E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

runflat tyres

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Jul 28 2005, 12:01 AM
The largest problem with the RF-tires is the steel wall inside them.

The tire weighs about? 5kg (10 p) more, and it feels like driving with solid steel (or brick) tires.

The idea is good and will probably develop in time, but even now it is a great security matter.

Anyway, I will next summer change my tires to non RF's.

You can change your RF's to non RF tires on any BMW rim.

PS. The RF tire needs a different rim (wheel) so you cannot assemble RF tires on any wheel and your car technology for discovering the change in air pressure is a must!
[snapback]153810[/snapback]
Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

I collected my E60 on Monday and it came with Bridgestone RE050 17".
The tyres themselves appeared to be a little more compliant than the Goodyear NCT's on the E60 I traded in. Still had a woeful ride though. Plus, the RE050 made one hell of a racket from the rear. I thought they forgot to put a door seal or missed a panel leaving a hole to the outside.

Anyways, I changed on Wednesday for Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. Besides the Pirelli, I was considering Michelin PS2 (twice the price so I ditched that idea), Continental (decided that they were only an OK tyre) and Dunlop (could only get 2off).

Obviously cannot give an experienced view of the other tyres but I went with the Pirelli in the end.

The ride quality has improved immeasurably and the road noise had decreased by the same amount. I'll probably curse very loudly when I get my next puncture but as I hadn't had one in 2 years, I'll take that chance and wallow in silence and comfort instead. Besides, if the RF needs a replacement, it's gonna be more expensive than a NRF tyre so I'm considering it as a gain all round.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

:thumbsdown: Had my E61 since April, fitted with Bridgestones RE050 17". Awful set up !

Ride is harsh, car bounces over imperfections in the road in the wet, makes my wife's Honda Civic feel like a 'Roller'.

But, I have had two punctures in 3 months and was most pleased not to have to get out in the rain to put the skinny spare on.

I will certainly change to non- RF when this set need replacing, I want a BMW to feel like one.

I accept it is a trade off of safety and convenience v ride comfort and handling, but the impact on the ride of RF's is just too great for me.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

I can strongly reccommend runflats with the E61. First off it frees up space as you no longer need a spare. More importantly, I have gotten two blowouts already and I wouldn't have even known it, if it hadn't been for the computer telling me. I did also get two false blowouts, but the two times it was real, it was amazing as the ride was almost unaffected and I could cruise slowly to the nearest tire changing place to plug the hole. No need to pull over and wait for a tow truck and no need to change the tire myself and no worries about ruining the rims by driving for a kilometer to the nearest tire changing place and no worries about a blowout making you lose control at high speeds.

Runflats are a wonderful safety and convenience feature that really works. Non-runflats should one day prove to be an anachronism that was unsafe at any speed.

As far as the road noise, never heard any. I was so very worried before picking up the car. When I change tires later (Only 5,000KM so far) I will surely invest the absolute best runflats that money can buy so that I can be assured to have no trade off between ride and runflat safety.

One qualifier: I have never tried driving my car wth any other tires. My test drive car was regular tires, but honestly, I can remember there being any difference.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Did you not do a road test or read any articles before buying ?

The run flats are notorious (but at least easily fixed)
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='220707' date='Jan 8 2006, 12:26 AM

This seems to be a eternity topic.

On good roads the RF's are nice, of course, but on really shitty roads
like those we have in Finland the RF's are simply too hard.

It has also a lot to do with the profile of the tire.

I know running on 225/55 16" and there's no tramlining but I still feel
the suspension in the city is not up to its task.
The small bumps seem to go straigh through to the chassi.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='220726

This seems to be a eternity topic.

On good roads the RF's are nice, of course, but on really shitty roads
like those we have in Finland the RF's are simply too hard.

It has also a lot to do with the profile of the tire.

I know running on 225/55 16" and there's no tramlining but I still feel
the suspension in the city is not up to its task.
The small bumps seem to go straigh through to the chassi.
[/quote]

very well said Ricracing. >>The small bumps seem to go straigh through to the chassi.<<
I'm on regular tires now and it feels nice.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Members

I must say that all the bad things I've heard about runflat tyres are too harsh.

I was very sceptical prior to my first ride with runflat tyres, but I must say it was just like I would expect it.

I've always had cars with low profile tyres. My first car an M-sport 325Ci (E36) and then a M-sport 330Ci (e46), the first one I had 245/40-17 (e36-rear) and then 255/35-18 (e46-rear).

I believe it all comes down to what your prior experience is, and what expectations you have.
You cannot order a M-spec car with low profile 18" tyres without expecting direct feed back from tyres/suspension. If its comfort you are after then go for 16" and non M-spec.

To me the M-spec suspension and 18" feels perfect.

To all future buyers I would recommend runflat without hesitation!
Old 01-09-2006, 02:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by Bobkare' post='220891' date='Jan 8 2006, 03:34 PM
Not if you live in the UK... the quality of most of our roads is too abysmal.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by idoru' post='221360
Not if you live in the UK... the quality of most of our roads is too abysmal.
[/quote]

Residential roads in London and the suburbs are a disgrace. Really appalling and nobody gives a damn. :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: runflat tyres