F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the question asked in another thread, thought it'd be helpful to start a thread on it.

According to the Twinpower 4-cylinder 2.0L Motor Rollout Schedule, the F10 528i will switch from its current naturally aspirated inline-6 motor to the all new twinpower inline-4 cylinder 2.0L turbo motor.

If you're a fan of naturally aspirated motors better get them soon! Looks like BMW is going the way of forced induction across the board soon.
Even the next M3 will get a turbo 6 cylinder.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The L4 1.4 l, 1.6 and 2.0 l gasoline turbo engines will come for sure to BMW's.

BMW has already made a 1.6 liter turbo engine for the World Rally Championship (www.wrc.com/) with the Mini.
And the 2.0 liter diesel is a great engine, so it's natural that this development will continue.

But also the 3.0 l L6 is a fantastic engine, so I guess the 530i will be a turbo L6 and the new 520i and 525i
will be L4 turbo's.

But let us see.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Contributors

The beginning of the end is already upon us for BMW and performance N/A engines, and with this, many enthusiasts shall be forced to find new marquees to enjoy a real engine. It is pathetic that BMW, and engine company first and foremost, has abandoned naturally aspired performance engines across the board, and shows that all tradition and history has been thrown out the window for market share and green envy. BMW is becoming GM and may very well share its same fate some day. It will be very interesting to see how well the 5er sells in the US with a 4 cylinder engine. I just dont see it personally, I think that those in the market for an F10, even an entry level F10, will be put off by the engine when the cost of the vehicle is taken into account. This is a premium luxury sedan and unless specifically ordered stripped down, will be in excess of $50K even in the 528 guise with minimal options. 4 cylinder and luxury cars dont mix in the US, this cant be anything but a failure in the end.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

^^^^ I dunno, a I4 turbo with 245HP would still have 20 more posies than my I6 NA (M54 = 225HP), so the performance at the entry level is there. Also, between the fuel economy and emissions targets set by the EU and the US, I can't imagine too many other companies that consider themselves "performance" oriented will still be using NA engines either. They just can't match the economy or emissions of the TT engines. BMW is being smart by adapting their DNA ahead of the game.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Contributors

the point really comes down to though, do you NEED the extra 20 ponies, or is the N54 just fine as it is in terms of performance, and with the response of a naturally aspired I6? The claims are always about more performance, but is that the only measure that the new engine is better? We're not talking significant mpg gains either, so I just dont buy that arguement for the F10. Yes, I can see that they entry level 3er and 1er will now offer a 4cyl TT in the FXX versions, and as these are the volume cars for BMW sales, the importance is not lost that by switching to the more efficient engines in these volume cars will help out the corporate average for fuel efficiency. However, cars like the 5er or 6er that sell mere fractions of the sales volume when compared to the 1er/3er, have a limitied effect on the cafe levels and dont really serve to help this much, however, they make the engines significantly more cost effective for BMW, which has become their mantra. Yes, they are in business to make money, and they do just that, but when you take the performance and enthusiasts out of the equation, the Brand loses its mystique and then it doesnt matter what is offered, they become MB for better or worse. This is just more profit taking and greed rather than listening to their core customers, and its really a sad day in motoring history that BMW has come to this. There may be a place for these engines in the BMW lineup, but not in supposed "performace" luxury segments like the 5er and 6er.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Members

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Sorry - I'm not spending $50K+ on a car with a 4-cylinder engine no matter how much HP it has. 4-cylinder != "luxury". :thumbsdown:
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Shittay...
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

I'm not sure what the number of cylinders has to do with anything?

You should try one first. My 4cyl diesel is a great little engine.

I'm sure it out performs Bedfords smokey old 530i with the new gear knob!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

i think the main thing i have to say is that no matter how the car drives, americans will not pay $50k for a 4 cylinder luxury sedan...I certainly would not. It is sad to see the transition towards forced induction across the board.

Quick Reply: 528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September