E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Is the panoramic sunroof worth 1800€?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am putting down an order for a 520d touring. I can't make up my mind whether to put a panoramic sunroof on it. Therefore I would appreciate comments on one, or more, of the following questions:
* How likely it is that I will get noises in the car because of the sunroof?
* How often do you use it?
* Up to what speed is it possible to drive with the roof open without being unpleasant?
* On resale, do people value the roof appropriately?
Thanks!
JP
Old 09-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Contributors

Your geographical location makes a big difference.

In the UK, a "rain roof" is very down on the requirements list. It is just about the only option I never tick when buying a new car. Plus, as I have a bald patch, I prefer tin rather than glass above my thinning head.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have a Touring or the panoramic sunroof but I've played with one a few times on service loaners.

The first time I experienced the panoramic roof was on an X3 loaner. It was really nice and "open" in the cabin and the extra ambient light was welcome. On the E61 Touring, in addition to the "openness" like I experienced in the X3, I immediately noticed a wind noise while it was closed that stopped if I pressed up on the front edge of the roof. I think this problem is fixable -- take a look here for more information:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37317&hl=

As far as driving around with it open, I think you'll get a significant harmonic disturbance (annoying wind buffeting/vibration) if you open it all the way without any other windows open. When you open the roof, I think it has one of those silly intermediate stops where it doesn't open all the way until you press the open button again. I think the first stop will allow for driving around without the harmonic disturbance which is probably why it's there in the first place.

Last month, I had an E90 Touring loaner with the panoramic roof and it, too, had the wind noise when closed and the harmonic disturbance while all the way open. Why the hell can't they get this right? Wouldn't a higher pop-up deflector solve this buffeting problem?

I'm sure people that actually own a car with the panoramic roof will chime in with more details. I will say this though, if I were ordering a car that had that option available, I'd probably get it and have them fix the wind noise issue right away. After that, I'd probably just be sure to crack a window or two to stop the buffeting when I have the roof all the way open...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Members

I've had full length sunroofs on my last two cars, wouldn't be without them through choice now as they make the cabin seem much more spacious as Rudy says. They do increase wind noise regardless if they are open or closed but its not a massive amount unless the seals or fitment is out. With the roof fully open and the windows shut I find its about 40 mph before the buffeting becomes unbearable.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Contributors

The noise is really evident when closed at about 50-60 mph but if you have a good sound system, you don't notice it. What is so positive is the fact that you get so much light in the car - that is just awesome...
Old 09-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Living in Scandinavia and still enjoying the panoramic sunroof sounds maybe as an anomaly for you...

The major advantages are:
* The sunlight coming into the coup?. Especially in cars with the black inner roof.
* The ability to tip the two glasses which allows you going with "open" roof while driving on the motorway. If it isn't raining I'm using this feature every day.
* And of course, going at a lower speed (up to 70 km/h/45 miles) you can have it fully open and really enjoy yourself.

Rudy: If you press the button twice fast it will open fully, so you don't have to sit and wait until it reached the first "comfort position" before pressing again... It took me a while before I understood this myself. And I even read the manual at delivery!

But it's very expensive... and it increases the cars weight with some 30 kilos. At the worst place of the all - at the top!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

VERY EXPENSIVE that is, no wonder people over look it. Extortionate!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Members

in cheaper cars u get an extra removeable roof. i mean that u can choose to have the extra sunlight/noise or not. my father has it in his subaru he can have the extra sunlight but when it is raining he prefers to slight the roof in front of the glass. keeps it also more warm in your car.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='467818' date='Sep 10 2007, 05:14 AM
Rudy: If you press the button twice fast it will open fully, so you don't have to sit and wait until it reached the first "comfort position" before pressing again... It took me a while before I understood this myself. And I even read the manual at delivery!
Yeah, I discovered that feature after a little while but forgot about it since I don't get an opportunity to drive a car with one very much.

I think you have to press it more than that if you also have the sunshade closed, right?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I have it on my X5, it is nice to have but not a must have. It provides all the benefits mentioned in previous posts and people riding in the rear really enjoy the view etc. But for the money I would say no.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Is the panoramic sunroof worth 1800€?