else?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by kscarrol
+1 on the ratios but needing some zeros! The Chinese surplus is 4 Trillion vs US debt of 15 Trillion...
I simply don't understand those huge, really huge figures. Nor do I understand the US debt.
I have no loans what so ever, only savings.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by turboawd
older article that i just came across
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hina-5-series/ wonder if they'll bring them over here.
They are made for the huge Chinese and India markets and will not be exported to US nor EU.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Not all X5's are built in the Greenville SC USA assembly plant ... maybe yours was assembled somewhere else?
Nope, definitely made in the US, we checked after having so many issues, we initially complained to the dealer that German made cars ridiculous, then the dealer said that our X5 was in fact built and brought in from the United States. And as long as that happens, we won't be buying another X5.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

I would demand that my BMW not be assembled with any portion in China or I'll shop for another brand but still not Lexota.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Many of the parts in EVERY BMW are made in China. And for for every other car maker as well.
Get used to it. The Chinese can do perfectly capable work.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSRL_2006

Regarding the quality of the X5 I haven't also heard anything positive for most cases. Though in Germany customer satisfaction was rather positive. But as for the first generation, here in Armenia too most of the owners complain a lot about quality. But it's however surprising how sales figures of the X5 are continuously growing. As for the 5 Series, I think wherever built its quality will be at top level, because it's a much more important car in terms of profit making for BMW. So as far as the 5 Series is concerned, I don't worry.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Awesome! More reason to NOT EVEN Fking THINK ABOUT GETTING ANOTHER BIMMER! FU BMW!

Really awesome, because i like white color of BMW car....

Quick Reply: bmw 5 series.... made in china?