E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Xenon headlight wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by Be612569
This is the LCM underneath the foot panel of the driverside that needs to be fixed? How do I fix the module? How difficult is it? How much does it cost to get it fixed? I have a spare but I do believe it has to be coded.
I am waiting for obi wan @seanjordan20 to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
Be612569 (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You're going to have to do some testing in INPA before throwing money at it. Your brake light is having issues. You can visually check the connector (clean it) and wires but mostly its the back plane that is going bad. You also have adaptive and headlight faults. More than likely you have wires touching and or your LM/SCM is bad. You have to troubleshoot with INPA to see what needs to be replaced if it is not the wiring. I have never seen the LCM go bad so I would not look at that module until you've exhausted all means. Halos going in and out you will need to first look at the wiring and connectors. Clean them up. your short counter is telling you there is and issue in the wiring or connectors. You should have the module with diode combo. I would start there with the halo issue. Also check your SCM for the adaptive issue
Old 12-21-2022, 06:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i Xdrive e61 LCI
Default Good info but..

Halos going in and out you will need to first look at the wiring and connectors. THE WIRING AND CONNECTORS ARE FROM THR HARNESS? THE HEADLIGHTS I GOT ARE BRAND NEW.
You also have adaptive and headlight faults. More than likely you have wires touching and or your LM/SCM is bad. CAN THE LM BE REPAIRED? WHERE IS THE SCM LOCATED??

You have to troubleshoot with INPA to see what needs to be replaced if it is not the wiring. I have never seen the LCM go bad so I would not look at that module until you've exhausted. FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH BMWS, IF THERE IS TOO MUCH POWER GOING INTO THE HALO CIRCUIT (FROM LEFT SIDE TO RIGHT) THIS IN FACT DIRECTS THR LCM TO GO BAD???

WITH THE DIFFERENT FOOTWELL MODULE I GOT, CAN IT SIMPLY BE SWAPPED OUT AND TRIALED? I DID IN FACT SWAP IT OUT AND THE HALOS STILL DIDNT COME ON. IS THIS BECAUSE IT HAD TO BE CODEB AND SHORT CIRCUIT RESETTED TO HAVE THE HALOS FUNCTIONIG AGAIN?.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
Old 12-21-2022, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Excellent explanation @seanjordan20. I was going to say from the codes, there's definitely multiple things going on.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

THE WIRING AND CONNECTORS ARE FROM THR HARNESS? THE HEADLIGHTS I GOT ARE BRAND NEW. Do you have the LED halos with diode and module combo or a regular halo bulb? I understand headlights are brand new but are the modules you attached to it? When I say wiring and connectors that means what you plugged up to the headlights.

You also have adaptive and headlight faults. More than likely you have wires touching and or your LM/SCM is bad. CAN THE LM BE REPAIRED? WHERE IS THE SCM LOCATED?? When the LM/SCM goes bad it has to be replaced. The SCM goes bad due to moisture and its common.

FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH BMWS, IF THERE IS TOO MUCH POWER GOING INTO THE HALO CIRCUIT (FROM LEFT SIDE TO RIGHT) THIS IN FACT DIRECTS THR LCM TO GO BAD??? It could be but you have to troubleshoot first. To many things in between. Do you have an LM II/AHL paired with a FRM III. I need to know your specific car setup to understand what you need to do. I believe i know but need to be for sure

WITH THE DIFFERENT FOOTWELL MODULE I GOT, CAN IT SIMPLY BE SWAPPED OUT AND TRIALED? I DID IN FACT SWAP IT OUT AND THE HALOS STILL DIDNT COME ON. IS THIS BECAUSE IT HAD TO BE CODEB AND SHORT CIRCUIT RESETTED TO HAVE THE HALOS FUNCTIONIG AGAIN?. The short circuit counter is held in the module if you swapped it out then there is no short disabled unless you have a bad module your light should of came on. If the counter disabled the module then its doing its job. You have to fix the short circuit to get the halos back working. Once the short circuit disabled module the halos would not come in and out. Its either disabled or enabled meaning there was no need to reset it if it did not disable the circuit. All BMWs have halos meaning at a minimum all lights should of worked with the swap regardless of VIN programming or coding. If you swapped the module why not just code and program it to the car since you have BimmerGeeks. It would of gotten rid of the doubt of it being that module if that is what you thought it was.

I dont know what you have done this far but you need to troubleshoot from the light back including using INPA to activate actions. If you do not do it this way you are wasting your time and money buying replacement modules. If you do not have INPA then i would advise you get a copy to assist. You are using BimmerGeeks which is not a troubleshooting tool this is why they have a copy of BMW software tools available to download. Let us know what you come up with after troubleshooting the issue