E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Something for the E61 drivers' egos

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could 'google' defensive driving techniques.

A lot of trained chauffers use these techniques when they drive company leaders, politicians, etc. There is some good free techniques on the net.

Like for example; these guys never get close to the car in front, in stop / start congested traffic, they always allow enough space that they can pull-out and overtake if they get blocked by two cars (front & rear).

Once when I drove trucks (many years ago) the company taught us how to recognise someone tailing the truck and what to do. Even though the trucks were plain white with no branding, they were carrying Sony, Pansasonic electronics - so worth stealing. I only had one instance, which I resolved by driving into the freeway service area and just driving around and around this area, until it became obvious this car was tailing me, obvious to eveyone else on the service area too, so he drove off. The big problem was customs clearence (where it is stated what is on the truck) some customs official then take bribes to sell on information to criminal gangs, in this case, just hand over the truck / car because these guys don't care and they will shoot you no question. Once a friend has his truck stolen which was full of metal bolts !!!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 530i E61, alpine white, cream-beige interior, sports-auto-transmission and a lot more-

Since I have my new car( badged - 530i) this doesn't happen to me as often as with my older car, debadged..
People thought I drive a 520i or something slower,in fact I had a 525d,they always attempted to challenge me..here on the Autobahn I had the chance to show them who's their daddy
these days Now and then I challenge other cars that can compete with my car
I have to admit, have plenty of douchebags that try to challenge you in their fucked up Polos and Golfs and other crappy cars, sometimes I have to lol them out, because they are soooo dumb..

2 weeks ago I was on my way home from Frankfurt - shopping - 2 lanes, I was on the left lane, in front of me a fellow E61 driver, I think 530d, in front of him another 20-25cars..there was no possibility to overtake or something else, typical situation on the autobahn at 5 o'clock..
So I was cruising with 160km/h as suddenly an older Mercedes driver ~50-60 yrs. old - with his wife ,came with high speed towards my back and wanted to pass me with high beam and left indicator..I thought- what a douchebag- It was a W180 Merc from 1990, possibly 100-120hp, he should have seen that the left lane was blocked and that there was no possibility to move on faster if he had passed me...
2 minutes later I floored and I was up and away..

Sometimes I think people piss me off just because they are jealous about my car and that if they can't drive it, I should not have fun with my car..

Next example:
this morning I drove to work, wanted to overpass a slower car, as he suddenly changed the lane from right to left,where I drove, he almost got me, I beamed him and horned him about 20 seconds. He then drove as fast as the cars in the right lane, as he would tell me to go and Fuck myself just because I have a faster car that want to overtake him..

Why are people such player haters?!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TO BMWx: You're "previous E61" looks very nice with the 128 style rims. I also see that you have the M-Sport bumpers. Did you have the M-Sport Suspension as well? The E61s in North America are only made in awd option, and the suspension sits very high. Did you do anything to the suspension to get that look, or are those stock shocks/springs.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by andy535xi
TO BMWx: You're "previous E61" looks very nice with the 128 style rims. I also see that you have the M-Sport bumpers. Did you have the M-Sport Suspension as well? The E61s in North America are only made in awd option, and the suspension sits very high. Did you do anything to the suspension to get that look, or are those stock shocks/springs.
Thanks. It was the M-Sport version, which comes with the M-Sport bumpers, interior and suspesion. I did not lower the car in any way. There are a few Posts in the E61 Forum about lowering the AWD version, so you are in the right place to get info on how to lower your car