F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The 1 series would be a good place for a 4-banger, maaaybe even the 3er.

But the 5er? the car is too heavy IMO. That engine would have to work too hard to pull the weight, which means it would be more likely to have problems as the miles rack up. It might be better off with an oversized 4 (like the 2.5l in the Altima) - but that's not much smaller than the 3.0l engines in the cars now

4 cylinder engines are best left alone except for go-carts and lawnmowers
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Yes, if the US citizens would realize the facts. But the new oil founds will be found north of Russia.

Actually the '12 X1 will get the the new 2.0 gasoline L4 TT with 245 hp and 350 Nm at 1,250 rpm's, as a 28i.
Not bad, not bad at all.
thats actally not true. The newest and largest find is the "dry" oil fields in canada near alberta. It is all oil stored in a dry/dirt form that they found and has to be processed but makes even a more pure oil according to the show I saw on it. Anyway oil will be plenty for our lifetimes and that is all I care about
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a really ridiculous comparison to make between the 535 v. 530 and the new 4TT v. the 6 cylinder. Like you say the 535 was able to make nearly 100 more hp over the non-tt 530.

However the entire point of this debate is the I4 TT pretty much makes the same or less power (atleast than the 255hp version n52) with a bit more torque maybe. HOWEVEVER the boost on the 14 is already at 16-18 psi (v. the n54 is at 6-8) therefore tuning potential will not be there at anywhere near the n54 engine. So you are comparing an I4TT engine that offers better fuel efficiency, however at a cost of losing the unique smooth feel and the unique sound of bmw's I6 engines. Even the recent comparo noted the sound and feel just wasnt there-no linear smooth power feel. Sure a bit more low end torque but at what cost.

If the i4TT had 50 more horsepower or more than sure-bring it on but for the same power its not worth gaining a few mpg and losing the entire feel and sound of a bmw-which is probably the biggest reason people enjoyed a bmw engine in the first place. There is not a lot about a bmw that is great if you take away the amazing engines. Its not reliable, doesnt have the best build quality and styling is always questionable to some. The engine has to be good in every way or whats the point in going bmw
Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond
Anyway oil will be plenty for our lifetimes and that is all I care about
Reading your posts, this pretty much sums you up.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: bmw 530d bmw x5 3.0d bmw 320i opel corsa opc bmw 135i dct

sml engine , same price , more profit (im sure) for the manufacturer !!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Members

Hi everyone,

Any new info regarding this 2.0T 4-cyl appearing this september in the F10 for MY2012?

Thanks...

SY
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
there's NO replacement for displacement!
Sorry to say but there is; charging and computers.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Diamond
Anyway oil will be plenty for our lifetimes and that is all I care about
Now the fact came out... hope you don't make kids.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I have a unique and novel idea. Let's wait until the car is actually produced, DRIVE it and then draw our conclusions and voice our opinions. Make sense?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Time for some folks to accept that the world is changing... We'll be seeing many more smaller forced induction engines in the near future, and there's no reason why these powerplants won't be as effective and engaging as the ones we drive today. I fully expect BMW, MB or Audi etc to deliver the goods with these smaller turbo units. BMW like others doesn't have much choice, CAFE and other regulatory requirements are what they are and there's not much else BMW can do to improve overall fleet efficiency. If anything a physically smaller I4 has the potential to improve performance - the current I6 is a long engine, and BMW will be able to mount a smaller I4 engine a little further back, thus aiding overall balance and turn-in. I really don't see much downside here. I do, however, feel that if BMW is going to deliver I4 engines in the US they ought to go with the diesels. Proven engines, and a bigger impact on CAFE. Either way, I don't think the average owner is going to either know or care too much that their entry(ish) level 5 Series may have an I4 and not an I6 - and nor should they.

Quick Reply: 528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September