E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

squeak from rear cargo cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT

I have a 2010 535xi wagon and have noticed a type of squeak coming from the rear cargo cover. This is the second winter we have had the car and it seems to be more noticable when it is cold outside, even if the interior of the car has relatively warmed up. Does not seem to occur in the warmer summer months. It does not seem to matter if the cargo cover is extended in place or retracted. However, if I remove the cargo cover completely (right behind the back seat), the squeaking noise is gone.

Last winter I had the dealer look into this. They first tried to add some type of felt tape where the two ends of the cover snap into place. It did not help much, but also made it difficult to get the cover out or back into place. They ended up ordering a new cargo cover and did seem to help the rest of last winter. However, this winter, the squeak type noice has appeared again. It is hard to describe but sounds like plastic or similar rubbing against something. Over real smooth roads it is not too noticable, but over roads with some bmups, imperfections (most of the roads around here) is when it is noticable. The cover appears tight (no loose play) attached at both ends behind the rear seat. I don't think it is the cargo net. Anyone else have any related experience to this? I plan to bring it back to the dealer again, but it just seems like an odd thing to pin down. Why would something work its way loose that requires a new cargo cover each year to avoid this squeak - assuming a new one solves the problem again?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Have you tried sitting in the trunk while someone's driving the car over such bumps? I'd try that personally to narrow it down...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by dr.s
I have a 2010 535xi wagon and have noticed a type of squeak coming from the rear cargo cover. This is the second winter we have had the car and it seems to be more noticable when it is cold outside, even if the interior of the car has relatively warmed up. Does not seem to occur in the warmer summer months. It does not seem to matter if the cargo cover is extended in place or retracted. However, if I remove the cargo cover completely (right behind the back seat), the squeaking noise is gone.

Last winter I had the dealer look into this. They first tried to add some type of felt tape where the two ends of the cover snap into place. It did not help much, but also made it difficult to get the cover out or back into place. They ended up ordering a new cargo cover and did seem to help the rest of last winter. However, this winter, the squeak type noice has appeared again. It is hard to describe but sounds like plastic or similar rubbing against something. Over real smooth roads it is not too noticable, but over roads with some bmups, imperfections (most of the roads around here) is when it is noticable. The cover appears tight (no loose play) attached at both ends behind the rear seat. I don't think it is the cargo net. Anyone else have any related experience to this? I plan to bring it back to the dealer again, but it just seems like an odd thing to pin down. Why would something work its way loose that requires a new cargo cover each year to avoid this squeak - assuming a new one solves the problem again?
I have this problem also. Filling the little gap up between the carco cover and the trim below one side stopped it. I used a wooden wedge.
Figured this out by letting the wife drive and myself searching the origin of the noise.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

I also have had all sorts of squeaks and rattles, some very annoying and very difficult to point down. I have done a lot to eliminate these noises, mostly succeeded, but there is really no unversal source or recipe to fix them.

Your best bet is, as already said, to sit on the rear bench facing backwards, head in the trunk space, and listen to where the noise comes from. Then experiment with felt tape to eliminate it. Also try driving with rear seats down, or with parts of the trunk panels removed. You might be surprised by the results (i.e. rather unexpected sources of strange noises).

In any case, let us know how it goes - it might be helpful for others here.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mmitev
I also have had all sorts of squeaks and rattles, some very annoying and very difficult to point down. I have done a lot to eliminate these noises, mostly succeeded, but there is really no unversal source or recipe to fix them.

Your best bet is, as already said, to sit on the rear bench facing backwards, head in the trunk space, and listen to where the noise comes from. Then experiment with felt tape to eliminate it. Also try driving with rear seats down, or with parts of the trunk panels removed. You might be surprised by the results (i.e. rather unexpected sources of strange noises).

Exactly what I did .
Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xiT

Originally Posted by mmitev

Well I sat in the back seat while my wife drove around to try to isolate the source of the noise. Definitely sounds like it is coming from where the cover snaps into place right bend the rear seat. I could apply pressure with my hand at this location and it appears to stop. I guess this also explains why I can take the cover completely out and the noise goes away.

As suggested, some type of felt tape or similar may help. I might take it in and let the dealer have another crack at it.