E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Need help with identifying all the Modules in the boot under spare tyre.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 12:24 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 05 E61 530i M Sport
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N52
Default Need help with identifying all the Modules in the boot under spare tyre.

Hi I found my my car wouldn’t start.

Realised I had a dead battery.

I went to check it and I found water in the boot on the left side and the right side as well as in the spare wheel well. (Possibly from my sunroof drain seals failing will be addressed ASAP)

Now I know it’s full of modules under there so I may need to replace them all due to water damage.

Can I please get some help in the form of a diagram identifying each module in the foam under the spare wheel.

I know there’s the MPM module and the PDC Module but I’m sure there’s a few others that I can’t remember off the top of my head that have been soaking in Water.

Thanks in Advance.

The following users liked this post:
sixdinnersquid (02-07-2023)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I would not assume you need to replace all of those modules (that would be quite expensive). Drain out the water and air blower everything and then let it dry out and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:58 AM
New Members

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: E61 550i manual gear, panoramic roof, dark blue
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N62 4.8

The orange one. Airbag compressor
Old 12-29-2022, 11:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with donbp. I had the same problem, a couple times. Let everything dry, and it returned to normal operation. Nothing needed to be replaced.

Definitely the sunroof drains. I seem to have to clean mine once a year, even though I normally park in the garage.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 Touring, Manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: e61

Hopefully this qualifies as under the same thread.

I've got some corrosion in my trunk too, and I'm going to have to replace some modules. I think I've got them all identified, so I'm covered there. There are, however, three relays (two salmon and one green, just like here), and corrosion took out two of the wires where they connect to the relay receptacles. I've searched the forums, and I can't see anything specific to these relays.

Does anyone A. know for sure what these modules are for, and B. have any decent closeup photos of non-corroded relays where the wires enter the receptacles? I need to be sure I'm sticking the right wires in the right places when I rehab everything.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:26 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need to replace the relays or not, take the time while you have everything there to relocate the relays and the modules (the white plastic boxes that contain circuit boards - if these get wet and fried you'll in bigger trouble). I can see where your water-logged tools are in the tray, move the relays and modules up and over to a higher place in the tray on the left. This is normally higher and dry so you won't suffer problems in the future.

I learned the hard way.
Porch (11-18-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:29 PM
Probation Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '08 E61 535xi M-sport manual

I just went through this a few weeks ago.

Here's what mine looked like. I don't think I have all the options, but you can probably figure out those that might be missing by process of elimination.

Starting at the top center and the three relays, going clockwise:
  • Relays
  • Tailgate control (HKL)
  • Sunroof/pano (MDS)
  • TPMS (RDC), slots in on its side (couple empty slots for me on either side of it)
  • Parking sensors (PDC), black in my case
  • Air suspension (EHC)
  • Rear seat belt control (LCPA)
  • USB/Bluetooth (MULF)

I had to replace all but the MULF. Some interchange is possible where parts had been superceded, but in that case you might have to code. You can avoid having to recode the car if you can source the same exact part and version (I was able to do that for the PDC and the TPMS, for example).

Be sure to check your fuses, too. My air-ride pump and tailgate pump fuses both blew as well.

sixdinnersquid (03-13-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 01:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: 5 series 520d touring 2009

Hi I've recently bought a 520d touring and all the modules are loose in the left side pocket also there's a space saver wheel but no jack or tool kit can anyone send me a few photos of what I need ti sort this cheers