E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Leaking Panoramic Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that clogged drain tubes from the sunroof have caused some havoc. First, I tested the sunroof with the water test, and indeed the water does leak on both rear corners in front of the tail light.

I got a diagnosis from two local dealers $1200-1500 from one and $3700 from the other. The higher estimate was as a result of an appt with a technician apparently diagnosing the problem. The lower was the SA opinion based on previous multiple repairs. Amazing that BMW sits on their hands, knowing the problem is extensive. Easier to make money than to spend for design defects. My heart rate is increasing....

But I digress-
Seems Sirius and telephone Bluetooth are the affected services not working.
Anyone with similar experience, please chime in.
Thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Members

Bad news!

Unfortunately, this problem seems to not be uncommon. Take a look at the threads in this search string... there are quite a few posts on this topic.

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...pp=forums&st=0

And, IIRC, there are four drains, two in the front, and two in the rear.

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Out of warranty I assume. Chances are water leaked into the trunk and settled in the spare tire area. Nice place to put electrical relays, BMW. Clearing out the drains and replacement of relays should get you back on the road especially if you are handy. The rear drains causes a lot of issues.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

nell - there is a service bulletin that your garage should know about; it shows step-by-step how to move the relays from the trunk to a less affected place in the boot. It shows the E60, but some of the info should be applicable on the E61 as well.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/attachment...Attachment.pdf
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

hello Narveselius,

Could you help out with info where front panoramic drains are? I just cleaned yesterday rear one's, using your bulletin, was helpful thanks! My battery went flat, or low voltage due to water in battery compartment and high humidity. Recharging now. When i blue air into the tube some really muddy water came out, good/ bad sign.
Now i also noticed water in drivers side, footrest all around problems

for the front drains, how do i clean them, get to them?

Thanks for any useful info.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I'll answer your question if you answer mine...

The front drains are actually the easy ones to spot. If you've found the outer cassette of the pano roof assembly - which I'm guessing you did so you could pour water in to see if it drains quickly - you'll see a hole in each corner. It's visible, unlike the holes that must be there for the rear sunroof drains, which are covered by the solid piece of glass. To test my drains, I parked the car on a bit of a slope (facing downhill or uphill, depending which drains you're testing of course), and poured water from a bottle into the outer cassette.

The front drains pour out of a tube behind the wiring cable you see passing from the front doors to the body of the car. If you leave the front doors open when you pour water, you'll see the water drain out (hopefully). Otherwise, just blow air into the holes I guess, from up top, since they're easily accessible.

Now my question: How did you clear the rear ones? Can you give me a quick overview please? I've read a few posts, but they all seemed like a PITA to do. I was hoping not to have to remove a rear bumper, or headliner, to get to the tubes and blow air thru them. Is there an easier way to do it? I can't see how I can reach the rear drain holes in the cassette, because they're blocked by the non-moving rear glass part of the pano sunroof....

EDIT: Is post #20 how you did it? I thought I read from someone else it wasn't that simple, and you had to remove the rear bumper?

https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...0/#post1105672

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-06-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Members

Hello Lotus!

Sure thing i can provide good source, i have done this DIY just few day's ago, took me an hour of my time to blow to clean both rear drains. Attached you will see the pdf with nicely done explanation and pictures. You do not have to take rear bumper off, to blow use compressor (low pressure).
Once i cleaned the drains a lot of muddy/ dirty water came out.
Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Awesome, thanks for that link. Hadn't seen it before. I'll try to blow air thru the tubes from the back then. Was thinking I had to blow the air from the top, where the drain holes are, which sounds like a PITA.

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Members

You will enjoy this DIY so much, you will do it for fun!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Members

Another cause of water ingress that is slowly on the increase are the grommets gunking up under the microfilters.
Once you remove all of the plastic housing there is a grommet under both the ABS servo and the ECU box.
With these blocked water backs up into the void causing water to leak into the cabin and electrical issues.

These can either be cleaned out with a flat blade screwdriver or can be pushed down into the bodywork removing the grommet and hopefully the problem.

For info.

Quick Reply: Leaking Panoramic Sunroof