E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M3This' E61 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks fantastic!!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by M3This
No worries I already debadged the entire car and didn't buy the m// badges for the fender grills
Building a beautiful car like that I should have known better than to even suspect they'd stay on!

Once you get your chip, people will wonder what is that amazing looking über wagon that just spanked them! I love the look and mystery of a debadged car.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

I already have a 20x9 on the front its +30 offset. There is maybe 1 to 2 mm of inner clearance left.
However now with the new fenders I can add a 15mm spacer up front making the offset +15
Its probably a good idea to try the 15 mm spacers from the rear first.
I suspect that when turning, your front wheels might rub against the wheel liners, despite having the inside and outside clearance.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by mmitev
Its probably a good idea to try the 15 mm spacers from the rear first.
I suspect that when turning, your front wheels might rub against the wheel liners, despite having the inside and outside clearance.
It shouldnt matter ... my overall diameter of my wheel wont be changing so it wont rub since my current set up has zero rubbing. Im only pushing the wheel out towards the fender more and with the M5 fenders I have a lot more clearance.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Building a beautiful car like that I should have known better than to even suspect they'd stay on!

Once you get your chip, people will wonder what is that amazing looking über wagon that just spanked them! I love the look and mystery of a debadged car.
Yea I really want to get the M5 Touring rear, however all the sources I have found have been in the UK making the cost around $2300 to buy it (50% of that cost is shipping such a huge box). Also on top of that I would need to do a custom quad exhaust which is another $1500 - $2000 (ouch) so its quite the expensive bump.

I think Im going to get a flash, intercooler, and DPs next instead.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Yea I really want to get the M5 Touring rear, however all the sources I have found have been in the UK making the cost around $2300 to buy it (50% of that cost is shipping such a huge box). Also on top of that I would need to do a custom quad exhaust which is another $1500 - $2000 (ouch) so its quite the expensive bump.

I think Im going to get a flash, intercooler, and DPs next instead.
I was told by Dinan this car already has an uprated intercooler. Sufficient for their stage 2 anyway.

DP? Down pipes? Who makes those and what about between them and the rear?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Members

Also thanks guys for all the kind words! I cant wait to get it out of paint and get the details dialed in.

Some things to note for anyone looking to do the OEM M5 Front End:

1. The crash beam in not needed (I reused the one on my car), however you need the foam pieces

2. Dont buy the hardware (this will save you some money) all the hardware I needed to mount every can easily be reused off the stock parts

3. You will need the fender liners as stock ones are not wide enough

4. The brake ducts will need to be trimmed. Im guessing on the M5 the washer fluid tank is in a different spot and also there are parts of the brake ducts that look like they funnel air up into the intake box on the V10 but my 535i doesnt have these areas for it to connect too.

5. I have a 2008 LCI, so to make sure things fit I ordered the part for a 2008 M5. As a result my bumper has reflector holes in it If I was to do it over again I would just order the earlier bumper as from what I can tell there isnt really any other change.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I was told by Dinan this car already has an uprated intercooler. Sufficient for their stage 2 anyway.

DP? Down pipes? Who makes those and what about between them and the rear?
Yea Downpipes. AR Designs is the only one I know of that makes them for the 535xi:

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw-1...downpipes.html

They have both catted and catless versions. I would most likely go catted as the performance increase isnt that much for the amount of crap that comes out of the exhaust.

If I did a custom exhaust it would be cat back so that would include mid pipes and rear of the car.

Question for you on the Dinan stuff ... if the car is CPO, will Dianan cover the CPO warranty or is their warranty only good for new cars?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Question for you on the Dinan stuff ... if the car is CPO, will Dianan cover the CPO warranty or is their warranty only good for new cars?
Good question. Their website states that for cars within the new factory warranty i.e., less than 4 yrs/50k, they match it. But then they also say they warranty for some period on cars which are not in the factory warranty. Neither address cpo cars and at what point Dinan will or will not warranty any issues related to their product.

I'd love for my turbos to go out and BMW to say it's the Dinan software and Dinan to say I'm now in my cpo warranty period so they won't step up either. I was hasty and went for it without researching but that's because nobody was specific on the warranty, they said things like "Dinan will match the BMW warranty"
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

You are paying the extra $1000 or so for Dinan to get their warranty. GIAC and Cobb make great flashes (Cobb you can DIY even) at less than half Dinan's cost, which if you're out of warranty, I don't know why you wouldn't consider instead of Dinan.

All I've read on Dinan was about them only warrantying the car up to the new factory BMW warranty, and not beyond. They have their own waranty on their parts I think anytime you buy them, even if you're CPO, but that would be just for that part breaking, which is really just on the hardware they sell I guess. Not if another part malfunctions and its cause can be traced back to having the tune. Like if your turbos blow. Dinan wouldn't cover that, unless you're still within the 4 year warranty.

Then BMW would blame your tune for the turbos blowing, and Dinan in theory would happily approve the work to be done at the dealer, and then reimburse the dealer for said repair. I've read anecdotal stories that Dinan (like with the HPFP going out) sometimes pushes back to BMW and tells them that the part breaking wasn't caused by the tune as it's already a weak point in the car and often breaks on stock cars too, in which case, you the owner, are stuck in the middle with a car that doesn't work, while they point fingers at each other.

But there are quite a few people who say that Dinan did pay up and fix things when they broke without headaches.

Quick Reply: M3This' E61 Touring