F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

HAHAHA don't get me wrong, when my car gets replaced it will be replaced with a V-8 (550i or M5, whichever I can do at the time)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
there is, with forced induction.
I'm all for forced induction for efficiency sake but I will say that no FI car sounds the same/as good as a proper V8.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by terps
I'm all for forced induction for efficiency sake but I will say that no FI car sounds the same/as good as a proper V8.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by terps
While I personally wouldn't mind driving a $50k car with a 4 cylinder engine as long as it performed well, I agree that most americans do care about the # of cylinders and equate that somehow with luxury/prestige/etc... and that's a mindset that's going to take a long time to reverse IMO.
+1

This new turbo 4 will likely have much more low end torque than the NA 6 in the 528 now. As long as it has a healthy exhaust note and is smooth, its hard to argue with such an efficient option.

Caddy and some other V8s have a system that shuts off 1/2 the cylinders when cruising...I'm no mathematician, but I believe that's a 4 cylinder.

Its such a status thing in the U.S. Just like enthusiasts wouldn't de caught dead driving a slushbox 3 or 4 speed auto 20 years ago, now the dual clutch boxes are faster than manuals. So too can a cutting edge 4 cylinder turbo from BMW perform like a modest sized straight 6.

I'm thinking of getting my wife a new 5 to replace our guzzler X5 4.8. I had a loaded 550i sport and I'm sorry, but IMHO $70k+ for a loaded 535xi is too much bread.

DRP
Old 02-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

When the oil is gone (in some 50 years) and the Chinese wants their money back from the US, times will change.

It is wise to act now! Doesn't anyone of you realize what is happening right now?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by Ricracing
When the oil is gone (in some 50 years) and the Chinese wants their money back from the US, times will change.

It is wise to act now! Doesn't anyone of you realize what is happening right now?
Not to worry the Oil will last a lot longer than 50 years, new Oil fields have been found bigger than the ones currently in use.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by johnbmwx6
Not to worry the Oil will last a lot longer than 50 years, new Oil fields have been found bigger than the ones currently in use.
Yes, if the US citizens would realize the facts. But the new oil founds will be found north of Russia.

Actually the '12 X1 will get the the new 2.0 gasoline L4 TT with 245 hp and 350 Nm at 1,250 rpm's, as a 28i.
Not bad, not bad at all.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

I just hope BMW finds a cure to fix these defective high pressure fuel pump with their turbos.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by m630

M3 all the way, its probably the best balance that can be had, hands down, imho.

Certainly everyone must be able to justify the cost of these things and not throw away money if it cannot be trully afforded, there are many more important things in life than nice powerful cars, so I totally agree that priorities must be in the equation.

Its just interesting discussions in the end, I just key in on the words you use, and I still wonder though, if not for the taxes on the car and the fuel, would you still want the 4cyl? Or to say it another way, all things equal in terms of car price and taxes, if you had the choice - a 6 cyl natural aspiration engine with 230hp vs 4cyl twinturbo with about the same power and nearly the same consumption, which do you choose?
4cylinder turbo everyday for me, if you're coming from a performance perspective. Think about how much more power you get out of a 535 vs. a 530 granted they are both 6cylinders I know this. But when you dig deep look at it this way a 535 with a flash from Dinan, and I know there are better but just for numbers sake lets use them. A stage 2 flash for 2k you're now making more power than a 550 and that was with just simple software, I'm not hating on the 550 or v8 as I own a 550 and I love everything about it. Oh and dinan does make a chip for the 550 as well but you gain 8hp and 5ft lbs over stock while in the 535 you gain 78hp and 116ft lbs over stock.

But when push comes to shove and you're talking about performance lets be real here and look at the bigger picture if you ask me more power and performance out of a smaller engine with potential for even more, you have to ask yourself why not? More power from less cylinders, it will still be a BMW be smooth easily make even more power. It's not like they are talking about putting a motor from an Accord into the thing where your tranny is hunting for gears while climbing a mountain pass it will act just like the 6 just be more efficient have more potential as far as more performance is concerned. Only thing you lose is saying you have a 6cylinder but does that really matter? At the point it almost becomes embarrassing your buddies car makes more power than you do with 2 less cylinders, what do you say "well I have 6cylinders"? Yeah you really showed him..

I know this is comparing apples to oranges in the fact that Mitsubishi and Subaru are not even remotely in the same class as far as quality etc. But for performance sake an evo which is a 2.0ltr Turbo 4 cylinder and STI 2.5ltr Turbo running on e85 get 30mpg on the fwy with a flash, boost controller intake and exhaust will eat an m5 in every category short of sex appeal luxury and the oh so sweet exhaust note, but we are talking performance anyway.

I'm not trying to take stabs at anyone or anything just simply stating facts about the performance, maybe open up your minds a little but and don't be so closed minded with what BMW has in store for us. It will still be the BMW we all love, and honestly complaining about it isn't going to change that it will happen.

Tyler
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Members

For a 4-cyl. turbo sedan, I'll take the Buick Regal, thanks, and use the change to buy a Countryman AWD.

Quick Reply: 528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September