E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate Opening

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 AM
pew
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

My car an 08 E61 is suffering from random tailgate opening incidents when the car is parked overnight. The alarm goes off and upon investigating the parcel shelft has triggered open and the tailgate is not in it's locked position. It is as if the softclose on the tailgate has released the catch....

Anyone have a similar problem...?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Are the keys within range of the car when this happens? If yes put them well out of range and/or wrap them in foil and see if there's a difference. If yes you could have a damaged/dodgy key.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Originally Posted by pew' post='703889' date='Oct 26 2008, 04:16 PM
All,

My car an 08 E61 is suffering from random tailgate opening incidents when the car is parked overnight. The alarm goes off and upon investigating the parcel shelft has triggered open and the tailgate is not in it's locked position. It is as if the softclose on the tailgate has released the catch....

Anyone have a similar problem...?
My problem is the other way round. The car just won't respond to the key whenever the tailgated has been openned or closed. The typical thing is that when it is at the dealer, everything is fine
Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 most options

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='703954' date='Oct 26 2008, 02:14 PM
My problem is the other way round. The car just won't respond to the key whenever the tailgated has been openned or closed. The typical thing is that when it is at the dealer, everything is fine
You'd better wrap your dealer in foil then and see what happens
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 AM
pew
Members

Car into the dealer and they diagnosed a faulty tailgate lock. Replaced and now problems since....
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by pew' post='712829' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:33 AM
Car into the dealer and they diagnosed a faulty tailgate lock. Replaced and now problems since....
To get the tail gate to respond you need to unlock all the doors which requires two clicks from the remote, then you need to click the gate which responds very slowly.

It seems like the newer remotes have less range which means I have to stand next to the car before it will respond.

I wish I could program the gate to open independent of the door locks?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the exact same problem - tailgate opening randomly.
The dealer checked for faulty codes and found nothing. The dealer said that I probably sat on the remote and it opened.

PEW, what exactly did the dealer replace?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver grey '06 535d M-Sport Touring, visibility pack, media pack, hi-gloss, heated leather, sun-pro glass Red Alert: 3500hp triple-turbo, alcohol-fuelled Case-IH

My '06 model has just started unlocking the upper rear window by itself this week. Usually, as I unlock the car then get in and start the engine, the upper window releases and the parcel shelf does its thing. Each time I get out, re-close the tailgate window, and then drive off, it repeats itself and opens automatically a second time. Then it settles down and behaves until I start the engine again, and it then repeats the process of automatically opening the tailgate window twice.
And this morning would you believe, the damn thing decided it was going to reset the odometer trip and clock, telling me the battery had suffered excessive discharge overnight while it was locked on the driveway......Bloody electronics. Anyone had similar experiences? I'll watch it over the weekend and see if it was just a gremlin, or if it becomes repetitious - in which case, it'll be going to the stealers while there's warranty remaining. Can't believe it's ready for a battery after just 40k and 28 months of age......but you never know
Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525iSE Comfort, Visibility and comfort packs.

I recently bought a 2005 525i SE Auto Touring everything was alright (warranty ran out Sept 2005) until tonight when I started the engine and put it into reverse the glass tailgate opened, I thought I must have touched the tailgate release on the key fob so I shut the tailgate started off again and the tailgate opened again. I took my key back to the house and the same thing happened with the other key. I then had to drive around with the tailgate open. If anyone does find out what needs to be replaced I would be pleased to find out, as I have little faith in my local dealer.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 AM
Members

I used to get the battery discharge message but the care was recoded in early '07 and that has stopped happening. The car has been coded again since then and I still have some little gremlins like after the car is parked for more than 72 hours, the a/c will not cool for 5 minutes after the car has been started. Not major, just slightly annoying.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Opening