E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Unintentional trackday in a 535d

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First trackday of the year and I thought I was all ready. The 535d had gained a towbar during the week and on Saturday I picked up a shiny new trailer. The rest of Saturday had been spent trying to figure out how it all worked and getting the e36 on the trailer solo. But eventually it was all done, the last strap was in place. Anglesey's Ty Croes circuit (of Fifth Gear fame) beckoned on Sunday. The trackday had been organised as a present for my main customer, Mike, and he was stopping over in Anglesey that night with his girlfriend. So no pressure!

The alarm went off at 6 and I looked out of the window to find Siberia had visited Chester. There was about 3in of snow and it was still snowing hard. I went through the motions of getting ready but it was looking bleak. I went out for a recce without the trailer and conditions were very difficult. My main route, the A55, had not been cleared. All my attempts to find out what the conditions were like the other end failed until I found a site showing the A55 traffic cams. I could see that it seemed to be snow free that end. After much delay and pondering I decided it was too risky to take the trailer but I would try and get to the circuit and see if I could improvise something whilst there.

The conditions were truely awful across NE Wales. I passed stopped trucks and crashed cars but I did manage to keep moving and once down into the Vale of Clwyd conditions started to ease. I just managed to get to the circuit in time for the second drivers meeting ... just didn't have a car! Ty Croes was very cold and very windy but was snow free and the track was dry.

I met a friend there who has a 911 Turbo (lucky b*****d). I persuaded him to take Mike and his girlfriend out for some passenger laps. Standing watching Mike whizz past whilst standing on the pitwall freezing MAO - the temptation was very strong. Eventually I could stand it no longer. Fully aware that I was probably about to embark on a top ten dumbest idea - out came all the tow car paraphenalia and on went the helmet. It was a big risk but the track was dry and there were so many no-shows it was very quiet.

I took it pretty easy to start with. Compared to the e36, the 535d feels big and a bit front heavy. Plus it takes some time to work out the best way to use the auto box on the track. As I picked up the pace, I was pleasently surprised. The more positively you drove the car, the better it gets. The expected big understeer just wasn't there and the car turned in really well. The steering was positive and the handling was neutral and assured through fast bends like School. The std runflats gripped better than I thought they might - especially given the temperature.

There was so much midrange grunt you could easily get away with just third gear for the whole track. The 535d party trick of being to muster decent nearly lag-free shove from low revs and then rev to 5000 without the normal diesel power drop off worked well here. Glyn's 911 could pull away slowly on the main straight but nothing else did. Traction out of the hairpin was excellent and the only time the DSC kicked in was crossing the curbs (I was trying by then ). Braking was strong and fade free. Even the places where you have big weight transfers (Radar), I was aware that there was a lot of weight to move but it stell felt "flickable" and the damping worked well. I didn't get any times but I was probably about 2 secs shy of Glyn's time. In the e36 we are normally about the same. Still pretty good for the tow car I reckon.

For all those people in Impreza/Evo/Caterfields etc who found themselves getting overtaken.

No...It wasn't BMW testing the new e61 M5
No...It hasn't been chipped or modified
Yes...It really was a diesel!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Sounds like you had a ball. Wish I'd been there to see it. Don't suppose anyone took some piccies for you that could be posted?
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 AM
Members

There was a pro photographer there but the pics haven't been posted up yet. If he didn't die of exposure on the day, I hope to get something later
Old 03-13-2006, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Great - look forward to seeing them.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Those pics will trade on the black market, make sure he delivers
Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Lovley to hear about your experience with the towcar at the track! It really makes me want to turn forward time to 3rd of April... Delivery day!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Great story - love to see the diesels doing well.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d Touring; Black-Sapphire; Black Dakota Leather; Steptronic; Navigation System Business; Roofbars; Power Glass moonroof; Power seats with Driver memory, Heated front seats; PDC-Park Distance Control; Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control; Radio Professional with 6 Disc CD-Charger in Glovebox;

No pictures yet? That's really "What I want", or should I say "...we want". Who needs an E61 M5???

Never my Presentation photo made so much sense...
Old 03-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Members

I have some pictures now:

Trackday pics
Old 03-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by endeavour_uk' post='257588' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:31 AM
I have some pictures now:

Trackday pics
Very nice - makes me want to have a go myself. Far more civilised than that caterham / westfield contraption behind.

Quick Reply: Unintentional trackday in a 535d