E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rear Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 06:35 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by adonnan
I cut a new hole in that grommet because that wiring loom was sealed up with some RTV type goop rubber material to keep moisture out. I ran the 12+ and ground for the camera power off of the passenger side backup light wiring, but that may be throwing a code as video cut out after a few seconds of display. Diagnosing now.

FYI I am using NaviFly / Avin USA android screen replacement on a 2010 E61
how do you like the Avin screen?
any delay or issues with the car's operation?

does it display the idrive info like HVAC and messages?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61
Engine: N54

I'm considering doing a rear camera install on my E61. A few other people use my vehicle from time to time, and I just like the added security of a camera.

I'm looking to do this inexpensively, and looking at some of the "universal" cameras that are out there. What I've found is the handle-mounted ones don't have a very good viewing angle (mores vertically, they point "down") and the license-plate light mounted cameras seem to point closer to straight back - giving much greater view of distant objects and wider field of view.

Here's an example of the camera I looked at on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

What other hardware and coding would I need to do?

Last edited by irjetsetter; 04-16-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61
Model Year: 2010

I'm not sure of your budget but I like these a lot. Wireless Apple carplay and an oem style rear view camera works awesome in our car.

https://andrewdonnan.com/2019/backup-cameras-wireless-apple-carplay-in-e90-and-e60-bmws/

I've installed a camera only solution in the e90 before, but the time spent running the wiring is what takes the most effort getting through the hatch.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:52 AM
New Members

Thanks, that's a nice outline of needed parts. I would be interested in adding CarPlay - so this might work well for both. I've heard mixed feedback on some of these units not working well for phone calls and having some reliability issues - what is your experience with the Android headunit you have?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:22 AM
New Members

I've had zero performance or voice or audio quality issues with the 9.0 4gb Android unit. All steering wheel controls work, hand free calls through Apple carplay etc. If I can find some time I'll make a video about it.

Basically buy the most powerful Android unit available. They only quirks was getting the resolution set right at first install. Even the seller provided some software updates. I use FCC launcher to get quickly into Apple carplay
Old 01-22-2020, 12:55 PM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I just installed the Avin 8.8" one this last weekend and so far am really happy. Installed the wireless backup camera last night and that went fine, haven't run it with the engine on yet (if that affects the wireless signal or anything). I just wanted Wireless CarPlay so I couldn't give a rip about any of the Android-ness of it or other built in apps. I feel my iPhone does a much better job of managing the display and Siri works great on it. As a bonus, the iDrive knob works in all the places within CarPlay so I don't have to touch the screen at all (it's a bit far to reach in my opinion). I got one of the Avin Avant 4 units for my E46 a few months ago and that was successful enough that I bought this one. So far I think this one works a bit better than my Avant 4. As others have said in the past, temper your expectations a bit and I think you'll be plenty happy with it.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:01 PM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

They only quirks was getting the resolution set right at first install. Even the seller provided some software updates.
Did you come from a MASK unit like I did? My display is still stretched across the screen when in OEM mode. I don't mind too much, but didn't see a better option. I looked through the list of various units it provided but for CCC options I didn't find anything that looks like it should match my needs. Was hoping to find something like "CCC_E60(6.5",HalfScreen)" but found nothing of the sort. Perhaps if I try the CIC option, wasn't sure if that would cause me any problems.

Here's my list of resolutions.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you have a 2010 so you have CIC which probably works differently than the MASK unit for this purpose.

Last edited by kd7iwp; 01-22-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:16 PM
New Members

Adding up everything in the shared post looks like it would be close to $500 - not really an ideal budget.

I just need the camera to work when the gear selector is put into reverse and have the image show up on the CIC display. Has anyone done an OEM retrofit of the reverse camera option? Could I just salvage the parts from a car that is equipped with this from the factory?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 AM
New Members

I do remember doing a camera-only addition to an e91 wagon I used to own. It'll be a bit cheaper than a full screen replacement. You'll need the handle w/camera, the emulator, and possibly a capacitor to help power the camera so the lights don't pulse it. This looks like a plug and play harness for e9x and e6x units.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
Old 09-03-2020, 03:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010
Default Hatch movement

Originally Posted by aquilesgrace
Thanks for that last tip (regarding the hatch)! How did you move the hatch up and down with the power wires disconnected?
Nox Vidmate VLC
You can manually move the hatch up or down slightly. In fact, you have to brace it open, if I remember correctly. Careful that you don't move it repetitively too much. My hydraulic pump started leaking just after that.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Install