E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Roll-up cover no longer resetting

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:41 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Ride: .

I know I am resurrecting an old post, but am hopeful someone might have some more information on the automatic cargo cover. I am exactly where BostonJon left off at: the motor works with 12V and the wiring appears to be ok. Has anyone successfully diagnosed beyond this point? Is it a simple coding issue?
The following users liked this post:
cjc (09-19-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:50 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi

I have an occasional (90% of the time) issue with my right side "lip" not releasing when I open my tailgate. Suspect it is the gears inside of the mechanism..

Otherwise, works great lol
Old 09-30-2020, 05:01 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac
I know I am resurrecting an old post, but am hopeful someone might have some more information on the automatic cargo cover. I am exactly where BostonJon left off at: the motor works with 12V and the wiring appears to be ok. Has anyone successfully diagnosed beyond this point? Is it a simple coding issue?
I have since sold the car, but i found a used LCPA module on eBay and gave that a try. I swapped it out and the cover worked perfectly until the day I sold the car in January of this year.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
I have since sold the car, but i found a used LCPA module on eBay and gave that a try. I swapped it out and the cover worked perfectly until the day I sold the car in January of this year.
Nice! I had bought a replacement and nothing changed, maybe I'll look at it a bit closer in INPA to see if anything is off.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Nice! I had bought a replacement and nothing changed, maybe I'll look at it a bit closer in INPA to see if anything is off.
i cant remember if i did any recoding or not or updating of the VO
Old 11-09-2020, 06:54 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 530xiT
Engine: N52

Besides water damage to the LCPA module under the spare tire, water running down the D-pillar (due to plugged sunroof drains) can also damage the small motor that releases the black lever to allow the roller cover up.

Here's the feature description from ISTA for future reference:
Roller cover for luggage compartment
System functions

The following system functions are described for the roller cover for luggage compartment:
- Function logic on opening the luggage compartment lid/rear window
- Function logic on closing the luggage compartment lid/rear window
- Blocking protection, overheating protection
- Action in the event of deviation from the target position

Function logic on opening the luggage compartment lid/rear window
On opening the luggage compartment lid or rear window, the roller cover release drives are activated; these unlock the locking
catches in the guide rails. The spring force then moves the roller cover upwards until it makes contact with the rubber buffer.
There is a reed contact in the ”Open” position. A magnet in the end of the roller cover rod causes the reed contact to close. If the
roller cover is disengaged, the reed contact remains open. The driver position ”Zero” (Softstop at top) is the top end position of the
driver located behind the rubber buffer.

Function logic on closing the luggage compartment lid/rear window
On closing the luggage compartment lid or rear window, drivers in the left-hand and right-hand guide rail pull the roller cover into
the ”Closed” position. Both drivers are moved by the roller cover release drives via flexible shafts.

Blocking protection, overheating protection
The drives of the roller cover for luggage compartment are protected by a temperature switch. Triggering of the temperature switch
is an exception in the event of malfunctions and blocking. The roller cover controller protects itself using a software model.

Action in the event of deviation from the target position
The length of the travel path from the zero position to ”Closed” position of the driver is stored in the software (number of Hall
impulses of the drive). The target position ”Zero” and ”Closed” can shift e.g. due to elasticities in the complete system. In the
event of premature blocking during the travel, i.e. unexpected absence of the Hall impulses in the drive, a readjustment of the
system is triggered via a so-called standardisation run by the software.

Brief description of components
The following components are described for the roller cover for luggage compartment:

Roller cover controller
The roller cover controller is the transmitter for the status signal ”Roller cover at top”. It controls an excess force limitation or
blockage detection and the initialisation run.

Reed contact and magnet
The reed contact is used to check the ”Roller cover in Open position”. If the roller cover is disengaged, the reed contact remains
open. A magnet in the end of the roller cover rod causes the reed contact to close.

KBM: Body Base Module
The KBM activates the roller cover release drives.

