F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by jmemahoney
Well, if it's good enough for Formula 1...
Formula 1 4cl

J
Is it feasable to put F1 motors in DDers? And how much do those cars weigh?? If everyone can afford to blow up 8 motors a year i say lets do it
Old 01-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
there's NO replacement for displacement!
there is, with forced induction.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by skelevirus
YEAH CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW BADASS 2025 525i!!!! 245 HP!!! heres a pic of the engine!!!!

Attachment 116862
LMFAO

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The bigger ones head is the smarter one is, the fatter a man is the stronger he is

You US guys are sooo old-fashioned. Hey, the world has changed since the 60's.
Oh don't patronize-ificate us with yer fancy metasimiphorlis. This is AMURICA. Best planet on EARTH. Like it or GTFO

No but seriously. Best planet on Earth.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Marc, you have gone native!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Marc, you have gone native!
Natives? Where?....this is MY land. I'm taking it before they scalp me!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Originally Posted by terps
most americans do care about the # of cylinders and equate that somehow with luxury/prestige/etc... and that's a mindset that's going to take a long time to reverse IMO.
This is true. Speaking from experience and from behind my V8!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by terps
Saw the question asked in another thread, thought it'd be helpful to start a thread on it.

According to the Twinpower 4-cylinder 2.0L Motor Rollout Schedule, the F10 528i will switch from its current naturally aspirated inline-6 motor to the all new twinpower inline-4 cylinder 2.0L turbo motor.

If you're a fan of naturally aspirated motors better get them soon! Looks like BMW is going the way of forced induction across the board soon.
Even the next M3 will get a turbo 6 cylinder.
I think the new car should not be called 528, 525 seems more appropriate.

Originally Posted by m630
The beginning of the end is already upon us for BMW and performance N/A engines, and with this, many enthusiasts shall be forced to find new marquees to enjoy a real engine. It is pathetic that BMW, and engine company first and foremost, has abandoned naturally aspired performance engines across the board, and shows that all tradition and history has been thrown out the window for market share and green envy. BMW is becoming GM and may very well share its same fate some day. It will be very interesting to see how well the 5er sells in the US with a 4 cylinder engine. I just dont see it personally, I think that those in the market for an F10, even an entry level F10, will be put off by the engine when the cost of the vehicle is taken into account. This is a premium luxury sedan and unless specifically ordered stripped down, will be in excess of $50K even in the 528 guise with minimal options. 4 cylinder and luxury cars dont mix in the US, this cant be anything but a failure in the end.
Dude, that engine may end up being quite good
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pjinca
^^^^ I dunno, a I4 turbo with 245HP would still have 20 more posies than my I6 NA (M54 = 225HP), so the performance at the entry level is there. Also, between the fuel economy and emissions targets set by the EU and the US, I can't imagine too many other companies that consider themselves "performance" oriented will still be using NA engines either. They just can't match the economy or emissions of the TT engines. BMW is being smart by adapting their DNA ahead of the game.

Originally Posted by Bedford530i
Sorry - I'm not spending $50K+ on a car with a 4-cylinder engine no matter how much HP it has. 4-cylinder != "luxury". :thumbsdown:
Thought lots of people would say that, but you've got the 535 if you want more power, and 550 if you want LOTS of power. Would make sense if they lowered the price some though...

Originally Posted by houbmw
i think the main thing i have to say is that no matter how the car drives, americans will not pay $50k for a 4 cylinder luxury sedan...I certainly would not. It is sad to see the transition towards forced induction across the board.
Maybe times are changes.

Originally Posted by turboawd
there is, with forced induction.
LOL true
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by m630
We are in a different mindset, for sure, but in all honesty, if taxes and other local regulations that significantly increase the cost of cars in your area did not exist, would you still buy the smaller engine?
Well, a M3 or a M5/6 would be nice to play with for a while, but honestly, the 520d is a really nice car and does the job for me, with a margin.

But if there would be a L4 gas twinturbo with +200 hp and +400Nm of torgue at 1,500 rpm with a avarage consuption of under 6 liters/100 km and the price would be allright, I could change to a gasoline car.
It's the diesels torgue that does the F10 with a 2.0 l turbodiesel engine into a Luxury Sedan of the future, also in Northern America.

All you with kids or thinking of having some should really also think about the future.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Contributors

M3 all the way, its probably the best balance that can be had, hands down, imho.

Certainly everyone must be able to justify the cost of these things and not throw away money if it cannot be trully afforded, there are many more important things in life than nice powerful cars, so I totally agree that priorities must be in the equation.

Its just interesting discussions in the end, I just key in on the words you use, and I still wonder though, if not for the taxes on the car and the fuel, would you still want the 4cyl? Or to say it another way, all things equal in terms of car price and taxes, if you had the choice - a 6 cyl natural aspiration engine with 230hp vs 4cyl twinturbo with about the same power and nearly the same consumption, which do you choose?

Quick Reply: 528i to get 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo engine starting September