E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Because of a move to Copenhagen with the company and opting out of the company car policy, it was car shopping time?

I?ve bought a June 2005 E61 530d Auto Touring M-Sport. The spec list is in my signature. Originally I had planned to get another E60, but ended up getting an awesome deal from a local BMW dealer. I have had the rear windows tinted, 15mm H&R spacers fitted to the rear, and put my OEM 19? 128 winter rims on from my previous E60. I took delivery of my new ride in December, but first of all had to get the mods sorted and wait for some good weather before taking pics ? you know how it is

For the benefit of those considering a similar car, changing from an E60 to an E61, or moving between pre-LCI and LCI, I have done a bit of write up.
For those not interested, the pics are below!!

The handling of the E61 is slightly different compared to the E60. You can feel that there isn?t as much weight over the rear axel, which I believe is because the E60 has the fuel tank directly above the rear axel and the E61?s fuel tank is slightly in front of the rear axel. Traction is therefore not quite as good as the E60, but with the 275s on its still more than good enough. The Active Steering is simply awesome ? it completely transforms the handling of the 5er. I still have my E60 at the moment but don?t want to drive it any more, because the standard steering just feels soooo indirect and vague in comparison to the Active Steering. If I was ordering from new, this would be an absolute must have option.

The performance is great and you can really feel the extra 100NM of torque when you floor it. The engine doesn?t feel as smooth as the LCI 3,0L diesel in my 525d, but its 3 year old technology so that?s to be expected. One thing that is very clear, is that the LCI Auto gear box is light-years better than the pre-LCI Auto; the LCI is much quicker and also holds the gear better, especially in combination with the Sprint Booster. I am getting used to this, but I do really miss the LCI auto.

Panorama Glass Roof. It is simply incredible how much more light it provides in the car. When you put it all the way back, its not far off driving a cabrio. When driving however, you then remember how loud these things are... when they are closed! Its the same old story as with my first E60's sunroof; you need to keep treating/replacing the seals to keep them being effective at keeping out wind noise. With the internal roof-lining panel closed however, you hear no wind-noise. I would say that it is (unfortunately) a question of compromise, however definitely worth having on the E61. I typically drive with it open and at higher speeds I simply close the roof-liner panel if the noise bothers me too much.

With regards to the question of greater noise from the boot compared to the E60, you can notice this from time to time. At first it was a little irritating being able to hear things move in the boot, but typically I don?t have much in there. Further more, I always drive with the stereo on and this car is fitted with the Logic7 --- problem sorted!

Half Leather vs. Full Leather. This car has the Half Leather combo and I love it. I think I was probably always too much of a snob to consider half leather! But having now being sat on it over the past month, I've realised just how much more comfortable it is than full (Dakota) leather. You can?t see it in the pics very well, but the black cloth has fine white dots on it, which are the perfect blend between the Alu Cube trim and the black leather. That said, I still prefer the look of the Natural Brown full leather ? Black Trim combo in my 525d. If had the choice between the two, I currently don?t know if I would choose the comfort over the looks ? thankfully I don?t need to make that choice

In summary: I prefer the look of the E60, but must say I really love the look of my E61 M-Sport in Carbon Black with rear tinted windows and 19s. When inside the car, the handling is near enough the same for regular driving, but as an extra you get all that light from the Panorama Glass Roof. I might still remove the roof rails and change the grills, but apart from that I?m just going to enjoy my new pride and joy? :twothumbs:

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side_front.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side_front2.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side2.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side_back2.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_side_back.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_back.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_interior_door.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_interior_wheel_x.jpg

My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!-530d_128_interior_centre.jpg
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Great write up and pics

What about the acoustics compared to the E60? Did you loose much regarding stereo sound, or is it impossible fot you to compare (ie did you have L7 in the E60)?

Any mods planned?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

My attention span is short, so I stopped after the 1st 2 paragraphs. Great write up and effort nonetheless. I love those 128s.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60

Hallo!

Alles Gute in DK und viel Spa? mit deinem Neuen!

Gr??e aus ?sterreich
Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 530i M-Sport Carbon Black, black Dakota leather, advantage, comfort and M-Sport package, comfort seats, sport automatic transmission, alarm system, rails, folding and auto dimming mirrors, PDC, xenons, hi-fi loudspeaker system, USB interface, detachable towbar, navi pro, bluetooth phone prep. light package.

Nice car and write up. I can see you prefer carbonblack on your 5 series, it's an awesome colour!

Enjoy your stay i Copenhagen, hope you can avoid paying those insane danish car taxes...
Old 01-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Congratulations on the new E61, and nice write-up!

The next time that I am in CPH, I will send you a PM and we can get-to-gether for a quick, E61 M-Sport photo shoot!

Happy motoring.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

It looks like your next car will be 535d as you tend to get stronger and stronger engines I'm just curious why you replaced '08 LCI with '05 pre-LCI? Of course - the touring is GREAT I love it too. One thing I'm missing is the sunroof but I exchanged it for comfort seats.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='764503
My attention span is short, so I stopped after the 1st 2 paragraphs. Great write up and effort nonetheless. I love those 128s.
Thanks
I deliberately wrote a line in there saying "for those not interested in the write-up, the pics are below" -- hope you enjoyed the first 2 paragraphs at least!

Originally Posted by Mach_666' post='764563
Nice car and write up. I can see you prefer carbonblack on your 5 series, it's an awesome colour!

Enjoy your stay i Copenhagen, hope you can avoid paying those insane danish car taxes...
Thanks
I keep considering other colours, but always conclude that Carbon Black is one of my favourite car colours... from any car manufacturer for that matter!
There is an Expat scheme offered by the government that allows you to pay a phased car import tax for the duration you are in Denmark. Otherwise it would be a total no-go importing the car.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='764835
It looks like your next car will be 535d as you tend to get stronger and stronger engines I'm just curious why you replaced '08 LCI with '05 pre-LCI? Of course - the touring is GREAT I love it too. One thing I'm missing is the sunroof but I exchanged it for comfort seats.
the 535d would be the logical next car if you look at my 5er history!
My '08 LCI is a German company car. I am moving to Denmark with the company and will not be opting for a company car in Denmark due to tax reasons. That's why I have to return my German company car, i.e. the '08 LCI. The '05 pre-LCI E61 is my privately purchased car and I bought it because a local dealer was doing a "special promotion" in November which resulted my getting the car for 25% less; I paid 22400 instead of 30000.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='764960' date='Jan 11 2009, 02:10 PM
the 535d would be the logical next car if you look at my 5er history!
My '08 LCI is a German company car. I am moving to Denmark with the company and will not be opting for a company car in Denmark due to tax reasons. That's why I have to return my German company car, i.e. the '08 LCI. The '05 pre-LCI E61 is my privately purchased car and I bought it because a local dealer was doing a "special promotion" in November which resulted my getting the car for 25% less; I paid 22400 instead of 30000.
I see! Well, the price is perfect! What was its mileage? I love the wheels Both winter and summer ones! Great choice!

Quick Reply: My new E61 530dA M-Sport on 19s -- plenty of pics!