E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate Opening

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 PM
JSN
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff A' post='714826' date='Nov 7 2008, 10:46 AM
My '06 model has just started unlocking the upper rear window by itself this week. Usually, as I unlock the car then get in and start the engine, the upper window releases and the parcel shelf does its thing. Each time I get out, re-close the tailgate window, and then drive off, it repeats itself and opens automatically a second time. Then it settles down and behaves until I start the engine again, and it then repeats the process of automatically opening the tailgate window twice.
And this morning would you believe, the damn thing decided it was going to reset the odometer trip and clock, telling me the battery had suffered excessive discharge overnight while it was locked on the driveway......Bloody electronics. Anyone had similar experiences? I'll watch it over the weekend and see if it was just a gremlin, or if it becomes repetitious - in which case, it'll be going to the stealers while there's warranty remaining. Can't believe it's ready for a battery after just 40k and 28 months of age......but you never know
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
JSN
Members

Geoff
Similar thing happened to me today - 29th Nov 08 - with my E61 530d M Sport Touring, built April 2007. I started the engine and the tailgate window opened itself. I now can?t open the tailgate window whether the car has central locking on or off and each time that I start the engine, the tailgate window releases itself. I'll be taking it into Stephen James, Bromley - nearest competent dealer but not the nearest as the crow flies for me by any means - and getting it fixed under warranty. Assuming they sort it out, it?s certainly irritating but doesn?t knock the 530d off its perch as the best 3 litre automatic diesel on the market.
Cheers, Jeremy
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d, on a 55 plate, 17" upgrade, big sunroof, removable tow bar.

My 05 e61 525d has just started opening the glass tailgate, same as other people here. It's now out of warranty so I'd really appreciate any insight of how to fix this?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
JSN
Members

'Dec 1 2008, 12:41 PM' post='735547']
My 05 e61 525d has just started opening the glass tailgate, same as other people here. It's now out of warranty so I'd really appreciate any insight of how to fix this?
[/quote]

Have booked mine back into the stealer at Bromley, Kent (UK). They couldn?t find anything wrong first time around but I've worked it out for them. You don?t need a degree in the subject to work it out, mind. The tailgate window has a fault whereby it continues to try and open itself after the car is locked. Although the tailgate window doesn't open once the central locking is activated, it still attempts to, and if you?re sad enough like me, and listen closely, you can hear the release mechanism clicking away. This means that the car is ?woken up? regularly after it?s gone to sleep thereby draining the battery. If you observe it happening once its dark, you can clearly see that the Start/Stop Engine light is illuminated after the tailgate glass has tried to open itself, thereby triggering the engine management system or some other software module to do its checking thing. Hence the ?Increased battery discharge? error message in the morning, which I know some folks have experienced. If you left the car for a w eek plus, it probably wouldn?t start.
I?ll let you know how I get on.
Cheers, Jeremy
Old 12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Originally Posted by Najrad' post='704735' date='Oct 27 2008, 08:10 PM
You'd better wrap your dealer in foil then and see what happens

You boys in the Netherlands know all about foil huh, million and one uses for, and all that
Old 12-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Members

My '05 550i touring has jsut started with this behaviour... very annoying. It is booked in to the dealer for replacement headlights in 1 weeks time so I'l get them to look at it then.

If anyone knows the fault/how to fix it would be apprecaited as the main BMW Dealers seem total muppets at diagnosing problems...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:10 AM
Members

I've had this happen to my car too now. Has anyone found out what exactly needs to be replaced or fixed in order to address this issue? Thanks.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Members

as predicted BMW main dealer 'can't replicate the problem'... what a useless shower.

The car does it all the time, and has been running the battery flat everynight and they can't replicate it. Makes you wonder if they even tried... oh and that was after the loan car they gave me was a POS MINI, fitted with dual control pedals of all things.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

Thanks Jezzer,

That makes a lot os sense when you explain it like that. Mine refuses to open the window glass at all now - it's as if the release mechanism has completely malfunctioned, so it's going to be fired into North Oxford Garage for assessment - though I'm not hopeful they'll find it first time.......

Have you had a result yet?

Ta, Geoff
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Members

Remote central looking has stopped working on mine, then after a week of that happening the glass hatch started popping open. It went into the dealers and a fuse had blown (dont know which), it was replaced and they stated that the body module needed replacing. They ordered the module and replaced the module and it hasn't fixed it. They now think it is the diversity module in the tailgate. I have no idea why. I got a quote off them for the work and will be holding them to that quote!!! Also I queried how they thought it was the body module the reply was "the master technician said so!". Will update you with any proper progress!

Quick Reply: Tailgate Opening