E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Upgrade sound in European E61

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to everyone.

I'm looking for some audio upgrade system to my E61.
I found BSW stage 1 but i have one little problem, I dont have Woofers under the seats and no amp.
My E61 only have 2 front speakers, 2 in the rear and i guess it has 2 tweeters in front door also, and it's everything i have...
So it is not enough

Since i would like almost everything plug and play, what can i do?

Is the car pre-wired to woofers, under the seats? or in the middle woofer in front console?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

It's not likely you have tweeters in the front cabinets (inside of the sideview mirrors) - if you do, then you have the Hi-Fi setup as minimum, i.e. stage 2. What you will have are two rear speakers, mounted in the ceiling in the luggage area; two 10cm midrange in the front doors and two midrange in the floor, under the front seats where woofers will otherwise sit if you get an upgraded system.

You can drop a pair of Earthquake SWS-8 subwoofers into the cabinets under the seats or you can spring for a set of BMW Hi-Fi speakers if you want to pay extra for what I hear are the very same units. However, the subs will require that you also install an amplifier. I put in an Earthquake unit myself. I did get more bass out of that though I admittedly have a hard time adjusting it right so it isnt either like before or just a little too much bass.

I put in bmw's tweeters (logic7) in the cabinets up front; was surprisingly easy and there is a DIY illustration somewhere in this forum. I also opted for logic7 midranges that however are also just 10cm (4") as you can't offhand fit anything bigger in there. The front was all plug and play. It's a little more tedious with the subs as you need to loosen the seats and tilt them to get access and it's still tight. Then you've got to run wires to whereever you place the Amp. I put mine in the sparetyre compartment as I don't have a sparetyre. It wasnt too hard but unfortunately there is some trim that still isn't sitting 100% as well as it used to sit!

I ended up adding two aftermarket tweeters in the back as well which was a small job. The sound is a little higher now and ohmygood do I have treble now, with the addition of the tweeters. the sound is more 3-dimensional but the treble is often intrusive and almost extreme. When I turn up the volume, the 4" midrange still try to act as bass and distort the sound a little if the bass is turned up too high. I like that I can play higher, that I can dial in more treble, and that I have more bass now. However, the fine balance of the standard stereo where you can turn it up to its full (meager) power no matter what music and it always plays balanced and cleanly, is now lost. So messing with this have not been a 100% success.