E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M3This' E61 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Lotus99
You are paying the extra $1000 or so for Dinan to get their warranty. GIAC and Cobb make great flashes (Cobb you can DIY even) at less than half Dinan's cost, which if you're out of warranty, I don't know why you wouldn't consider instead of Dinan.
I primarily chose Dinan due to higher gains but the warranty and bmw dealer being totall "ok" with their products simply made it a clearer choice.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I don't believe Dinan has higher gains than the other two, you sure? In fact, there was a huge uproar IIRC a couple of years ago about how it didn't stack up (vs. the piggybacks though, as other flashes weren't really around).

Also, Giac wasn't around til last year sometime, and Cobb wasn't around til 6 or so months ago, so a couple of years ago, there would have only been Dinan as a choice. The reason Cobb's 535 tune dyno does not show the same power as their 335 tune I read is only because that particular car they dyno'd had wastegate issues. But since the two cars' engines and related components are almost the same, there's no reason why the 535 shouldn't hit similar numbers to the 335.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

simply based on each company stated numbers for 535.

Hp/Torque
Dinan: + 78 / +116
Cobb: +57 / +91
GIAC: 40-80 / 60-90

To me, that means Dinan is the best overall.

I don't know what notes like this mean though from GIAC. Sounds like the upper numbers are only when combined with an exhaust whereas the Dinan is stand alone, with the exhaust adding a bit more.
"GIAC performance software for the 2010 - 2008 E60 535® smoothly delivers a 40 - 80 hp and 60 - 90 ft-lbs gain. For optimum performance the software must be coupled with exhaust and intercooler. "

I honestly don't care either way, it's interesting though.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

For Cobb, I've explained above why their numbers are lower, which they posted about on E90Post. I trust their answer as they are a well respected tuning company.

GIAC's numbers for the 535 are identical to the ones for their 335 now that I go to their site, which confirms what I was saying (the two are the same). And really, they should be, since the engine is identical, and most of the other components that affect power are as well, right? I don't know why they show that big of a range for those cars. But there's plenty of people running the GIAC tune on their 335, including the moderator of that forum who's tested the flash extensively, who were not disappointed with the results and noone has brought up an issue with power yet, so I'm guessing it's just a CYA move on their part, so someone doesn't later show up and say "Hey, how come I dyno'd and didn't have the gains you said I would?"

I just wanted to put this info all here in case someone uses it as a reference for future purchasing decisions.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
For Cobb, I've explained above why their numbers are lower, which they posted about on E90Post. I trust their answer as they are a well respected tuning company.
20hp is quite the difference though and really, if they have better numbers, why wouldn't they be noted on the website where people are going to buy or not?
---
Well, I found that chart on e90post and someone said some BS about Dinan "starting with 330hp on base vehicle" WTF is that about? To me that would equal 100% false advertising and selling me a big fat lie. I am going to have to look into this now and will report back. Someone is wrong.
---
ok, crap, is the issue here how numbers are reported? crank hp vs wheel hp?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
20hp is quite the difference though and really, if they have better numbers, why wouldn't they be noted on the website where people are going to buy or not?
---
Well, I found that chart on e90post and someone said some BS about Dinan "starting with 330hp on base vehicle" WTF is that about? To me that would equal 100% false advertising and selling me a big fat lie. I am going to have to look into this now and will report back. Someone is wrong.
---
ok, crap, is the issue here how numbers are reported? crank hp vs wheel hp?
Yeah, it is odd they've not found one other person with a 535 to dyno... They say that their tune for each car is identical, and there's no mechanical reason for such a big difference b/w the cars (they even said the exhaust differences b/w the two cars is a non issue), which makes sense to me. I saw it here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483122

IIRC one other downside with Dinan is once you get it, since your car is permanently flagged in BMW's system, you can't get a CPO warranty for it in case you want to extend yours.

Yes, all the numbers you're referring to are wheel hp in this thread I assume: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374508 It's the first time I've looked at that chart though, and I hadn't heard that the flashes were making that much less power than the piggies, though they are reputed to have lower max boost on stage 1 vs. the piggies lower maps even, which could be the reason.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

That crap is all too confusing. I don't want to read any more However, my cpo warranty is fully intact. Who ever "buys" a cpo warranty anyway? Well, in my experience you either buy a cpo car from a dealer or you buy one from someone that already bought it cpo too. Either way it's still a cpo, and the warranty covers all the normal stuff. Dinan is supposed to cover the issues their product is responsible for causing.

I bought mine cpo with 29,000 miles but blew through to 52,000 miles this month so now I'm out of my base factory warranty and into the cpo coverage....

which leads to some things I should share but maybe a new thread? Many things covered under factory are NOT covered under cpo... duh, I guess that makes sense but when you get close, make sure all your issues are fixed and maybe have the tech go through to look for things just in case.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

If the tune gives you the oomph and it's a big enough difference from stock, that's all that counts!

I thought before factory warranty runs out, one has the option to buy the extended warranty for their own car, which is also called a CPO warranty (besides when you buy a used BMW from a dealer who's added the CPO to it). So you can't do that, and you need to buy a third party extended warranty if you want one beyond the factory?

I've historically never bought extended warranties anyway, as it's just insurance in the end, so sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and luckily since I usually only put 10,000 miles a year on a car, it's not been something I've worried much about not having.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

If we go into warranties anymore I think it should go to a new thread or add onto one already out there.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

LOL yea you guys are cluttering up my thread

I dont care really.

My plan is to most likely get the Cobb ... everyone on E90post only has great things to say about it, and the fact you cant tell it was installed is the best part.

Quick Reply: M3This' E61 Touring