E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Intro & towing/hitch kit question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by Alexol' post='470262' date='Sep 17 2007, 09:54 AM
The hitch kit & locking swan-neck ball came from

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php...oducts_id=8756

and later a universal wiring kit from

www.stores.channeladvisor.com/towbar

to bypass the CanBus system. No faults codes, no interference from the PDC - and no comment from the BMW dealer yet.

It turned out that I needed another little electrical gizmo which I got at U-Haul for about $15.

The total cost wasn?t that unreasonable considering past experience with a factory kit on a Volvo XC-70 and a friend?s experience with his VW Toureg at about $650 & $1050 respectively. The kit & swan-neck plus freight from the UK, electrical kit plus postage, and installation ran to about $1100. In my view, and for what I want out of the car, that is not unreasonable.

Since I know nothing about installing these kits and there is potential for serious expense if you offend the infamous black box(es) installation was done for me by Mike Haven of MPH Automotive in Houston. I am REALLY picky about who works on my vehicles ? the phrase anal-retentive has been used occasionally - and I trust these guys to do the job right. I travel to Houston periodically on business anyway, so the 500-mile round trip isn?t that much of a problem from where I live. Mike has worked on a 400E Merc as well as Porches 911 Cabs and done excellent work in each case. Very competent people.

By the way, most Euro kits, especially if TuV approved, have a 50mm ball, which is 1.969? not 2?. Not a huge difference, considering the sloppy fit of most hitches, but something to be aware of.

And the best part? TOTALLY invisible when the ball is detached!

Hope this helps?

Alex
Thanks,

In looking at the picture of it it won't work for my purposes. I need the ugly black square to slide the bike rack into like the ones that come on the X5. BMW Australia shows a bike rack like mine but not info on how it is mounted to the hitch. The Witter that you bought is a nice clean product if you actually want to tow with it. I just want it for the rack so no go. Hmm, BMW is happy for you to tow with an X5 but doesn't want to have anything to do with a 530 towing (in Norht America anyway).