E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Manual mode automaticity shifting up around 4-5k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 11:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi wagon
Default Manual mode automaticity shifting up around 4-5k rpm

So my 06 530xi has started up shifting from 3rd/4th gear into 6th when I’m around 4-5k rpm. And if I get on the gas at all it downshifts like it’s in auto. It also has been dropping into 1st gear at stops when the other issues occur. Trying to go up hills in 3rd/4th gear it’ll just drop it into 6th and then struggle to make it up so it downshifts itself back to 3rd/4th and the cycle keeps going. Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by BeenBlu3
So my 06 530xi has started up shifting from 3rd/4th gear into 6th when I’m around 4-5k rpm. And if I get on the gas at all it downshifts like it’s in auto. It also has been dropping into 1st gear at stops when the other issues occur. Trying to go up hills in 3rd/4th gear it’ll just drop it into 6th and then struggle to make it up so it downshifts itself back to 3rd/4th and the cycle keeps going. Any ideas?
Trying to get a feel for what you are describing. Do you drive in manual mode often? How many miles are on the car? Any idea when, or if, the transmission has ever been serviced? Are you using Manual mode for sporty driving or trying to override otherwise bad shifting behavior?

Why is it strange to shift into 1st gear at a stop?

I am going to make some assumptions, unless I hear otherwise. You have a 2006, so I am guessing about 175K+ miles on the clock. Eighty percent chance the transmission has never been serviced. You like the manual mode and use it frequently, no? How am I doing so far?

Back to basics. The transmission is quite smart and will override manual mode if it detects certain conditions, to preserve a very expensive piece of kit. Driving in Manual or Sport mode frequently does cause increased wear and stress on the transmission. Worn out fluid, leaking seal, not enough pressure on a clutch and it will override your selected mode to prevent damage.

My guess would be, doing a proper transmission service including new sealing sleeves for the mechatronic, would resolve the issues. Without seeing/driving it cannot say if that is the only issue or if it might need new solenoids as well. Computer scan would be a great place to start.

I have serviced three of these transmissions in the last couple of years. From shifting funny to not driving at all, a proper service makes it drive like new. Fairly simple to do but not a cheap fix, and I assume very expensive if done at a shop.

Where are you in Washington? I have diagnostic tools and fair amount of expertise with these cars / transmissions.

Last edited by Greggo; 02-26-2024 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:25 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

+1 on Greggo's take on the situation.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:42 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Greggo
Trying to get a feel for what you are describing. Do you drive in manual mode often? How many miles are on the car? Any idea when, or if, the transmission has ever been serviced? Are you using Manual mode for sporty driving or trying to override otherwise bad shifting behavior?

Why is it strange to shift into 1st gear at a stop?

I am going to make some assumptions, unless I hear otherwise. You have a 2006, so I am guessing about 175K+ miles on the clock. Eighty percent chance the transmission has never been serviced. You like the manual mode and use it frequently, no? How am I doing so far?

Back to basics. The transmission is quite smart and will override manual mode if it detects certain conditions, to preserve a very expensive piece of kit. Driving in Manual or Sport mode frequently does cause increased wear and stress on the transmission. Worn out fluid, leaking seal, not enough pressure on a clutch and it will override your selected mode to prevent damage.

My guess would be, doing a proper transmission service including new sealing sleeves for the mechatronic, would resolve the issues. Without seeing/driving it cannot say if that is the only issue or if it might need new solenoids as well. Computer scan would be a great place to start.

I have serviced three of these transmissions in the last couple of years. From shifting funny to not driving at all, a proper service makes it drive like new. Fairly simple to do but not a cheap fix, and I assume very expensive if done at a shop.

Where are you in Washington? I have diagnostic tools and fair amount of expertise with these cars / transmissions.
Hey sorry for the late response, but thanks for the reply. To answer this all in order:

I drive in manual pretty much every day on my commute to and from work as I’m in stop & go traffic the whole way, and the car is at 150k miles.
It seems to drive fine in auto so I’m not avoiding rough shifts or anything.
I bought the car off a family friend a year ago and have been slowly tackling the issues trying to restore this car to its prime, I know before I got it the front diff and some other front end stuff were serviced as the diff blew itself up at some point, but no idea if the trans has ever been touched.
and I am in the Bonney lake area
Old 03-02-2024, 08:08 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BeenBlu3
Hey sorry for the late response, but thanks for the reply. To answer this all in order:

I drive in manual pretty much every day on my commute to and from work as I’m in stop & go traffic the whole way, and the car is at 150k miles.
It seems to drive fine in auto so I’m not avoiding rough shifts or anything.
I bought the car off a family friend a year ago and have been slowly tackling the issues trying to restore this car to its prime, I know before I got it the front diff and some other front end stuff were serviced as the diff blew itself up at some point, but no idea if the trans has ever been touched.
and I am in the Bonney lake area
little update, buddy brought his bmw diagnostic tools and pulled code 005087