F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Another F10 520D Delivered!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Well, it finally arrived :-) Handed over my LCI E60 520D A M Sport for an F10 520D SE.

First impressions are all good, especially how mouch more powerful and refined to 2.0D has become. A totally different experience inside and outside the car compared to the E60.

Also, SAT & VDC together is awesome. Although I don't have Actiove Steering or Active anti roll bars, it is still great fun to be able to alter some of the handling and drivetrain characteristics in tandem! haven't played too much with the Sport or Sport + settings as have been working all week, but bring on the weekend :-)

Instead of waiting for the M Sport I added Sports Seats, Steering Wheel, SAT, VDC and 18" alloys to my spec, and so far am happy with the compromise on looks & handling Vs all-out sportiness in the M Sport.

The 8 speed auto is fantastic on the way up the gearbox (1 - 3 consumed in moments even under gentle accelleration), but slightly harsh on the way back down the gears in heavy traffic situations. Also, the Auto H function is a charm in heavy traffic, but a total pain in the ass if trying to edge into a parking space.

Anyway I'll give her a wash and a polish at the weekend and post some pics.

ArtC
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Congrats man! Enjoy the ride... I am
Looking forward to the pics!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats artc for your new fine car

Lots of pics, please.

PS. Gears 1 - 3 are a bit harsh.
Also in the speed of about 80 km/h (about 53 mph) on the cruise the engine roars badly.
The engine simply don't run nicely under 1.500 rpm's. The 520dA needs a SW update!
These facts can be verified by 6 other Finnish F10 520dA owners.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Thought people had forgotten about titanium silver for the F10. Nice spec. congrats- Have you noticed an improvement on the runflats on our roads? Personally didn't mind the e60 RFTs but understand new ones are much better. I have only seens 4-3 F10 on the roads so your in rare company. Enjoy.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

The 18" Contis that came with my 328's are much better (softer ride) than the old 17" Dunlops on my E61
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Scandic24
The 18" Contis that came with my 328's are much better (softer ride) than the old 17" Dunlops on my E61
19 - 20" non RF's!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
19 - 20" non RF's!
Yes...I know, I know..
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by BRAD
Thought people had forgotten about titanium silver for the F10. Nice spec. congrats- Have you noticed an improvement on the runflats on our roads? Personally didn't mind the e60 RFTs but understand new ones are much better. I have only seens 4-3 F10 on the roads so your in rare company. Enjoy.
Still feeling my way a little, but so far, yes they do seem better.
I'm running 18's with Conti Sports Contact 3's and have come from an M SPort with non run flats on 18" and the F10 is defo better at cushioning the smaller bumps on the road surface. Higher sidewall profile is helping I'm sure.

Seems there is far less vibration in the steering wheel from smaller surface cracks / holes and only the really big ones send a bit of a bang through the car.....
Old 08-14-2010, 04:40 AM
Members

Hi Artc,

Congrats on the great car....

Just wondering when you get a chance if you could tell a little about the VDC and the Sports Automatic gearbox.

I am getting this exact config and although living in Germany I do plan to trip back to Ireland in the car and so have taken the VDC for the Irish country roads mainly as well as some of the dodgy roads in cities here in Germany.

Can you tell me if the comfort setting really makes a notable difference to the dampers and suspension so that the ride is smoother.

Cheers,
D
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Contributors

D - regarding VDC with SAT there is a difference between the settings. I live in a fairly rural area where some of the roads have heavy agricultural machinery on them consistently and are badly worn. as a resuilt the surface is kind of an amalgamation of years of repairs rather than layer of tarmac!

Very early assesment would be that on very broken surfaces the Comfort setting is not the best. 'Normal' seems to be ideal for these. 'Comfort' may be optimised for more flowing driving on well surfaced roads where you are not asking much of the cars handling but looking for a softer, more floaty ride.

Sport and Sport+ also set the gearbox into its Sport setting, meaning higher revs in each gear and later upchanges. If you don't want this you can set in iDrive that only suspension settings are changed and that the gearbox stays in 'standard' setting. The paddles behind the steering wheel are nice and have a quality action to them.

Sorry my assesment of the comfort setting is not more scientific - its early days, so give me some more time with the car and I may have a better comparison for you.

ArtC