E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Top Gear - E61

Old 08-02-2004, 05:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Aug 2 2004, 07:43 AM
Guess my eye is not trained enough to notice the poor quality interio in the E60 and X3 for that matter. I actually think they both look pretty good.
I am OK with the quality, but it is definitely not as good as it was in the E39 version. My '97 540-6 had a beautiful inlaid shift knob, padded leather-wrapped sport wheel, better finished leather seats, etc. But the design of the dash and the hoods is much better in this version. Miss my temp gauge, though.

The technology that we have in this car more than makes up for the loss of interior quality, IMO.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

JDN,

Agree totally with you on the technology advances (even though there are some serious teething problems with the software which isn't very clever) but have to say why should we be sacrificing the standard of quality of the E39 as some form of trade off? As progress moves forward surely quality should be improved in all areas. IMHO BMW have de-contented this car way too much in an effort to hide price rises over the equivalent E39 models and have cut back on the wrong things such as the quality of materials used to achieve this. People interact with their car far more than other products and the tactile experience, whilst subjective, is generally very important when promoting a premium brand. Mass market manufacturers such as Ford and VW have invested millions - in Europe at least - to improve the perceived quality of their car interiors.

I think BMW have short changed us in this area and we shouldn't have had to wait until the mid term facelift to see improvements in the basic quality of the interior plastics.

I still enjoy my car but it could have been so much better had BMW not trimmed a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds off the build cost. I would gladly have paid a little more for better quality and would be more inclined to stay loyal to BMW as a result. With the architecture of the E60 and the materials from the E39 we would have a great car - top notch build with class leading handling/technology.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think we're all the type of people who would gladly pay a little more for upgraded materials but I imagine the descision BMW made is a bit more complex.

Aside from the savings that BMW realizes when you multiply the savings times the quantity built over time, I think they need the car to be priced within a certain range to be competitive with the market.

I the average buyer (not the average forum member) is shopping cars in the same class as the E60, the E60 needs to at least be in the ballpark or it might not even be considered.

I guess it all comes down to many of us would pay extra but many more would not.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Aug 2 2004, 08:52 AM
JDN,

Agree totally with you on the technology advances (even though there are some serious teething problems with the software which isn't very clever) but have to say why should we be sacrificing the standard of quality of the E39 as some form of trade off? As progress moves forward surely quality should be improved in all areas. IMHO BMW have de-contented this car way too much in an effort to hide price rises over the equivalent E39 models and have cut back on the wrong things such as the quality of materials used to achieve this. People interact with their car far more than other products and the tactile experience, whilst subjective, is generally very important when promoting a premium brand. Mass market manufacturers such as Ford and VW have invested millions - in Europe at least - to improve the perceived quality of their car interiors.

I think BMW have short changed us in this area and we shouldn't have had to wait until the mid term facelift to see improvements in the basic quality of the interior plastics.

I still enjoy my car but it could have been so much better had BMW not trimmed a few hundred dollars/euros/pounds off the build cost. I would gladly have paid a little more for better quality and would be more inclined to stay loyal to BMW as a result. With the architecture of the E60 and the materials from the E39 we would have a great car - top notch build with class leading handling/technology.
Great write-up and exactly my feelings concerning this subject!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 2 2004, 02:44 PM
Where's Doctor Diesel when you need him?

I think he's really happy with his X3 purchase.
Last thing I heard he went off-roading in the X3, he could be stuck in the Glasgow marshes for the last week or two..

Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Flowerfred you should be a stand up comedian!!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

He actually posted here somewhere this morning but forgot to login so no bouncing boobies yet!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 PM

ISUK,
I agree entirely re quality of the interior. The lower half of the dashboard ( especially the passenger side ) looks particularly cheap and for some reason always looks as though it is dusty even when just cleaned. The steering wheel leather also feels like plastic. On the positive side absolutely no squeaks or rattles. Although I have mentioned it before the worst aspect of the E60 has to be the standard seats which I still cannot adjust so as to be comfortable - never had this problem with E36's, E46's and Z3's.
Although I don't normally agree with Jeremy Clarkson as he has for many years been anti BMW I have to agree that the X3 is not a patch on the X5's looks.
Mark-Yorkshire
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Members

I have a 545SMG delivered in April. Replaced my '01 540. I have to say the interior quality is much better IMO than the 540, though they did change the graining on the dash and door panels.

Look closely at the leather - i have the auburn/jet black combo and I relaly believe the color combo you select makes a HUGE difference. I same a grey interior on a base 530 and I thought it looked cheap. But on my comobo the leater looks deep and rich --- the stiching stands out nicely and the doors look great with the contrasting black panels, auburn leater and black leather...really rich looking.

Trust me, the quailty hasn't suffered, you just need to find the right package IMO. Grey sucks....
Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by joe540' date='Aug 2 2004, 04:32 PM
Grey sucks....
Except on my car, right?

(or, as Al Czervik said to Judge Smails in that movie everyone knows, "Looks good on you though!" )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top Gear - E61