E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

In the US, wagon owners are not GT buyers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

I have yet to check out how high or low you can adjust the Mercedes E55/E63 but I know someone with one in town to investigate. If I can get my head around winter driving with RWD, then maybe I'll go that route but I would also like to get better mpg than I do now.

The only options for decently fun driving + mpg are the Audi Q7, BMW x5D, etc. Otherwise the VW Jetta Sportwagon is just too simple for my taste even though 42mpg is easy. Other options for mpg/touring size are VW Touareg v6tdi or ML but they are a bit on the small side for an "suv"

It is frustrating.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Sweet rides you've had/got, Jwest! Not surprised though that the 535 has more volume than the S4. I'd expect to be quite a bit bigger than the S4 Avant, as the S4 is A4 based, and therefore more comparable to the 3 series, vs. the 535 wagon being comparable to their A6 Avant. The 5 wagon's length is 191" compared to 185" for the S4 Avant, and the Avant weighs about 350 lbs less.

Can you PM me any info on the reverse camera you have? Our 535 comes with every option practically EXCEPT the park distance, believe it or not, so I'm gathering info on which route to go to retrofit some aftermarket sensors or see about putting a camera back there, which sounds complicated, if I need to tie it into the iDrive screen... I've got a 2010 MY 535.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

I had Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue WA install the rear cameras on both the Audi and the BMW. They both view right on the nav screens. On the Audi it was a simple video input which allowed a manual on switch as well as in reverse. The bmw was plug and play but only allows viewing in reverse. It can use the entire screen width or the smaller 1/3 square on the right and is switchable via one of my steering wheels buttons.

I also have the parking distance sensors front and rear but wanted the convenience of the camera.

Yes, the S4 Avant is smaller than the 535T but it seems a little larger inside than the 328T was. I don't think the S4 weighs 350 lbs less though. Both of mine are 6 spd manual and I'll check them tonight. Some online info for the S4 Avant says 4100 lbs/automatic and another says 4012/ manual.

The biggest difference noticed driving is the longer BMW wheelbase, it's overall length doesn't really matter, the wheelbase softens out the high speed handling.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I had Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue WA install the rear cameras on both the Audi and the BMW. They both view right on the nav screens. On the Audi it was a simple video input which allowed a manual on switch as well as in reverse. The bmw was plug and play but only allows viewing in reverse. It can use the entire screen width or the smaller 1/3 square on the right and is switchable via one of my steering wheels buttons.

I also have the parking distance sensors front and rear but wanted the convenience of the camera.

Yes, the S4 Avant is smaller than the 535T but it seems a little larger inside than the 328T was. I don't think the S4 weighs 350 lbs less though. Both of mine are 6 spd manual and I'll check them tonight. Some online info for the S4 Avant says 4100 lbs/automatic and another says 4012/ manual.

The biggest difference noticed driving is the longer BMW wheelbase, it's overall length doesn't really matter, the wheelbase softens out the high speed handling.
Thanks for the info on the camera. I've got a 2010 with NAV and iDrive, but not the parking sensors unfortunately, so I'm going to have to look into either getting aftermarket sensors, or a camera, depending on cost and how it'll look, as I don't want a cheap looking PD display in the car. Do you know what my options are? I figured anything that ties into the iDrive screen would be impossible or super expensive.

Regardless, I want a good shop to do it, since the PD's will need to have the bumper covers taken off and holes put in them for sensors, and I don't want some hack job.

Worst case, you're a few hours drive south of me, so I might have the shop you used do it, since they sound like they have good experience.

You're right on the car weights. I'd looked up the A4 Avant, not S4, and the manual weighs 100 lbs less only.

PS There's no reason my M package bumpers couldn't be retrofitted, I hope?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

on park distance sensors, i have no experience with retrofit on those but my guess is it's a simple deal and would end up looking exactly like oem on the display screen.

the camera install was $1500 usd, including labor and parts. Benchmark does totally top notch work.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

How much viewing angle does the camera give you? Is it one mounted on/near the license plate?

That would be cool if the sensors can be integrated into the iDrive screen, though I don't know if I want to spend $1000! I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

I came across this parking sensor system too, which doesn't require drilling (the sensor is an antenna that is taped inside the bumper cover from what I can tell), but I'm guessing they would want to work with sensors they have experience with and it won't be tied into the screen, which would be nice.

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/Veh...g-Dynamics-PD1
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

BMW effectively got what it wished for by offering extremely limited E61 configurations here in the US, then used that "lack of demand" for 5 Series wagons to justify the F07 5GT experiment - something which hasn't panned out all that well so far...

The F11 for me would be the pick of the new models and, absent the ability to get the F11 M5 here in the US, the 550xi F11 seems to me to be the perfect family vehicle.

Interestingly, I did once make a serious inquiry at my local MB dealer about a special order on an E63 AMG wagon. I think I would have gotten a more favorable reaction from the salesman had I asked him to let me sleep with his wife...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
How much viewing angle does the camera give you? Is it one mounted on/near the license plate?

That would be cool if the sensors can be integrated into the iDrive screen, though I don't know if I want to spend $1000! I'll give them a ring and see what they say.

I came across this parking sensor system too, which doesn't require drilling (the sensor is an antenna that is taped inside the bumper cover from what I can tell), but I'm guessing they would want to work with sensors they have experience with and it won't be tied into the screen, which would be nice.

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/Veh...g-Dynamics-PD1
very wide, enough for me to park inches from anything. Mounts in spot where left of two license plate lamps are. oem looking part. i'll get some photos up
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Sweet rides you've had/got, Jwest! ... I've got a 2010 MY 535.
Thank you! I feel very fortunate to have experienced all these great vehicles. Had I known the 2010 was the last, I might have ordered one with everything I ideally wanted, but I'm certainly not unhappy with mine and having spent $30,000 less either!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by swajames
BMW effectively got what it wished for by offering extremely limited E61 configurations here in the US, then used that "lack of demand" for 5 Series wagons to justify the F07 5GT experiment - something which hasn't panned out all that well so far...

The F11 for me would be the pick of the new models and, absent the ability to get the F11 M5 here in the US, the 550xi F11 seems to me to be the perfect family vehicle.

Interestingly, I did once make a serious inquiry at my local MB dealer about a special order on an E63 AMG wagon. I think I would have gotten a more favorable reaction from the salesman had I asked him to let me sleep with his wife...
Are they not available? I thought the E63 Wagons where here.

Quick Reply: In the US, wagon owners are not GT buyers