E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rough Idle + Misfires + Stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 08
Default Rough Idle + Misfires + Stall

08 535xit
magnaflow catback
cobb sport 1
101000 Km

Car ran awesome until this week.

CEL popped.
Suddenly the idle is rough on startup to the point where the car shakes. I need to drive for 5 minutes or so for the engine to warm up and then everything goes back to normal

Walnut blast and sparkplugs were done at 95000 km.
I put my Cobb in to pull codes and got the following:

P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P2DED - power management
P2C73 - Lmbda prob after cat signal
P29CD - Cylinder 1 misfire
P29CF - Cylinder 3 misfire
P29CE - Cylinder 2 misfire
P29CC - Misfire , more cylinders
P0300
H2DC5
H2DED
H2DC5
H2FCA
H2FDA
H29D2
H29D1
H29D9
H29CC

Anyone have any ideas?

I have reflashed the Cobb to Stage 0. Ill test it in the morning to see if that eases the issues.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

You weren't in the middle of a WOT run, were you?

The H codes I presume you know are "Historical", so I wouldn't worry about them too much, unless they return. I think it's worth still reading up on them to see what they are, but they may have been an odd one time thing.

Might want to fully uninstall the Cobb rather than going to stock map, if you really want to rule that out. The stock map on Cobb is just their version of the stock map, it's not actually running stock BMW code.

Can't help you too much on the codes, but I know from E90Post reading (and you might want to post this info THERE as well, since we have the same engine, or at least search the codes there), that some people who were getting single cylinder misfires, they would swap coilpacks to eliminate that as a possibility (and see if the misfire followed that coilpack to another cylinder) and hopefully it's not your injectors.

Old plugs and carbon buildup are the two usual culprits, but you've eliminated those already.

Here's a great sticky on troubleshooting misfires: **First Time Tuners** Start Here** Official Misfire Thread| Updated!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-27-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

PS For code descriptions, these are good files to have, as not all code descriptions show up on the Cobb. They're Excel files, but to be able to upload them, I've changed the extensions from XLSX to TXT, so change them back.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Bavarian Tech Code List.txt (17.3 KB, 219 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 02:20 PM
New Members

Thanks for the expansive information.

CEL is gone as of today.
Idle is a touch rough this morning, but no where near the stalling/car shaking of the last few days. As suggested, I will unmarry the CObb this week.

Some of the codes i can explain away now after reading your XLS files.

29D9 - Misfire from fuel low - I ran the tank to reserve last week
P2DED - power management - i left my bluetooth dongle in and i got the high battery discharge error

So im down to the misfires.
I watched that video from cobb last night just before i posted. It did give me insight into sparkplug issue/ carbon build up as common culprits.

I will have to pull my plugs this weekend and see what they look like.

I did stall while idling the other day and the idle/shaking feels the same as when i used to run my old truck to empty(broken gas gauge). Could this be the beginning of the end of my HPFP?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

If your plugs are only 6,000 km old, I can't see how they'd be an issue, assuming you used OEM / Bosch ZGR6STE2 ones. They say for tuned cars to do them every 15 to 20,000 miles IIRC.

If you haven't done any logs, I'd do that first. I don't know under what conditions you're getting the misfires, like WOT, or regular driving. It would help knowing. Most people do 3rd gear WOT runs from 3000 RPM to 6500 RPM (on Mexican highways ) when logging. Then post them up on this free site to look for timing drops and such. It's pretty cool. You get to toggle on and off various parameters you've logged.

Like this guy's log. You can see how he had multiple 3 degree timing corrections in cylinder 2 at 5000 RPM and 5800 RPM:

datazap.me | rlee134 | first run
Fuel pressure (both low and HPFP) can be logged as well to see if the pumps are keeping up with the requested PSI, along with fuel trims, so you could see if fueling is the issue.

It's been a while I've read up on the HPFP symptoms, but IIRC your car's a US one, so at least it should have the extended warranty on it to 10 years / 200,000 km's.

If you've not taken your car to the dealer since you bought it to ensure there's no outstanding recalls on your VIN, I'd call them up and see. There were a bunch that came out at the time, for the HPFP and injectors. See bulletins below.

Usually you get a code from the HPFP going, but sometimes not. Most times I believe you get longer cranking times when starting the car though. The Bavarian Excel file has some typical codes for fuel pumps going or HPFP if you look in it. The shaking could be it. My HPFP just died on me very quickly from symptom to complete bust (all in one day), but for some, it's a slow death over many days.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B131310_Customer_Letter.pdf (51.6 KB, 202 views)
SI B13 09 10 - software.pdf (136.7 KB, 193 views)
SI B13 13 10 - HPFP.pdf (155.8 KB, 398 views)
SI B13 14 10 - injectors.pdf (233.8 KB, 215 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

As an aside, I need to buy myself new spark plugs. They're $12 in the US, but of course, $30 here... Got any decent online parts sites in Canada that might sell them? They seem to be $17 at autopartsway.ca which is a great price, but they're out of stock.

Failing that, locally where I can buy them for no more than high teens each?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:44 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 08 535xi

You have leaky injectors. After the cars sits the injectors leak into the cylinders and cause misfires/rough running due to the additional fuel in the cylinders. The o2 lambda faults are cause by the unburned fuel in the exhaust. I would replace all three bank one (cylinders 1, 2, and 3) injectors.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

And if that's the case, since injectors were covered by a recall, I'd first make sure with the dealer at least the recall's been performed on your car, before shelling out your own $.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM
New Members

Damn i think i got all recalls covered during the import process, but ill check again. Unless im completely confused, shouldn't i be able to swap the injectors from 1-3 to 4-6. I should then in theory get misfires in 4-6. This way i can see if thats the problem before shelling out cash.

It was not during WOT that the shakes hit. Just started it up and it happened. As for plugs, I never did find them locally and ended up ordering from states to Point Roberts
Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Not sure, I guess you could do that, since it works with coils... I've read of people having to code injectors, but maybe that's just for new ones.

Yeah, in theory, before the import, they needed to have checked the VIN for outstanding recalls, but you never know. Since it's just a call, I'd do it just to be safe.

Autopartsway.ca seems like it would have been a good source, at $17 CDN, but they're out of stock, and I found out from another CDN parts supplier, it's because they're hard to get in all of Canada right now. So I'll bookmark that site for future.

This guy's based in Toronto, and sells tuning stuff, along with the plugs for $105 US including shipping, which is like $20 CDN each:

http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...&productId=103

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-28-2014 at 12:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle + Misfires + Stall