E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M3This' E61 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3This
Yes it came with links to lower the rear however they are not installed in my car currently. You only need them if you want the rear to sit lower then the front.
So, did you adjust the rear height at all, or is it still stock?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by 355dreamer
So, did you adjust the rear height at all, or is it still stock?
Its auto leveling ... so if the front goes down the rear does too.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d touring, black, leather "caramel" individual, GPS pro, Pack M, heating seats confort, 18's rims 135M, park distance control front and rear, bi-xénon,

Very nice car and so rare in touring version.
Pictures are taken front of "Red Rock canyon"?
Beautiful car at beautiful place.
I come often in Vegas and i 've never seen a so beautiful " 5 touring " like your.
Congratulation.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Pics where actually shot in Henderson near Lake Mead.

Thanks for the nice complements!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Its auto leveling ... so if the front goes down the rear does too.
I don't think it works quite like that. The auto rear leveling is for loads. Normally this is based on the position of a sensor at the rear suspension which would have almost no change due to a load at the front of the vehicle.

If you can prove this theory, awesome, I'd like to see it however I am very skeptical it could work that way.

It is my understanding that this car has a rear air suspension that is similar to others that are called "automatic load leveling" This does not mean the same thing as "auto leveling". Our rear air could actually be called "anti-sag leveling", meaning, it is not intended to ever lower the car but instead to simply keep the car from lowering due to weight in the cargo area.

I think your car just looks like there is less gap because the rear wheels are pushed out so far unless your mechanics did something special to set the standard height of the rear to be lower.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d touring, black, leather "caramel" individual, GPS pro, Pack M, heating seats confort, 18's rims 135M, park distance control front and rear, bi-xénon,

Pics where actually shot in Henderson near Lake Mead.

Thanks for the nice complements!
See you later maybe in Vegas.
I juste come back one week ago from Las Vegas.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I don't think it works quite like that. The auto rear leveling is for loads. Normally this is based on the position of a sensor at the rear suspension which would have almost no change due to a load at the front of the vehicle.

If you can prove this theory, awesome, I'd like to see it however I am very skeptical it could work that way.

It is my understanding that this car has a rear air suspension that is similar to others that are called "automatic load leveling" This does not mean the same thing as "auto leveling". Our rear air could actually be called "anti-sag leveling", meaning, it is not intended to ever lower the car but instead to simply keep the car from lowering due to weight in the cargo area.

I think your car just looks like there is less gap because the rear wheels are pushed out so far unless your mechanics did something special to set the standard height of the rear to be lower.
I think Im correct here is why ....

I have lowered the front coilovers almost as low as they can got (one thread from lowest possible) If you look at this pic you can see the front and back sit level at stock height: EDIT: actually looking at this pic, its a bad example as in the pic the front looks higher, however from my measurements before lowering the car all 4 corners where the same height. I always measure all fender heights before lowering a car on coilovers as you want to keep the same ratio all around to keep the cars balance.

Now if you look at my car now with the front fully dropped the rear again sits level:

Also look at how big the gap is stock vs lowered:

One last thing that makes me believe it works the way I was saying it does is when you buy lowering springs they only come in the front, and the lowering springs dont come with adjustable links. It would look odd to only lower the front 1-2" and not the rear.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

I hear what you are saying but the oem photos don't really compare because the tires were also oem size. yours now are much larger diameter.

I'm still not believing the rear suspension is the reason here or else everyone going on and on about how to lower an e61 wouldn't have been having the trouble all along.

--

Also, is there a way to install the nice front KW at it's highest setting to gain the better handling while retaining the ride height/ground clearance that matters for me?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Members

It doesn't auto level. I put springs on the front of my 09 wagon, and the rear remained at stock height. I waited a few weeks, and took it back to my mechanic who made an adjustment to the "rod" the controls the level of the rear of the car.

He screwed up a bit, as now the rear is too low, and I have to take it back to him again to get it just right.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jwestpro
yours now are much larger diameter.
They are actually smaller ...oem is OD of 27" my set up has a OD of 26.7"

Quick Reply: M3This' E61 Touring