E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate Strut Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Last week I noticed a strange 'plastic grating' sound when opening the tailgate.

On closer inspection the left (Nearside) tailgate strut had developed a longitudinal split, right along where the part number is imprinted.

At the dealers today they noticed that the right strut was also showing signs of imminent failure, there was a slight deformation in exactly the same spot as the left one.

Both were replaced under warranty.

The tailgate now opens much smoother and feels lighter than it ever has.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Good warning. Mine is May 2004 and had the same problem last year.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

By virtue of the dealers having the parts in stock, it cannot be too rare a problem !
Old 08-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Members

Mine is also May 2004. Off side went and had it repaired under warranty in June. The dealer didn't have in stock.
I agree the tailgate now opens much smoother and feels lighter than it ever did before.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I just noticed the same problem today. Back to the dealer. I hope they have in stock.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Hi,

I've always felt that mine is quite stiff to open... I mean it's not easy/light to lift up the hatch. I've been wondering can that be adjusted somehow.... or should I get replacements parts.
how smoothly E61 tailgate should be opened anyway.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Had the same issue on my Nov 05 525d Tourer. Onday it just didn't open as well as before and i noticed bits of plastic on the boot (sorry, trunk ) floor. Took a look and sure enough it had split. I use the 'trunk' a lot so it was a pain given the trunk no longer opened as far AND i was concerned that it might explode or similar

Regardless it was changed under warranty with no issues.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

Had the same problem. Strut split and I think it was due to my wife closing the lid from one side rather than the middle. Replaced under warranty with no issue at all.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Members

I have had both struts replaced.

Now - the car is going in again to have the motor which retracts the load area cover to be replaced. Any others had this fault?

The car is 2yrs 9mths old, I wonder if the motor on the other side will fail before or after the 3 yr warranty expires?

Still enjoying the car though.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Are you shure that it's the motor? There is a mod for the roller pin to one with bearings instead of bushings.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Strut Fault