E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My new 535d M Sport - The good and the bad!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I picked the car up yesterday and firstly the good!

The Good
Performance - it's simply staggering, I had a 911 C4S who wanted to park his car in my boot during a stretch of 40 on the M1, as I hit the de-restricted he moved into the outside lane and tried to loose me - a quick flick into sport and he was well and truly blown away!

Option wise the car is superb, will everything I'll ever need and some things I never knew I needed! - I'll post questions in these in another topic.

The Bad
Whilst doing some pre-inspection checks I found that the owners manual bundle was wet and hence un-readable, I mentioned it to the salesman who said no problem we will order you a new one, fortunately I asked is this indicative of a water leak - no he replied.

Then this morning after a night if rain and a quick trip to the shops I checked the left rear storage area and found a couple of cm's of water - immediately phoned the dealer and he is getting back to me. Not an ideal start especially after my last post but at least I've found it within 24hrs, now it's down to how the problem is solved.

Jdl
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Members

Water in the boot area (that's the trunk for the benefit of our colonial cousins) is usually indicative of a blocked panoramic sun roof drain. Be sure and get them to sort this pronto as there are some sensitive electronic boxes back there.

See here

https://5series.net/forums/topic/58892-water-in-trunk/
Old 02-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Members

Very easy to sort.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=68452
Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

JDL, was the owner's manual in the glove box? If yes, then a leak there is also very dangerous, and may be caused by leaves blocking the drains under the area between windshield and engine. Make sure to remove the microfilters and check that, there are topics about this as well.

On the trunk water: make sure to inspect the tyre well asap, to the metal at the bottom! Even if the dealer sorts the water leak, you may have wet electronics waiting to blow up in any number of days.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Objectively speaking, a fairly recent 911 won't be blown away I'm afraid; not by a 535d and not by just about any other vehicle on the planet. However if you hit the gas at the right moment and he snoozes for a second there should be good distance between you and him before his neuroreceptors have commanded the rear foot to seek lower terrain. He will however quickly catch up, but he can't stuff a sofa in the back along with three kids and a spouse.

Personally I've played with a 1980's vintage Ferrari and an early naughties Corvette who both made attempts at a getaway and seemed distraught when my 535d grille stayed glued to their hinies like a male dog on a female bitch in heat. For their vanity sake, I'm glad I have the sports package so they can tell their mates that it was a beastly 10 cylinder M5 they only barely managed to outpace (I am keen to retain my license and usually lift off somewhere only slightly north of the loose-your-license legal limit).

So congrats, you've gotten one sweet car and as you occasionally regret that you don't have the sweet song of a 10 or 8 cylindre gasoline engine, keep laughing when you on rare occassions go to the filling station and ponder that had you gone the gasoline way, you would be there three times as often.

Let me add that I tested a 520da F11 today to see what I was missing. Turns out that I'm only envious of the faster CIC idrive and better resolution display. I am happy without the quirky electric parking brake and the speed limiter function !! The small windshielf wipers look like the ones on my wife's Fiat and the plastic speedometer and tachometer would look at home in a Kia. The 8-speed slushbox is sweet but no sweeter than our 6-speed cause when you have this kind of torque you would live well even with only four cogs in the box - and they shift equally swiftly so the 8 has nothing on the in my book. After this thorough test drive I'm happier than ever to stay with my E61 and who knows, I may just do the CIC upgrade and then there's be zero reason to upgrade to the F11 unless pedestrian safety improvements rank high on your personal priority list. Happy motoring.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

What was the cause of the leak? I had a similar issue, turned out to be a bad/leaky seal around the pano roof, and not the drains at all.