E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rotor Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 e61 535xi 6MT, 1999 e36/8 M Coupe
Model Year: 2010, 1999
Engine: N54, S52
Default Rotor Recommendations

I did attempt a few searches in the e61 Discussion forum, but did not find much about recommendations. If I missed a thread in this forum or in another, please forgive me.

I am planning on replacing my OEM rotors on my 2010 e61 535i (70k miles), which are currently over 1mm less than the stated minimum on the rotors.

Does anyone have a recommendation for upgraded slotted rotors? I am planning to replace pads at the same time with EBC Red Stuff.

Thanks, Adam
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

I think every person will recommend their own according to their good and bad experience with them...so you might end up with 3 answers and 3 different recommendations.

For what is worth, I used ECS cross drilled and slotted rotors because I wanted extra rust resistance. In Chicago, the city uses a lot of salt to melt the snow, so rotors take a good hit on that and, in my opinion, rusted rotor hubs look terrible. I have had them for about 2 years and they still look pretty good, I am very satisfied with them, no warping or cracking. The price was excellent as well and the service from ECS Tuning is top notch too.
Attached Thumbnails Rotor Recommendations-20150920_104100.jpeg   Rotor Recommendations-20151111_111850_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by pocholin; 04-20-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added photos
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
I think every person will recommend their own according to their good and bad experience with them...so you might end up with 3 answers and 3 different recommendations.

For what is worth, I used ECS cross drilled and slotted rotors because I wanted extra rust resistance. In Chicago, the city uses a lot of salt to melt the snow, so rotors take a good hit on that and, in my opinion, rusted rotor hubs look terrible. I have had them for about 2 years and they still look pretty good, I am very satisfied with them, no warping or cracking. The price was excellent as well and the service from ECS Tuning is top notch too.
Thanks for the response and opinion. I am generally a fan of ECS and do most of my ordering from them, if not only because of the selection and speedy shipping.

I had actually hoped to get multiple opinions just to see if people are mostly using 2-4 models or if the usage is all over the place.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default Rotors

I just purchased a brake kit from R1 Concepts for $326.00 i got the drill and slotted rotors the black zinc edition. 4 rotors brake pads and sensor cables. Its a nice kit. I found it on ebay but i went ahead and call R1 Concepts and got a sale deal. I would of paid about 80 bucks more from ebay. If you like i can pull them out of the box and text you a pic. Im waiting for the indy guy to get back in town for the install. I have a 07 550i.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pocholin

Nice i looked at those also. But alot of the bimmer guys where im at in Florida talk about R1's and Stoptech
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by apaisncsu
Thanks for the response and opinion. I am generally a fan of ECS and do most of my ordering from them, if not only because of the selection and speedy shipping.

I had actually hoped to get multiple opinions just to see if people are mostly using 2-4 models or if the usage is all over the place.
The R1 tech said with the black rotors the shoes will eventually remove some of the color and they will appear 2 tone. I like that bc im gonna go with the Axe ex20 wheels machine face with a gloss black on the edge of the lip to about an inch inside the lip the rest of the barrel is machinw polish with blk rivets to me the wheels are freakin nice and they are concave. My car is blk. Go to www.axewheels.com.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: Car

Personally I would skip the slotted rotors and avoid EBC pads. If you want the look of slots or dimples or holes then go for it but don't do it thinking it helps you stop. As for EBC pads, I had them disintegrate on me and know several people that had them come apart from the backing plate. What are you looking for in your brakes, that makes it easier to recommend parts.

Cheap blank rotors and PFC z-rated pads are my picks for a daily driver. Also, if you have specific questions on brake pad compounds, give Edwin a call at RaceShopper.com
Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JeffVT
Personally I would skip the slotted rotors and avoid EBC pads. If you want the look of slots or dimples or holes then go for it but don't do it thinking it helps you stop. As for EBC pads, I had them disintegrate on me and know several people that had them come apart from the backing plate. What are you looking for in your brakes, that makes it easier to recommend parts.

Cheap blank rotors and PFC z-rated pads are my picks for a daily driver. Also, if you have specific questions on brake pad compounds, give Edwin a call at RaceShopper.com
I was planning on the EBC Red Stuff because of the significant reduction in brake dust and because I have friends who have vetted their quality. Aside from brake dust reduction, I am just looking for good stopping power for aggressive street use.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:06 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

I am a sucker for frozenrotors.com
Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 E61

I'm a fan of aggressive pads and the cheapest rotors I can find. Nothing like the feel of an aggressive pad that gets more bite on a rotor the hotter it gets, opposed to fade from a standard OEM pad.

I've found no difference in lifespan or stopping power of a cheap rotor to an expensive one. I like the Zimmerman Z-coat because I don't have to paint the hats. I've used the cheapest Chinese rotors I can find for my trucks. I've never had a pad out live a rotor and I replace rotors when I replace the pads.

I've used Axxis Ultimates (also sold as PBR Ultimates) on Audis and BMWs for many years. When these are not available for my application I use EBC Yellowstuff. (e.g. Chevrolet Trucks). I'm also running EBC's on my E61 M5 brake conversion. Both of these pads are in no way low dust, they are however almost immune to heat fade. Nothing scarier than brake fade when hot stopping a car from triple digits or a truck with a 10,000# trailer on the back.

I'm a firm believer in pad bedding. I've used Stop Tech's recommended procedure for many years on lots of different cars and trucks.

I also subscribe to Stop Tech's The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System information. If my brakes are hot, I leave enough space in front to allow me to creep rather than clamping a pad to a hot rotor during a stop.