E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking here for some time and appreciate all the information I've picked up.

Now, I need some direct advice. We are now loaded up with an excessive number of BMWs in our driveway. A new 530xiT; a 330i sedan; and a 325xiT. We need to sell one of the 3s. We've got the two dogs to haul and a baby on the way. Plus, the occasionally creaky parent/inlaw to chauffeur. The little wagon is a step transmission; the sedan a manual with the sport suspension and package. We live on a hill that's nasty in bad weather (but I have snow tires/wheels for the sedan).

Mileage on the two 3s is in the low 2X,XXX for both. The sedan is a 2002 with about three months more warranty and no more free maintenance. The wagon is a 2003 with another 1 1/2 years of both.

My partner has a preference to keep the little wagon because she hates driving or riding in my sedan (the hard ride; the stick) and thinks the versatility of having the two wagons is a plus. I have a preference to keep the sedan, well, because it drives like a real BMW should and it provides a real contrast in vehicles. It is also one of the rare flawless cars I've ever owned (knock wood).

Practically speaking, it makes sense to keep both wagons. Emotionally, I would really miss the sedan. The little wagon would end up as my daily driver, so I would bear the brunt of the sacrifice. However, when we bought the first wagon my partner gave up her Z3.

I understand it's a lucky dilemma to have; but a dilemma nonetheless. Any opinions or advice?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wdc530xiT' post='220129' date='Jan 6 2006, 01:39 PM
I've been lurking here for some time and appreciate all the information I've picked up.

Now, I need some direct advice. We are now loaded up with an excessive number of BMWs in our driveway. A new 530xiT; a 330i sedan; and a 325xiT. We need to sell one of the 3s. We've got the two dogs to haul and a baby on the way. Plus, the occasionally creaky parent/inlaw to chauffeur. The little wagon is a step transmission; the sedan a manual with the sport suspension and package. We live on a hill that's nasty in bad weather (but I have snow tires/wheels for the sedan).

Mileage on the two 3s is in the low 2X,XXX for both. The sedan is a 2002 with about three months more warranty and no more free maintenance. The wagon is a 2003 with another 1 1/2 years of both.

My partner has a preference to keep the little wagon because she hates driving or riding in my sedan (the hard ride; the stick) and thinks the versatility of having the two wagons is a plus. I have a preference to keep the sedan, well, because it drives like a real BMW should and it provides a real contrast in vehicles. It is also one of the rare flawless cars I've ever owned (knock wood).

Practically speaking, it makes sense to keep both wagons. Emotionally, I would really miss the sedan. The little wagon would end up as my daily driver, so I would bear the brunt of the sacrifice. However, when we bought the first wagon my partner gave up her Z3.

I understand it's a lucky dilemma to have; but a dilemma nonetheless. Any opinions or advice?
That is quite a dilemma. My 530xiT is my daily driver and though I never owned a 5 series sedan to compare it with, I enjoy driving it as much as I did my 325. My son who currently owns a 325 manual was here for the holidays and said that he couldn't believe that he had as much fun driving the wagon as he has with his car. The point that I'm trying to make is that if you keep both wagons, you're really not giving up much in the way of driving enjoyment.

On the other hand, if you really like the sedan and it's been troublefree, I would buy an extended warranty (I'd never own a BMW without warranty coverage..$$$$) and sell the 3 wagon as long as your partner doesn't mind driiving the 5 wagon, and my guess is that she doesn't. That's probably the way I would lean. Best of both worlds.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by tcoz' post='220196

That is quite a dilemma. My 530xiT is my daily driver and though I never owned a 5 series sedan to compare it with, I enjoy driving it as much as I did my 325. My son who currently owns a 325 manual was here for the holidays and said that he couldn't believe that he had as much fun driving the wagon as he has with his car. The point that I'm trying to make is that if you keep both wagons, you're really not giving up much in the way of driving enjoyment.

On the other hand, if you really like the sedan and it's been troublefree, I would buy an extended warranty (I'd never own a BMW without warranty coverage..$$$$) and sell the 3 wagon as long as your partner doesn't mind driiving the 5 wagon, and my guess is that she doesn't. That's probably the way I would lean. Best of both worlds.

Good luck with your decision.
[/quote]

I cannot disagree with this reply!