KGM: Body Gateway Module
The function logic for the automatic roller cover is implemented in the KGM. The KGM sends the roller cover controller a message
to move the driver. The activation for lowering depends on whether the reed contact is closed (roller cover at top). The KGM stores
the faults of the roller cover controller.
Byootox (08-03-2023)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:10 PM
New Members

I got mine working. I'm not certain what did it, but it was most likely either coding the LCPA or triggering it with ISTA.
My situation was that everything seemed to work except for the "up/down" guides...but the motor worked when I put 12V to it manually. The roll cover catches would release when I opened the hatch, but the motor would not run the cover up or down. In the process of troubleshooting, I had tossed a used LCPA at it since it was $12 on eBay awhile back.
Tonight I decided to tinker with it some more now that I am more familiar with the software. I was thinking I would program it with winkfp, then code it with ncsexpert and see if that fixed it.
There is no LCPA in winkfp, so I went ahead and did the HKL. I don't think that fixed anything, pretty sure I checked the hatch at this point and no joy.
I then went ahead and coded the LCPA in ncsexpert, which may have fixed it.
The other thing I did was use ISTA to trigger the "up/down" guides. Thanks to @ripp222 I knew to look in the KGM, otherwise I would have never found it. In ISTA, in the KGM module ECU tests, there is an option to trigger the roll cover closed (down). Mine was already down, so nothing happened...but the magic came when I triggered it off and the guides motored up! It then went up and down on command with the trigger.

So, my thoughts are one of two things fixed my problem:
1) Coding the LCPA in ncsexpert: my module came from eBay, so it may not have been coded properly.
2) Triggering the motor with ISTA: the motor may have just needed to be triggered/calibrated/reset and ISTA did the trick.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the reed switch needing to be triggered. But I'm 50/50 on which actually did it. Hopefully this helps someone else, I know it's a silly problem but hopefully now it's a bit easier to troubleshoot! It's possible the cover just needed to be run all the way up so if you are stubborn about not using ISTA, you could manually put 12V to the motor and run the guides all the way up which my trigger the reed switch to get it working. I had motored my guides all the way down as I figured at least that way it operated like a manual cargo cover, so the LCPA may have never gotten the signal it needed to activate.

P.S. - I did not have any HKL or KGM faults. I also checked INPA to see if I could find the same test as I found in ISTA but got an error when I tried to access the KGM.

Last edited by JoshMcMadMac; 12-23-2020 at 07:17 PM.
6-speed Manual (03-29-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:02 AM
New Members

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xiT Touring, N54, Individual Audio
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54 3.0L Twin Turbo

So, my thoughts are one of two things fixed my problem:
1) Coding the LCPA in ncsexpert: my module came from eBay, so it may not have been coded properly.
2) Triggering the motor with ISTA: the motor may have just needed to be triggered/calibrated/reset and ISTA did the trick.
Thanks for all the great information here. The self resetting function of my cover has never worked since I got the car in 2012. I decided to check it out today - similar process as others - putting 12v to the motor and the guides run well, sound good, no problem. Checked for the magnet on the roll up cover, the function of the limit switch - no problem. Checked for 12V at the LCPA module - no problem. Swapped out the LCPA module with a replacement from ebay - still no function.

I'm thinking the LCPA module may not be coded properly - I managed to get NCS Expert connected and access the KGM module, but this is as far as I got as all the functions are in german and I don't have a guide. JoshMcMadMac - can you give me some guidance here on how you coded your LCPA module? Would appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by gman6262
Thanks for all the great information here. The self resetting function of my cover has never worked since I got the car in 2012. I decided to check it out today - similar process as others - putting 12v to the motor and the guides run well, sound good, no problem. Checked for the magnet on the roll up cover, the function of the limit switch - no problem. Checked for 12V at the LCPA module - no problem. Swapped out the LCPA module with a replacement from ebay - still no function.

I'm thinking the LCPA module may not be coded properly - I managed to get NCS Expert connected and access the KGM module, but this is as far as I got as all the functions are in german and I don't have a guide. JoshMcMadMac - can you give me some guidance here on how you coded your LCPA module? Would appreciate it.
You'll want to do winkfp first to make sure it's programmed properly, then ncsexpert just to be sure. I did the HKL module.
winkfp: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...or-programming
ncsexpert: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ith-NCS-Expert
*With the ncsexpert guide you just need the basics since you are not modifying anything. Just get it all loaded up with your VIN, then code the HKL.

Also see if you can trigger the cover motor in INPA or ISTA. I think running the cover all the way up in ISTA could have been what fixed it for me. If you don't have ISTA and don't want to be bothered with it, you might be able to manually put 12V on the motor to run the cover all the way up, that could do the trick.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:06 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xiT

new member, 2008 535xi T.

is the roller cover rod magnet visible? is it inside the end plastic roller, or is the metal roller wheel near the end also the "magnet" .... i may have the wrong cargo cover installed (saved from a previous wagon) even though everything else about it clicks in and fits fine.

the cover releases and snaps up under its own tension, but does not reset on closing the tailgate glass. when not deployed, rolled up, the release mechanism does not engage when opening the glass. 12v applied to the motor directly, the fuzzy "spring" moves up and down the track smoothly.

Quick Reply: Roll-up cover no longer resetting