E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Touring rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

Has anyone had any issues with the self levelling rear suspension? A few weeks back I got the warning sign (orange outline of car with up and down arrows). Took it to dealer who reported a perished hose. He did a tempoarary fix while waiting for new part and advised that it was the second he had seen in the same week.

Last Friday had new part fitted and low and behold, warning light came on yesterday!! Not permanently on so if I stop and then restart the car it often goes out.

Has anyone else had this issue. Car is two years old so I am in last year of warranty.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='401821' date='Mar 12 2007, 04:38 PM
Has anyone had any issues with the self levelling rear suspension? A few weeks back I got the warning sign (orange outline of car with up and down arrows). Took it to dealer who reported a perished hose. He did a tempoarary fix while waiting for new part and advised that it was the second he had seen in the same week.

Last Friday had new part fitted and low and behold, warning light came on yesterday!! Not permanently on so if I stop and then restart the car it often goes out.

Has anyone else had this issue. Car is two years old so I am in last year of warranty.

No issues of this type yet, car is Apr 2005 (May 2004 build) 35,000m.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Another reason to take a Warranty Direct warranty when the BMW one is out.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='401821' date='Mar 12 2007, 11:38 AM

My car suffers from the very same symptom. It happens most when parked overnight out in the cold and specially when parked uphill.

In july the car will be 2 years old too, so that I have the same problem as you have.

I have not given to the issue too much importance, but now I will...

Kind regards from Spain
Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='401821' date='Mar 12 2007, 04:38 PM

Had the same warning light a while ago and the dealer said it was a false warning and updated the software. Since then the I-Drive screen has occasionally refused to come on. A replacement screen hasn't made any difference and they're going to replace "the brain" next week. The suspension warning hasn't been back though!

If it's not one thing it's another
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Had a couple of similar issues.
About a year ago the light came on permanently. Diagnosed as faulty ride height sensor and when replaced the light stayed off for a year. Sadly the dealer didn't level the car when they rebuilt it, and I noticed it was nearly 2 inches higher on one side than another - as I had just driven 500 miles to south coast needed trip to another dealer to get levelled sideways.

Recently after leaving parked for 4 weeks the light came on on two instances. Restarting a couple of times eventually cleared it. Dealer looked at, kept overnight (as usual) and said fine. Next day it came on again ! For last 4 weeks has been fine

Conincidentally due back at dealer the FOURTH time tomorrow to try to get the rear talgate struts replaced (this will be the third set). Diagnosed faulty in December, I think, been booked back in a few times but after gone in advised parts still not yet received. Winder if they've got the parts for tomorrow LOL
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

The saga continues. The car went back to main agent for three days in early April. They can see there is an issue but cannot find anything wrong and told me they had escalated the problem to BMW UK and would await their response.

In the meantime car suffered catastrophic computer failure on Easter Sunday. BMW Emergency engineer came round and found a further "CAN" error but managed to start car. By Monday the warning lights were like a Christmas Tree. BMW arranged to take car away and get us a rental car. Nasty Nissan which we have used for the last 9 days.

New computer sent from Germay and is now being fitted. Currently being loaded with software so I might get to pick the car up this evening or more likely tomorrow. I wonder if we get CIP 25? Garage didn't seem to sure so we will wait and see. Anyway, they rather hope that this will also resolve the suspension issue.

I must also ask how much this would all have cost if the car was out of warranty and it makes me think that we will have to investigate rolling into a newr car in 10 month time or paying for an extended warranty. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

If there is anything positive, I can say BMW have been faultless in trying to sort it all out - and I never want to drive a Nissan again.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

My warranty expires next month. Have been quoted ?894 for the BMW warranty for a year.

Seems quite pricey but
* BMW have the data - so presumably this reflects quite steep failure costs (and certainly they have spend many ?000's on warranty repairs so far)
* mine had depreciated ?6,000 in 5 months even at dealer prices, so warranty probably massively cheaper than going to a new car (though shiny new toy may have other benefits - certainly I have wondered about trading up from 530d to 535d)

On balance probably going to go Warranty Direct
Old 04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='415176' date='Apr 18 2007, 02:47 PM
The saga continues. The car went back to main agent for three days in early April. They can see there is an issue but cannot find anything wrong and told me they had escalated the problem to BMW UK and would await their response.

In the meantime car suffered catastrophic computer failure on Easter Sunday. BMW Emergency engineer came round and found a further "CAN" error but managed to start car. By Monday the warning lights were like a Christmas Tree. BMW arranged to take car away and get us a rental car. Nasty Nissan which we have used for the last 9 days.

New computer sent from Germay and is now being fitted. Currently being loaded with software so I might get to pick the car up this evening or more likely tomorrow. I wonder if we get CIP 25? Garage didn't seem to sure so we will wait and see. Anyway, they rather hope that this will also resolve the suspension issue.

I must also ask how much this would all have cost if the car was out of warranty and it makes me think that we will have to investigate rolling into a newr car in 10 month time or paying for an extended warranty. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

If there is anything positive, I can say BMW have been faultless in trying to sort it all out - and I never want to drive a Nissan again.
I had a new computer fitted a few weeks ago and Progman 25 put on a few days ago and everything has been fine. I originally intended to keep this car for a long time. If I liked it then why change it? When it's flying down a godd twisty road it's wonderful, but quite frankly the software and computer glitches terrify me. It's probably too clever for its own good. It's got twelve months left on the warranty and, on current form, after that it will have to go!