E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

In the US, wagon owners are not GT buyers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Oh also on the point about Audi killing the A6 Avant here ... they will learn just like BMW did that they will lose those buyers to MB E Wagons. I wouldnt be surprised if they reverse that decision after this article coming out.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Members

I've been a touring fan since 1995 ( 525iT) ...

I've defected a bit, had a ML 320 and X5, but still love the wagons...2001 Mercedes C320 and 2004 E320 and now a 2006 530xiT

I ready to get into something now but have not found something i really like, other than a E63 MB, perhaps used.

The GT is a dog
Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Members

I know I've said this before in other posts, but for those considering alternatives to BMW 5 wagons, check out the Cadillac CTS/ CTS-V wagons. They are really, really good and the V has 550 hp, adjustable suspension, and an available 6-speed manual.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by ygbsm
...the Cadillac CTS/ CTS-V wagons ... are really, really good
That's an oxymoron!

But you need to have love for any wagon that's 500 plus HP! I agree with you on that, and the more power to them for trying to convince people out of SUV's!

I'd have a tough time paying the same for a Cadillac wagon though (regardless of the HP) as a BMW 5 wagon...
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM
Members

You need to keep an open mind, especially if you've never driven one, which it sounds like you haven't. Before buying our 535 we test drove a CTS wagon and were very impressed. My parents (longtime Mercedes wagon buyers) actually bought a CTS wagon and love it.

And any CTS is substantially cheaper than a comparable 5 (CTS/535 or CTS-V/M5).
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
so is this a diffuser for the non mtech rear or m tech rear?

You need to keep an open mind, especially if you've never driven one, which it sounds like you haven't. Before buying our 535 we test drove a CTS wagon and were very impressed. My parents (longtime Mercedes wagon buyers) actually bought a CTS wagon and love it.

Funny you say that as it was my plan to pick up a CPO CTS-V Wagon after Im over the 535xi. The car really is incredible.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

No, I've not driven one, but you're right, I might consider it one day. Its fit and finish might have come a long way from the American cars I recall, which I wouldn't ever touch if you'd asked me 5 years ago. I recall (and maybe it's not a good comparison) getting a Chrysler 300 once as a rental car, and the cheap bastards hasn't even put carpet trim on the inside lid of the trunk, so when you went to close it, you'd see and feel all the bare metal of the lid. Gearshift lever was all wiggly. Crappy and cheap, is how I recall that car.

A CTS I might be able to find to test drive, but the V's are special order, if I'm not mistaken? The odds of taking one of those out for a test drive I'm sure are slim...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Since 2006 I've had 4 wagons and find the concept to be ideal mostly for my purposes.

First an 07 Subaru Outback 3.0R, bought new. Iliked it a lot actually, very practical all the way around, nice ground clearance, good leather, decent tech, got a full size spare to fit in the subfloor too.

2nd, 07 BMW 328iT 6 spd, bought new, totally loaded with every 07 option, very sweet little ride, rwd, one of the nicest motors ever made (smooth inline 6)with good mpg 27-29 on the highway. Staggered 19's, etc.

Interim, not a wagon but was in the slot for my purposes: 2008 VW Touareg V10 TDI....what a beast.

3rd/current, 08 Audi S4 Avant, 6spd bought new. I felt the need for all wheel drive, but in hind sight, should have kept it as "her" car and got an Allroad for me and my big trips. The Audi 4.2 v8 is simply a wonderful engine, I put on an APR full exhaust from the headers back which really opens it up and installed a hitch, embedded radar, reverse camera, and other things. May keep this one forever, it's so fun to drive.

4th/current, 08 535xit 6 spd, bought used, loving it for long trips but it does not even come close on the fun factor that the S4 provides. However the bmw is more comfortable on long drives, has considerably more interior volume, better weight hauling due to the auto leveling rear suspension, longer roof to accommodate long cargo box more easily (although the Audi held the same box, just in maximum tolerance)

The bmw has some features that are more functional, like the rear hatch glass opening separately from the hatch if desired. If I had dogs back there it would be the way to deal with them once they were in. The seats are much more adjustable and comfortable in the bmw having the "comfort" sport seats. The bmw has a wider center arm rest while the Audi has a truly ridiculous afterthought arm rest that remains in the way of the parking brake and is room enough for only one person, and is not very adjustable.

The s4 is tighter handling, better oem brakes, suspension, clutch, gear box, steering, and sound

One day I am sure I'll try a Mercedes E55 or E63 with the only reason I'm not driving one now being the preference for all wheel drive and a manual transmission.

The cargo box in both photos is the Thule 2100xt. The 328it6 was the least practical due to staggered tire sizes and no full size spare, rear wheel drive, and overall smallness and poor ground clearance. Whereas the 535 wheel well size allowed me to increase my tire size which improved my already decent ground clearance and the cargo area is large enough to hold a full size spare upright against the side.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

personally, I think our options are stuck in the middle of what would make the most sense. Our engine choices are poor, not that the engines are bad, it's just that they are neither the top power models or the most efficient.

In bmw we ought to either have the 35D engine or the bigger v8/v10. In audi it should be similar, the big bi-turbo v8/v10 or the high mpg v6 tdi. It would easily cover a broad range of market too with the price being $40+ for the diesels and $100+ for the high performance models.

I may also go to a custom rebuild of the Audi Allroad for the next wagon.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

slick hauler:

If desired, lots of ground clearance, about 12" !:

Quick Reply: In the US, wagon owners are not GT buyers