F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

550i vs Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes. The guy in question was in Toronto and was arrested and lst his license for aeriod of time. His thread was titled "going 140 in a 40". Apparently cops were tipped off by someone from this forum who lives in the Midwest (or so the cops said). They then investigated and local residents of the neighborhood that he had speeded through cooperated with the police and gave him up. The incident was well covered in the Toronto media.

Personally, I think that anyone who boasts about illegal behavior in a public forum is bat shit crazy.
That's just bad luck, there are no rules on the Internet I can say what I want fuck America lol But I wasn't tryna brag abt the speeds we were going I was more impressed by the F10 especially after how much ppl on this board shit on that car

Originally Posted by tnycman
The cops have to testify in court and have prof that he even went that fast ? With a good lawyer he should get off the hook.. what if he didn't tell the truth and just made up the story? Or even a typo on the message board..
No laser gun no prof not guilty I would say.. At least here in US.

So none of you went at least 120 or more on a highway ? Imma use a proxy when i post my top speed on the board next time.. lol
Old 10-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

On a quiet road its not difficult to max out pretty quick. Its always the first thing I do in a new car to get it out of my system.

May i suggest to some of the people who are alarmed by these posts to find a road and try it. 140 in my car feels very very relaxed, no drama, no blurring of reality, no time travel in fact I even think I took a call from a customer while doing it.

for the benefit of the police I've made this all up, I've never gone over 30 mph, taken off the traction control or read a tweet on the i-drive

a time and place for everything chaps
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
no time travel in fact I even think I took a call from a customer while doing it.
What a multitakser
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
On a quiet road its not difficult to max out pretty quick. Its always the first thing I do in a new car to get it out of my system.

May i suggest to some of the people who are alarmed by these posts to find a road and try it. 140 in my car feels very very relaxed, no drama, no blurring of reality, no time travel in fact I even think I took a call from a customer while doing it.

for the benefit of the police I've made this all up, I've never gone over 30 mph, taken off the traction control or read a tweet on the i-drive

a time and place for everything chaps
140 feels relaxed, what if you hit a pothole, or you lose control and hit someone whos out at night changing a tire on the side of a highway? Will it still be cool to go that fast? Someone from work was racing someone else and lost control in his s4 and hit a family who was out of the car changing a tire. Knocked 4 people off the highway to the below underpass, and one of the kids I believe died. Not to mention if a cop lasers you, you will be screwed. You can have a radar detector, but it won't help if you get hit by a hiding cop with a laser gun. He will call ahead to have a cop pull your ass over, and you know what happens in Texas when you are going that fast? They take your car which you will never get back, and you will still have to pay for it.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by tex_phil
140 feels relaxed, what if you hit a pothole, or you lose control and hit someone whos out at night changing a tire on the side of a highway? Will it still be cool to go that fast? Someone from work was racing someone else and lost control in his s4 and hit a family who was out of the car changing a tire. Knocked 4 people off the highway to the below underpass, and one of the kids I believe died. Not to mention if a cop lasers you, you will be screwed. You can have a radar detector, but it won't help if you get hit by a hiding cop with a laser gun. He will call ahead to have a cop pull your ass over, and you know what happens in Texas when you are going that fast? They take your car which you will never get back, and you will still have to pay for it.
Pretty tuff love there in Texas.

I'm talking about Motorways, autoroutes and autobahns when it nice and quiet. Not racing round bends or in built up areas where people could get in the way. As I've said in my post 70,80,90 and beyond and the car is not even stretched. Remember in Germany these cars are doing speeds like this every day all day. The UK speed limit of 70 was set 50 years ago and highway code braking distances are all set in a car with drum brakes all round on cross-ply tyres. the limit looks like it will increase to 80 in 2013 but the local police here wont worry about you below 100. Speeding cameras however are a different matter and a few years ago I was banned for 4 weeks for 106 on the motorway (I booked 4 weeks of work and had a lovely holiday in Grand Bahama)

I'd pull my beemer up in a lot shorter distance than the average joe and his 7 year old, badly maintained, midsize eurobox, even at 100+ Vs him at the legal limit.

I maintain that at the right place and the right time 140mph is not reckless or dangerous
Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

My 2cents;

I love speed more that anything. I used to race in the salt flats with turbine driven monsters. I must tell you 150mph on the street is simply ludicrous!!!!

That is why BMW drivers have reputation for racing anything, I mean common why the hell would you race a Sentra which I have seen.

Granted we don't have track like Nuremberg but still there are good local tracks everywhere. It is just mad and you are missing the point.

Peace
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

I see this topic is going in another direction..
Well I go over 100 almost daily on the way home, obviously when is safe to do so, and slow down cuz the cops in Jersey got nothing better to do just looking for speeding drivers all day and night.. If you don;t push this car to limits its a waste. A prius get 80mph too mine as drive one if you not going over that and save on the gas and everything else..
One thing i never do speed on the local roads NEVA, I would never forgive myself if i hit a kid or pedestrian .. Highway its a whole another story sometimes I'll go as much as this sucker can take it.. That's why god didn't give me an M5 :-), I swear I could time travel with that beast..
If you think of a pathole or a tire that gets bad, why no think of an old laddie, or drunk/stoned/suicidal driver entering the highway the wrong way.. There are many things that could go wrong in life no matter how much of caution you use and you can't avoid ..
Anyway drive fast and be safe people..
Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

You can do whatever you like but don't tell me you are safe doing 100+ on the freeway or the street for that matter. You moving 100mph objects will come really fast towards you plus you can be safe all you want at the end of the day is just Physics brother!

One more time "DOING 100+ ANYWHERE BSIDES THE TRACK IS STUPID AND DANGEROUS"
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

We are defnitely off from the OP's original intent. But now that we are there.....there are lots of great road courses out there, and it doesn't cost that much for the proper inspections and get a pass to put your car out on one.

I get the fun of going fast, but it's much more impressive to see what a car can really do when you start adding twisites. Not that gunning an engine isn't a thrill, but that is such a small piece of what makes the experience. All the other good stuff can only be done on the track.

Now that being said, I'd love to see one of the new 550's out at VIR. Always a good to see a sedan out there that can keep up with 'track only' cars.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ceenit
We are defnitely off from the OP's original intent. But now that we are there.....there are lots of great road courses out there, and it doesn't cost that much for the proper inspections and get a pass to put your car out on one.

I get the fun of going fast, but it's much more impressive to see what a car can really do when you start adding twisites. Not that gunning an engine isn't a thrill, but that is such a small piece of what makes the experience. All the other good stuff can only be done on the track.

Now that being said, I'd love to see one of the new 550's out at VIR. Always a good to see a sedan out there that can keep up with 'track only' cars.
I agree with this, I been wanting to autoX my car for the longest

Quick Reply: 550i vs Me