E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Is the panoramic sunroof worth 1800€?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d

For my wife sunroof was must-to-have, so now we have it

Sunroof has been totally silent in my car and usually I drive shade open, because it makes interior more light. Also kids like to watch airplans etc. Actually that has been a major advantage.

But still is must have only when you already have selected xenons, pdc and leather at least.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467882' date='Sep 10 2007, 03:32 PM
I think you have to press it more than that if you also have the sunshade closed, right?
No, that's the nice thing about it. If you start with having both the sunshade and the glass closed, or just the glass doesn't matter. It all opens at the famous "double click"..
Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

I very nearly deleted it from my car when I was ordering (it's standard on the Alpina in UK spec) - it adds a bunch of weight high up, significantly reduces torsional rigidity and (if you haven't already paid for it, as in my case) it's fairly expensive. Not worth it, IMHO, unless you're a SADS sufferer.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

How many of the options is really worth the money?

In your case I would consider a 525d first, then the roof. I think power is a clear priority before glass over your head.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hythe' post='469219' date='Sep 13 2007, 09:26 PM
Not worth it, IMHO, unless you're a SADS sufferer.
Whatza SADS...? Sun Addictive Driving Sucker...?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Sorry, SAD, not SADS. That's something different.

Seasonally Affected Disorder = excuse for being a grumpy sod on a gloomy winter morning.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 Sport: Space Grey/Blk, Cold Weather Pkg., Nav

If you have not yet made up your mind....

I live in sunny Southern California where we have at least as many open-air motoring days as anywhere. My E61 came equipped with the panoramic roof (purchased from inventory, I did not have the choice). Many good points were made by others: cost, weight/CG, noise, etc. I would add to the list of possible concerns future reliability - the control and mechanisms for the roof are complex. I wonder how they will hold up long-term??

Having said that, the interior of the vehicle is extremely pleasant with the shade open. Sometimes it is too hot for the A/C to maintain a comfortable interior temperature with the shade open, but in more temperate weather, it is VERY nice to have the sky above your head (and all of your passenger's heads) while driving through a beautiful forest or landscape.

The noise is not an issue when the glass and shade are closed. The shade provides not only protection from the light, but it significantly attenuates the noise that passes through the glass, as well. There will be more wind noise with the shade open, but it is not offensive at semi-legal velocities. I would second other's comments on noise and buffeting with the glass tilted or open.

Good luck...
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by rubencr' post='470405' date='Sep 17 2007, 04:41 PM
If you have not yet made up your mind....

I live in sunny Southern California where we have at least as many open-air motoring days as anywhere. My E61 came equipped with the panoramic roof (purchased from inventory, I did not have the choice). Many good points were made by others: cost, weight/CG, noise, etc. I would add to the list of possible concerns future reliability - the control and mechanisms for the roof are complex. I wonder how they will hold up long-term??

Having said that, the interior of the vehicle is extremely pleasant with the shade open. Sometimes it is too hot for the A/C to maintain a comfortable interior temperature with the shade open, but in more temperate weather, it is VERY nice to have the sky above your head (and all of your passenger's heads) while driving through a beautiful forest or landscape.

The noise is not an issue when the glass and shade are closed. The shade provides not only protection from the light, but it significantly attenuates the noise that passes through the glass, as well. There will be more wind noise with the shade open, but it is not offensive at semi-legal velocities. I would second other's comments on noise and buffeting with the glass tilted or open.

Good luck...

In response to the original poster's question:

YES!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rubencr' post='470405' date='Sep 18 2007, 12:41 AM

Well spoken! I fully agree after using the sunroof for a couple of months. It adds another dimension to the whole driving experience.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 AM
Members

Thanks to all of you for your comments.
I did order the sunroof!

I will share my thoughts with you again once I receive the car.

Cheers,
Joa?

Quick Reply: Is the panoramic sunroof worth 1800€?