E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

runflat tyres

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a E61 for a week. I have done over 150.000 miles in 3 examples of the previous 5 series touring. I am appalled at the ride on Bridgestone potenza runflat tyres. 17 inch rims. there seems to have been no attempt to harmonise seat springing, suspension settings and the tyres that are fitted. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to get something done i almost feel like asking for my old 530i touring back!!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT

Originally Posted by Georgefos' date='Jul 17 2005, 11:46 AM
I have had a E61 for a week. I have done over 150.000 miles in 3 examples of the previous 5 series touring. I am appalled at the ride on Bridgestone potenza runflat tyres. 17 inch rims. there seems to have been no attempt to harmonise seat springing, suspension settings and the tyres that are fitted. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to get something done i almost feel like asking for my old 530i touring back!!
[snapback]150048[/snapback]
In the U.S. the only way you get run flats is with 18 inch wheels. Let us know what you worked out with the dealer.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

The only option is to swap out the RFTs - ContiSportContact2s work well with 18'' tyres, so they would probably be just as good with 17s - they also significantly improve handling and traction. Consider yourself lucky you don't have a Sport model!

Good luck with the dealer - unfortunately I suspect they will only laugh and point you to the door.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I bought a set of cast off 16in rims and standard tyres (plus spare wheel and tools kit) and replaced the 18in run flats with these.
Can pick up very cheaply as people seem intent on going big wheels

So far seems to have improved real world traction and cornering as well
Old 07-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I'm done with RF tyres too. They are so hard and the ride is very very bad. I'm going for NON-Rf Bridgestone Potenzas
Old 07-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Georgefos' date='Jul 17 2005, 07:46 PM
[snapback]150048[/snapback]
Interesting.

My E60 arrived at the dealers on Friday and I'll be picking it up on Monday.
The car has Bridgestone RE050 runflats on 17" 138 alloys. I was 60% sure I'd change the tyres but I think I definitely will now. I organised it as part of the deal when trading but I'm not sure what tyre shop the car dealer deals with so I don't know what tyres he can offer as a replacement. Probably Bridgestones. I was thinking of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's or conti sport contact 2's. We'll see on Monday morning as to what he can offer.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Edit: Posted twice.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Sport Touring, Carbon Black, Dakota Black Leather, Maple Wood interior trim "How much more black could this be? And the answer is ‘None. None...more black’ " - David St Hubbins, Spinal Tap

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 22 2005, 11:07 AM
I'm done with RF tyres too. They are so hard and the ride is very very bad. I'm going for NON-Rf Bridgestone Potenzas
[snapback]151825[/snapback]
Wooden wheels was my rapidly-reached assessment... ?30K+ for a ride like a covered wagon!
Old 07-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The largest problem with the RF-tires is the steel wall inside them.

The tire weighs about 5kg (10 p) more, and it feels like driving with solid steel (or brick) tires.

The idea is good and will probably develop in time, but even now it is a great security matter.

Anyway, I will next summer change my tires to non RF's.

You can change your RF's to non RF tires on any BMW rim.

PS. The RF tire needs a different rim (wheel) so you cannot assemble RF tires on any wheel and your car technology for discovering the change in air pressure is a must!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Members

You should be forwarned, I changed my runflats for OEM Contis on my E46 as soon as I got the car. The tires all leak air. I need to fill air about 3-4 weeks, for the past 3 years! Last week I went the dealer to speak to my salesperson about a new E61 and he told me that this is a common problem. The run flat rims are not quite rite for non-runflat tires.

Quick Reply: runflat tyres