E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tinted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='549945' date='Mar 24 2008, 04:42 PM
The 244 is also RFT.
So BMW only sells the 244 with RFT's? What a pity. I like the wheel design, but having to use those RFT for say 50.000 kms before it's time to change would be just too much RFT for me. :thumbsdown:
Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

According to the pricelist the 244 is with RFT. I totally agree with you about RFT!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 Platinum Grey 2008 520d-Grey Dakota Leather/PDC/Xenon/Climate function/Arm Rest/Cruise Control/Skisack/Alarm/Roof Rails/Cup Holder/Automatic Transmission/Isofix/Sport Steering Wheel/Factory Tinted Rear Windows/Summer tires Michelin on 242's/Winter tires Nokian HKPL XL on 242's

Hi Fellas....sorry for my ignorance, but what is RFT's? Gotta learn all the new acronyms
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by rugger' post='550074' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Fellas....sorry for my ignorance, but what is RFT's? Gotta learn all the new acronyms
Run Flat Tyre, also called DSST, RFC and so on. Tyres that can be driven on even it had a puncture. My opnion and experience is that they totally sucs!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='550102' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:53 PM
Run Flat Tyre, also called DSST, RFC and so on. Tyres that can be driven on even it had a puncture. My opnion and experience is that they totally sucs!
I have the rfts on mine but have just bought a spare set of wheels to swap over to regular tyres I find they wear out quickly and I have had two fail so far in two years one at 15 mph last weekend a goodyear the inner shoulders were worn away although they had 2-3mm of tread left before replacement .I had to replace the other side too as it was also looking badon the inside.
The other tyre that blew went at 110 mph and was safe I slowed down to the required 50 kmh and got to a garage this tyre was a Bridgestone Reo50.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by captain cosmic' post='562343' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:18 AM
The other tyre that blew went at 110 mph and was safe I slowed down to the required 50 kmh and got to a garage this tyre was a Bridgestone Reo50.
This is why I'm reluctant to ditch the RFTs. Mind you, I think on a rutted road I'm more likely to have an accident due to the car veering all over the place than if the tyre blew!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Members

my first trip in my new bimmer will be to the local tyre shop to change the RFT for some nice michelens. They will take the RFT's from me and I will give them a small amount of cash and I will be much happier.....

have never had RFT's but I wont ever have them from having read so many poor reviews.

What I havent seen much info on is that they weigh signifcantly more than non rft's adding to the unsprung weight which surely must affect (I'm guessing) the suspension and handling negatively. Anyone agree ???
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by the missile' post='563216' date='Apr 17 2008, 10:05 PM
my first trip in my new bimmer will be to the local tyre shop to change the RFT for some nice michelens. They will take the RFT's from me and I will give them a small amount of cash and I will be much happier.....

have never had RFT's but I wont ever have them from having read so many poor reviews.

What I havent seen much info on is that they weigh signifcantly more than non rft's adding to the unsprung weight which surely must affect (I'm guessing) the suspension and handling negatively. Anyone agree ???
Try them first, you might be surprised. If the roads you drive on are nice and smooth I'd stick with the RFTs. You can actually corner harder with RFTs. If your roads aren't great and you have the chance you might be better to change but you should at least try the RFTs rather than relying on other peoples opinions.
By the way, my comment about rutted roads is now less of a problem. Found a nail in the right front tyre after it told me I had a puncture (was just a bit low on pressure rather than flat). Pumped it back up and it handles a lot better now. Seems RFTs are very critical on tyre pressure. It was only about 0.3 Bar too low and that made it tramline and follow cambers quite badly.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dAT //M

No, ditch the RFT, they make noise and consumes so much more fuel! I don't run on them, I measured on both the E90 and the two E61, approx 0,1 l/100km on both models difference between RTF and normal.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dAT //M

I have not oem tinited on my, I think "solfilm" is bether because it is darker. I looked at that but you can se trough it. With the station wagon I like that it is not so obviouse what you have in the back of the car with the darker film than the oem tint.

I bought my bike at Segeltorp.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows