DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we all know the E60 trunk is huge so to keeping things from moving around usually means buying a cargo net.

The nets I've seen did not appear adequate because they did not cover the entire trunk floor and would not hold the big size items that the trunk is capable of carrying. So this got me to thinkin'.

After studying the inside of the trunk for awhile I noticed some holes that were big enough to hold a hook. Remembering all the tie-downs and bungi cords I purchased when moving my daughter in/out of her college dorm, I searched a bit in the garage and began tinkering.

I did find two holes under the rear window deck on the right and left sides that had some vinyl plugs in them and were easy to remove.

All the straps are easily removed or repositioned if necessary. If you don't need to use the straps on the bottom, just set what every you're carrying right on top of them.

My install looks kinda crazy because of all the different colors but since no one sees it, who cares. The price was right and it works and works well.
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-trunk_view.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-trunk_box_tie_down.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

more
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-trunk_hooks.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

more
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-trunk_hooks1.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

last one
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-trunk_hooks2.jpg  
Old 05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Thanks, Jimbo. I use something very similar - strong rubber straps of varying lengths with hooks that I pick up from Great Northern Tool and Equipment or similar store. Works better than it looks.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nice job! All you need to do now is flip over the mat and you'll have a non-skid surface to add to the security of your "net".
Old 05-24-2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='May 24 2004, 02:27 PM
Nice job! All you need to do now is flip over the mat and you'll have a non-skid surface to add to the security of your "net".
I read your post. I'll give it a try.
Thanks, Rudy.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Members

Looks good, I bought two plastic containers from target that fit side by side and are the width of the trunk. Push them up against the back seats & then use bungies to hold them in place.

Great for groceries and anything that will fit in the containers.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='May 24 2004, 01:59 PM
As we all know the E60 trunk is huge so to keeping things from moving around usually means buying a cargo net.
Here is my solution using four very stout straps. I have found that I can haul everything from a gallon of milk, lawnmower gas can (full), gun box, brief case, laptop, or whatever. If I can't just position it under the four strap arrangement, I can unhook and stretch the straps over.

Once tied down like that, I can drive any old way I want to without worrying about the load in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY-tiedown.jpg  

Quick Reply: Securing items in the trunk....an easy DIY