E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the excellent thread, I managed to fix my cables with the help of posted instructions. Only the right hand side tailgate light was out, even though 6 out of 10 cables were damaged.
Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_0405.jpg

I made a tool out of a 3-inch nail to prise out the center pin of the fastener which holds the cable chute to hinge.
Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_0403.jpg

Before using the tool, I hit the nail against concrete to take out the sharp point, then inserted it inside the fastener and carefully tapped the center pin out. It's important to align the end of the tool at the center of the pin.
Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_0400.jpg
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 AM
New Members

Hello folks,

Took my car (08 525d) to my local dealership yesterday to address some warning messages. Yes you guessed it, rear number plate lights, rear rh fog light, rear rh reverse light and dodgy tailgate locking. Thinking it was a loose wire or a simple electrical fault but I have now been told the repairs will cost £1100!!! The dealership stated is just normal wear and tear but I can't comprehend how a 4 year old BMW with 48k miles could encounter such a problem without it being a design fault.

Wondering if this was just an isolated incident I came across this fantastic forum and realised I'm not the only one!! I'm not technically minded or have the time to carry out a DIY job so I'll have to rely on the dealership to fix it which is a bitter pill to swallow. Surely BMW must realise this is a design fault so has anyone actually complained and got anywhere with BMW in rectifying the issue?

Grateful for any insight. Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by chesney72
Excelent write up Gary. I see you took far more time over it than I managed and that guide will help a lot of others. It's not a difficult job to do and the savings are HUGE over the dealers/BMW repair. And bear in mind if you pay for BMW to repair this they will simply replace the loom with the same one so eventually that will break too!!!

Hello, Gents. It's been over a couple of years, but I just wanted you to know that your pictures and comments helped immensely with a repair I just finished on the broken ground wire for my rear defroster which goes through the left hinge (positive seems to come out of the right hinge). The repair was on my '06 E61.

Thanks very much for your informative post!

Chris in Oregon
Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Members

Hi All, I have exactly the same problem with the RHS harness. brown wires broken. Been to the BMW parts department and purchased the repair kit and RHS aftermarket harness. Big job for me this sunday. Do I need to remove the live wire from the battery before I start the job. If so, will I have any issues when I connect the terminal back again after a couple of hours?ie errors or codes required?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 AM
New Members

Signed up just to say this post was extremely useful, saved me £££s from sending it off to be diagnosed/repaired.

I found out my defroster stopped working on my 525D (E61) and my searches online sent me to this post.

Followed the instructions and it was a broken wire too, patched up and put it all back together and all if fine now.

I didn't have to touch batteries etc, just went for the repair btw.

Things to look out for:
- Make sure you tie the cables with some string before you feed them from the spoiler, through the hinge, out of the speaker slot. That way you can use the string to tie the repaired cable and feed it back through.

- Make sure the glass does not shut close at any point (cover the hole/lock)... once it is all disconnected, that thing will not open.

- Make sure you you have enough slack fed through to reconnect everything

- When the post mentions that the hinge is spring-loaded, when removing the bolts, be very careful, you could injure yourself, I was sure to put a lot of pressure holding it down when I undid the bolts, but even then the thing nearly sprung up and took my fingers with it! When I reattached the bolts, I just did it with the glass open, so I didn't have to force it back down.

Thanks again for the guide!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 520SE

Hi everyone
I've just found this thread & of course my car is at the dealers for a minor oil & pollen filters service & I mentioned that the radio has poor reception & the traffic info isn't working...I think you can guess the rest.
After years of having really reliable BMW estates I'm starting to wonder if my car is such a good idea. It's only 3 years & 4 months old has only done 29,000 miles & this sort of bill heading my way is frankly a major worry.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 530d M Sport

Originally Posted by jfarhead
Signed up just to say this post was extremely useful, saved me £££s from sending it off to be diagnosed/repaired.

I found out my defroster stopped working on my 525D (E61) and my searches online sent me to this post.

Followed the instructions and it was a broken wire too, patched up and put it all back together and all if fine now.

I didn't have to touch batteries etc, just went for the repair btw.

Things to look out for:
- Make sure you tie the cables with some string before you feed them from the spoiler, through the hinge, out of the speaker slot. That way you can use the string to tie the repaired cable and feed it back through.

- Make sure the glass does not shut close at any point (cover the hole/lock)... once it is all disconnected, that thing will not open.

- Make sure you you have enough slack fed through to reconnect everything

- When the post mentions that the hinge is spring-loaded, when removing the bolts, be very careful, you could injure yourself, I was sure to put a lot of pressure holding it down when I undid the bolts, but even then the thing nearly sprung up and took my fingers with it! When I reattached the bolts, I just did it with the glass open, so I didn't have to force it back down.

Thanks again for the guide!
Thanks to all for the useful posts, although I have not solved my issue the guides have been useful in my attempts to fix my car. I would also like to second jfarhead about the finger cutting hinge, I was holding it down as well but couldn't release it in a control manner! I also found the reverse quite difficult, but found opening the glass and then assembling the parts loosely, before closing the glass and tightening. I also used the previous imprints in the plate as a guide for alignment.

The hardest part was removing the plastic pin, so much so I gave up and found I could actually prise open the hinge without removing it. However, not before thoroughly mashing up the head of the plastic pin

BTW I have a 2006 e61 530d both remotes suddenly stopped working. I have checked the diversity unit - no signs of water damage or any damage at all, pulled and untaped the loom through the speaker hole - all looks good. I am thinking of trying to get a second hand diversity amplifier and trying that.. mmm starting to wonder if the remotes are actually transmitting anything ! Will report back if I find anything.. in the meantime I will continue to break into my car
Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Members

Same thing with mine. Gave up and ordered a diversity unit which is going in on Monday.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 AM
New Members

Thanks all for this great information. Led me to identify the cause of remote locking failure. Dismantled hinge 3 - found 4 broken wires. Lengthened/soldered repairs. Now remote locking, tailgate break light and soft close tailgate all working. Didn't bother to refix hinge loom guide as reckoned it would just damage the repaired wires again.
In early diagnosis, local dealer wouldn't even test my keys to tell me if they were sending a signal, unless I booked in for their expensive diagnostic testing.
All power to this excellent forum!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 530d M Sport

Just to follow up on my remote locking issue. I searched around for a second hand diversity unit, breakers either had already sold theirs or were offering them for £150+ not exactly the knockdown price I was expecting. So just got one from Cotswold BMW around £215 with foam pads. Fitted tonight and all working :-) I tested the range too, I went 30metres down the street and was still working, prob could go further, much better than being less than a metre from the car.

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??