F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
Time for some folks to accept that the world is changing... We'll be seeing many more smaller forced induction engines in the near future, and there's no reason why these powerplants won't be as effective and engaging as the ones we drive today. I fully expect BMW, MB or Audi etc to deliver the goods with these smaller turbo units. BMW like others doesn't have much choice, CAFE and other regulatory requirements are what they are and there's not much else BMW can do to improve overall fleet efficiency. If anything a physically smaller I4 has the potential to improve performance - the current I6 is a long engine, and BMW will be able to mount a smaller I4 engine a little further back, thus aiding overall balance and turn-in. I really don't see much downside here. I do, however, feel that if BMW is going to deliver I4 engines in the US they ought to go with the diesels. Proven engines, and a bigger impact on CAFE. Either way, I don't think the average owner is going to either know or care too much that their entry(ish) level 5 Series may have an I4 and not an I6 - and nor should they.

VERY well said Steven, I agree, I'd love to see the engine from the 120d come to the US. Good power and 65.7 mpg!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would gladly welcome a twin turbo 4! 245hp 250ftlbs thats way more than I got. MMMMM upgrades ha ha ...test out my "Stage 2" right Pjinca
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Time for some folks to accept that the world is changing... We'll be seeing many more smaller forced induction engines in the near future, and there's no reason why these powerplants won't be as effective and engaging as the ones we drive today.
Yes, who could guessed 10 years ago that a new 2.0 l L4 diesel would be much stronger than an old L6 3.0 gasoline enigine,
and would double the milage?

Adding to this, when US government really must tax the gasoline a bit more (do to your huge, HUGE DEBT, mostly to China) the gas milage will be an relevant interest over there also.

Sometimes I just wonder, why some of you US guys are so ignorent about the world facts?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Time for some folks to accept that the world is changing... We'll be seeing many more smaller forced induction engines in the near future, and there's no reason why these powerplants won't be as effective and engaging as the ones we drive today. I fully expect BMW, MB or Audi etc to deliver the goods with these smaller turbo units. BMW like others doesn't have much choice, CAFE and other regulatory requirements are what they are and there's not much else BMW can do to improve overall fleet efficiency. If anything a physically smaller I4 has the potential to improve performance - the current I6 is a long engine, and BMW will be able to mount a smaller I4 engine a little further back, thus aiding overall balance and turn-in. I really don't see much downside here. I do, however, feel that if BMW is going to deliver I4 engines in the US they ought to go with the diesels. Proven engines, and a bigger impact on CAFE. Either way, I don't think the average owner is going to either know or care too much that their entry(ish) level 5 Series may have an I4 and not an I6 - and nor should they.
++1
Old 06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
++1
Makes sence. Ask your kids...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

the audi A4 had a 2.0 turbo 4 for years. i never heard anyone jumping up and down for joy about that POS.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Diamond
thats actally not true. The newest and largest find is the "dry" oil fields in canada near alberta. It is all oil stored in a dry/dirt form that they found and has to be processed but makes even a more pure oil according to the show I saw on it. Anyway oil will be plenty for our lifetimes and that is all I care about
...or then it is the most vast environment disaster ever...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bedford530i
Sorry - I'm not spending $50K+ on a car with a 4-cylinder engine no matter how much HP it has. 4-cylinder != "luxury". :thumbsdown:
Ditto
Old 06-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Now that BMW is turning to all turbo engines have they ever fixed their fuel pump problems?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Members

This is really super news. It means we can cross-shop a whole range of cars, starting with Hyundai, that never were competitive with the NA 6-powered car.

Quick Reply: 528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September