E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What batteries fit in this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi Touring 6MT
Model Year: 2008
Default What batteries fit in this thing?

Hi folks,

I might need to replace a questionable battery in a new-to-me 2008 535xiT 6MT. My searches tell me the following:
  • These cars can use a variety of sizes (H7, H8, etc.).
  • These cars can use both FLA or AGM batteries.
  • Registration is recommended after battery replacement, and required when changing specs.

The battery in the car now is an Autocraft FLA H8. However, there is a 5/8" block of wood under the hold-down bracket, there are loose connectors (IBS?) hanging about, I don't see any vent lines, and I can see daylight through a hole in the compartment floor:

IMG_20170426_104707 - Imgur

IMG_20170426_104723 - Imgur

Being new to these cars, I don't know what is correct or incorrect.

I've read about brackets with multiple installation positions for multiple sizes, but I only see the two holes the bracket is currently mounted with. I don't see a BMW part number on the block of wood, so I'm not sure what to make of that. Where does the other end of the vent hose go? Is it missing completely?

I'm getting both unresettable/ghosted TPM faults (all sensors tested good) and High Rate of Battery Discharge faults. The next step is to replace the battery with an AGM. But because of this block of wood, I don't know what to order.

Was there a factory spacer under this bracket? Was something taller than an H8 installed in the E61 cars? I can't order until I know what I should order. Help!!

Last edited by chrispitude; 04-30-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi Touring 6MT
Model Year: 2008

So I've found that the E61 battery layout is indeed different than the E60, and I found a great E61 writeup with pictures here:

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...attery-102420/

This picture references a cargo tray held in by three screws:

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo.../#&gid=1&pid=3

But in my car, it looks like this cargo tray was sawzalled out:

46c2M43 - Imgur

I am not sure what to make of this. Is there a plastic tray that the battery is supposed to sit on, and that's why my H8 battery is too low? My battery is just sitting on the metal floor of the chassis.

I am also missing the battery clamp shown in the other guy's writeup; I just have empty space and a hole in the floor...

Ugh.

Last edited by chrispitude; 04-26-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007

Unfortunately it appears as though you either had a really bad diy'er po or they took the vehicle for service at a terrible service center.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:40 AM
Members

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i 2005, F11 528i 2012
Model Year: 2012

Certainly, a piece of wood does not belong there.
I would slowly bring this part of the car to its original condition.

Here is a link where the construction is described along with the parts.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Check what you need.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

Originally Posted by chrispitude
But in my car, it looks like this cargo tray was sawzalled out:

46c2M43 - Imgur

I am not sure what to make of this. Is there a plastic tray that the battery is supposed to sit on, and that's why my H8 battery is too low? My battery is just sitting on the metal floor of the chassis.
The battery cover tray was cut along the thin plastic molded hinge. It is intended to hinge outward, or you can remove the whole thing by removing a couple more nuts. Apparently someone decided to eliminate it. eBay is your friend.

There was no tray at the bottom of the battery well on my wagon, just painted metal with a patch of panel deadener. This is my post on my battery replacement experience.