E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Ordering a new 525d. need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?m going to order a new 525d Touring this week. So far i have decided to have the monaco blue, comfort seats in nappa tobacco leather, comfort pack, usb aux. Do you guys have any additions or opinions?? What type of rims should i go for?

(have somebody tested the 525d engine?)
Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

525d is a great engine....torque and fun to drive.
Get 18inchers without RFTs
Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Members

Does the RFTs reduce the comfort in any way? How long did you have to drive your 525d engine before you could really get max performance?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

RFTs reduce comfort drastically!
I just had to drive it out the driveway and the max performance was delivered
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 AM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

I have a 525d Auto with just on 10k miles on it, things seem pretty settled. I did follow the break in details given, but since then I have ensured it gets to the red line from time to time. So far, no oil top up required.

I have the standard 17" rims with RFT. I must admit I did buy the compact spare (?75 new, easily double later) in case the RFTs were terrible. I have found them to be OK, it seems the 18" or above RFTs seem to be the worse. Mine are 225/50 and that size seems to OK comfort wise. They can be a little noisy, depending on road surface, but no need to turn up the volume to cover it.

I would add the Logic7, I removed the smokers pack to free up the door pockets a little. If you drive a fair bit, the xenon lights are fantastic, and worth every penny.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='574324' date='May 5 2008, 10:45 AM
RFTs reduce comfort drastically!
I just had to drive it out the driveway and the max performance was delivered
mine just arrived, pick it up friday,

VERY soon....
'08 525xd touring, manual, 'black on black'
carbon black, M sport pack, black dakota leather, tinted windows black trim, anthracite headliner
135 M sport rims, adaptive xenon lights, bluetooth, logic 7 stereo, roof rails, business navigation, auto ac, tow hook
Old 05-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rjc' post='574334' date='May 5 2008, 11:33 AM
I have a 525d Auto with just on 10k miles on it, things seem pretty settled. I did follow the break in details given, but since then I have ensured it gets to the red line from time to time. So far, no oil top up required.

I have the standard 17" rims with RFT. I must admit I did buy the compact spare (?75 new, easily double later) in case the RFTs were terrible. I have found them to be OK, it seems the 18" or above RFTs seem to be the worse. Mine are 225/50 and that size seems to OK comfort wise. They can be a little noisy, depending on road surface, but no need to turn up the volume to cover it.

I would add the Logic7, I removed the smokers pack to free up the door pockets a little. If you drive a fair bit, the xenon lights are fantastic, and worth every penny.
Nice list of extra gear you have . Im from Norway, and here the extra cost for logic 7 is 3000$, but the hifi upgrade is just 1200$. Should i go for the hifi upgrade or do you think Logic 7 is worth the extra cash?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by banon' post='574400' date='May 5 2008, 03:32 PM
Nice list of extra gear you have . Im from Norway, and here the extra cost for logic 7 is 3000$, but the hifi upgrade is just 1200$. Should i go for the hifi upgrade or do you think Logic 7 is worth the extra cash?
It depends how much fuzz you make on the sound quality... You will notice a clear difference between L7 and HiFi System; if you go for the L7, or indeed the Individual High-End Audio System (DIRAC), you will be pleased with the sound, but if you are short on cash you could invest in other important stuff, such as:

- PDC
- 17" rims, eg type 244.
- tinted rear windows

Good luck with your buy, and it's great to have another Scandinavian on board the forum!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Hi Banon,

Welcome on board!

To help us help you, go into your Personal Profile and enter your Location details -- this can be accessed by the My Controls link at the top of the page, then looks at the left hand side of the page.

I see you have gone for the Nappa tobacco leather -- other than colour choice, any particular reason? Going with Dakota leather, such as the Natural Brown, could save you some money for other options -- just a thought.

What's in the Comfort Pack in Norway?

As for the speakers, the HiFi option did not cut it for me so I went for Logic7 and wouldn't go for anything less now. Probably best to listen for yourself, because everyone has different expectations when it comes to speaker sound (in a car).

I had also considered a (m-sport) Touring and had the tinted rear windows and electric boot on my options list. In your case I would also add the shaddow-line, however this is simply a question of personal preference.

As you can see by my current spec, I opted for the largest possible 5er OEM rims for both summer and winter... so obviously I'm now going to recommend you go for the 18" rims As mentioned by others, do this in combination with non-RFT tyres and a spare wheel. The comfort and road noise seems to be improving with the latest RFTs, but personally would not go for them yet.

My car now has 16000km on the clock and it took until around 10000km to really feel right.
I have now also added the Sprint Booster for improved throttle response / quicker power delivery, and am really pleased with the way the car is performing (The car was already great without the Sprint Booster, so don't let that distract or mislead you!)

Hope that helps and hasn't created to many more questions!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='574423' date='May 5 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi Banon,

Welcome on board!

To help us help you, go into your Personal Profile and enter your Location details -- this can be accessed by the My Controls link at the top of the page, then looks at the left hand side of the page.

I see you have gone for the Nappa tobacco leather -- other than colour choice, any particular reason? Going with Dakota leather, such as the Natural Brown, could save you some money for other options -- just a thought.

What's in the Comfort Pack in Norway?

As for the speakers, the HiFi option did not cut it for me so I went for Logic7 and wouldn't go for anything less now. Probably best to listen for yourself, because everyone has different expectations when it comes to speaker sound (in a car).

I had also considered a (m-sport) Touring and had the tinted rear windows and electric boot on my options list. In your case I would also add the shaddow-line, however this is simply a question of personal preference.

As you can see by my current spec, I opted for the largest possible 5er OEM rims for both summer and winter... so obviously I'm now going to recommend you go for the 18" rims As mentioned by others, do this in combination with non-RFT tyres and a spare wheel. The comfort and road noise seems to be improving with the latest RFTs, but personally would not go for them yet.

My car now has 16000km on the clock and it took until around 10000km to really feel right.
I have now also added the Sprint Booster for improved throttle response / quicker power delivery, and am really pleased with the way the car is performing (The car was already great without the Sprint Booster, so don't let that distract or mislead you!)

Hope that helps and hasn't created to many more questions!
Thanks for your advice
I?m going for the nappa leather because I want a different feel than my current e60 520i with black dakota leather.
The comfort package in Norway is: PDC, Xenon, leather, armrest, extended climate system.

I love the M styling, but i?m going for a more classic look, but tinted windows is not a bad idea. Should work great with monaco blue.
The dealer did not have a 525d for me to test drive. So i am i bit nervous as to how the new engine will perform.

(btw, when Ordered my current 5 series i forgot to get the cup holders . Fatal mistake )

Quick Reply: Ordering a new 525d. need advice.