E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Keep driving on the winters and wear them out or not... That is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Lotus99
So if you come across any 225/50R17 or 235/45R17 (I figure they should fit too) snow tires, let me know!

PS Where would you look? Classifieds here and other forums?
I believe you have Craigslist in Canada, no? www.craigslist.ca Isn't there another buy/sell platform like that up there too?

Last edited by JayArras; 04-01-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by jayarras
I believe you have Craigslist in Canada, no? craigslist: toronto classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events Isn't there another buy/sell platform like that up there too?
Found these used ones on Ebay, funny enough. 4 PA3's, and the guy says they all have 8/32 tread left. They'd be about $600 including shipping.

Not sure it's a great deal though... New, they have 10.5/32 tread, and they're only really good (in snow) down to 4/32, so about 6.5/32 of usable tread.

At 8/32, they're about 1/3 of the way there to 4/32, so at $1000 new, $600 doesn't seem like a smoking deal on them...

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Michelin-P...-/161242023184
Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Nah, he'd have to do a lot better than that to get me interested.

He says he won't ship to Canada anyway, so it's a moot point.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

5/32 is enough to get at least part way into the next season. Worse case you pull them off and get a new set mid winter when you can use them the most.

When/if you are done with 17" wheels, I may want yours and we're close so let me know.

I am doing a "run out" on my pirelli snows but they are far more worn than yours.

Regarding run flat tires, they are no less "REAL" and are potentially safer. I see no drawback at all except for cost, often a substantial amount, but the right RFT works quite well in performance. If I'm half way through (insert your own lonely long stretch of highway) in the middle of the night, I am going to be quite happy to not be forced off the road exactly where a flat occurs. Seems like a simple extra bit of flexibility I'm glad to pay a bit for having.

The above pirelli RFT is a sottozero 240 winter and it gave me a lot of mileage over three winters. This season I put on the newest Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 RFT 245/45x18. I am more likely to use a non-RFT for my summer set than winter though.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by jayarras
Nah, he'd have to do a lot better than that to get me interested.

He says he won't ship to Canada anyway, so it's a moot point.
I'm about an hour drive from Blaine, WA, which is where I pick up my US only stuff, or things where shipping costs to Canada doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by norsecarnut
5/32 is enough to get at least part way into the next season. Worse case you pull them off and get a new set mid winter when you can use them the most.

When/if you are done with 17" wheels, I may want yours and we're close so let me know.

I am doing a "run out" on my pirelli snows but they are far more worn than yours.

Regarding run flat tires, they are no less "REAL" and are potentially safer. I see no drawback at all except for cost, often a substantial amount, but the right RFT works quite well in performance. If I'm half way through (insert your own lonely long stretch of highway) in the middle of the night, I am going to be quite happy to not be forced off the road exactly where a flat occurs. Seems like a simple extra bit of flexibility I'm glad to pay a bit for having.

The above pirelli RFT is a sottozero 240 winter and it gave me a lot of mileage over three winters. This season I put on the newest Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 RFT 245/45x18. I am more likely to use a non-RFT for my summer set than winter though.
Now that's one more option I didn't think of, for some reason! LOL.

If I see a nice deal on a full 18 setup, I'll let you know for my 17's for sure.

I've gone back and forth a lot on the RFT dilemma, especially for this car, which we take for trips (though not x-country like you!), and on the highway usually, especially in winters when we go to Whistler in the evenings.

Having that bit of "insurance" has certainly been the reason I've thought about keeping them, and the extra cost of a few hundred over their life isn't huge I suppose. But like most insurance, I asked myself, how often do I think it might happen, and could I handle it if it did - sort of like deciding to buy extended warranty or not...

I have had a couple of flats with this car, and the one time it was in the city, I have to admit, was pretty nice. I was luckily only 10 mins from my garage. Car was loaded with kids and dog, and I just drove home, put car up in a few mins with my jack, swapped the tire over with one of the winters, and drove off. Next day, I dropped it off to get it fixed, since I hadn't driven much on it, it was repairable. If you drive 100 miles on the RFT, as you might know, it's toast. Wouldn't have wanted to shell out $400 for a new tire though had I driven on it for 100 miles.

Given there's at least a spare in the car, I'm now leaning more towards going to regular tires after this, as their traction will improve a lot too, from everything I've read, along with their treadwear life.