E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

roof rails on m-sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='495139' date='Nov 16 2007, 11:57 AM
Jet Black is actually the only "real" black... as carbon black is more dark blue. Now, Jet Black looks great on a new car - my inital choice actually - but realising the painstaking job of keeping that colour beautiful throughout the years in a sligthly unfriendly climate as the Scandinavian... I went for a metallic. (Here in Sweden there are so many carbon black's so I ended up with Platnium Grey, something I have never regretted. But that's another story...)

That's exactly what is going through my mind -- Jet Black looks great in the show-room, but what's it going to look like after a (German) winter, lots of kilometers and plenty of car washes... metallic is probably the logical answer. And I totally agree with your last comment, there are simply sooooo many E61s in Carbon Black.

Platinum Grey was my favourite having seen yours and one or two others here in the forum, but recently saw it on an m-sport under normal light conditions and it looked very matt / dull. Admitedly it was a pretty dirty example, but still, it surprised how matt-grey it looked. In the show-room it looked incredible. What is your experience with the colour?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this car look great with the roofrails or does it look great !?
Attached Thumbnails roof rails on m-sport-index1.jpg  
Old 11-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by new generation' post='495202' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:40 PM
Not really my first choice of mods, but it certainly looks good -- but not because of the roof rails! I still think the pictures above posted by fontes79 are seriously hot

Will be test driving the 525dA tomorrow and talking to my dealer about 19s on a touring -- and yes, I have asked him to educate himself on the possibilities to avoid me turning up there and get confronted with a blank expression! His first answer was, "its not possible", and I have passed information to assure him it is... don't mess with E60.NET !!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='495214' date='Nov 16 2007, 05:17 PM
don't mess with E60.NET !!
Haha... I had the same experience with my dealer, and subsequently bought my 172M wheels from Sales After in Bayreuth (which also happens to be a BMW dealer!)

E60 Net rules, that for sure.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by new generation' post='495202' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:40 PM

Tell me more about that car!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='495157' date='Nov 16 2007, 02:17 PM
Platinum Grey was my favourite having seen yours and one or two others here in the forum, but recently saw it on an m-sport under normal light conditions and it looked very matt / dull. Admitedly it was a pretty dirty example, but still, it surprised how matt-grey it looked. In the show-room it looked incredible. What is your experience with the colour?
... dirty car? Jeezes, tell that guy to behave or sell his car!

Ok, seriously - my car is more than dirty after a week in "pre-winter" conditions and yes, there is a difference in the sparkle when cleaned and when not. But... which colour doesn't look worse when dirty? But, as PG is a rather dark colour I admit you need to look after it more than, say Space Grey. I've tried to solve that problem by having the car treated with a seal so that it keeps the "sparkle" even when not squeaky clean.

And as said before, I love the Platinum Grey.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Members

19" wheels all around is legal. you can see it in the driver door, with the tire pressure. since LCI.

I have put the 275/30R19 in the rear, because i prefer so. and i also bought them from salesafter
Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My dealer phoned me up earlier and has said he will find a way of fitting my M5 rims (245 front, 275 rear + spacer) and will get these formally added to the cars paperwork before delivery -- good man! He has also offered me the M184 rims as a winter set-up. Sounds pretty good, but now means I need to work out if I like the style M184 rim, which is the M5 winter-wheel... Its all go here at the moment!

Thanks for the feedback narvselius -- its confirmed what I thought and contrary to what you read a lot in the forums, namely that PG is also medium-high maintenance, unlike silver or space grey which is very low maintenance. That said, when its clean, PG does look fantastic (Probably still going to go with a variant of black though -- actually, who nows until I hit the order button!)
Old 11-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525dA : panoramic roof - xenon lights - heated seats - GPS - PDC - CD changer

Personally I like my roof rails. But I do find it a pitty that when the vent of my panoramic room is set to tilt end the two panels are open, you can hardly see it from the outside.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 1980 E12 M535i, 1993 535i 5spd Touring, wife's '06 X3

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='495286' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:07 PM
My dealer phoned me up earlier and has said ........
So did your dealer confirm that you can delete the roof rails from the order? If so, what is the BMW option code to delete them?

Quick Reply: roof rails on m-sport