E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to replace a rear PDC on E61?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

Originally Posted by kErb
Activate the PDC and then put your ear to each sensor in turn. If they are working you will hear a buzzing / clicking noise from eash sensor. If the sensor makes no noise it may be faulty. If no sensors are active at all then the module itself may be at fault. i hope this helps.
Hi,

I see what you mean, thanks for your answer.
I listened to the sensors, and it turns out one in front and one in rear is not buzzing. However, wouldnt it be normal that I got signals in i-drive sscreen from the remaining and good sensors? I am a bit reluctant to order new sensors, without bein sure this is the root cause.

The funny thing is also, that once in a while, PDC is working for about a minute, and then not for days.

Any further suggestions?
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Members

Hi

Have a problem with my left middle rear sensor, it a bugger to change the two in the center.
If one sensor is gone/broke/defect the hole system stops working. I think its for saftey reasons, how would you like to find out that one is broke after the crash, :-)

To the case where it sometimes work, maybe its when its sunny and warm, and when its raining its not working, in that case(my case) :-) its probably broke cause to wet sensor thing kinda, if you know what i mean.
I have read somewhere that some get them to work again by spraying that 556 spray, anti rust water thing, its suppose to foce away moist and water, i dont know, give it a shot

:-)
Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Alex,

from what I hear, maybe you should check the power cable to the PDC. It may be that the power is a bit too weak to get the PDC to work properly which could cause it sometimes to work (enough power) and sometimes not.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d M-Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Sun Protection Glass, M6 Staggered Alloys, ACS Rear Diffuser, EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads, I-Pod Interface. Rear Aux Power DIY, LCI Rear Lights, Extended interior lights - doors and footwells, LED licence plate lights.

Originally Posted by rik_dutch
Hi,

I see what you mean, thanks for your answer.
I listened to the sensors, and it turns out one in front and one in rear is not buzzing. However, wouldnt it be normal that I got signals in i-drive sscreen from the remaining and good sensors? I am a bit reluctant to order new sensors, without bein sure this is the root cause.

The funny thing is also, that once in a while, PDC is working for about a minute, and then not for days.

Any further suggestions?
Certainly if some sensors are buzzing then the PDC is trying to work and the module should be fine IMO. I had the same fault and the screen would only work intermittently. If the car flagged PDC as inoperative when I started the car it wouldn't show the i-drive screen. On other occassions it would show the standard display without any graphic showing from the area of the faulty sensor. I only had one front sensor faulty so may explain the difference. I have heard that you can try cleaning the sensors by spraying WD40 into the faulty sensor i.e. the dark circle part, apparently water can get in if the car has been washed with a high pressure jet washer causing them to fail. The WD40 can help dry them out and may be worth trying, before ordering new ones. I was lucky and found a replacement in the right colour on e-bay for £20.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Members

As I couldn't find the reason for the fault (I expect broken or faulty cable), ended up order a repair at BMW. I'll post back with the exact fault.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

It turned out to be a faulty cable. Repair cost in Norway about £150....
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

Originally Posted by kErb
Certainly if some sensors are buzzing then the PDC is trying to work and the module should be fine IMO. I had the same fault and the screen would only work intermittently. If the car flagged PDC as inoperative when I started the car it wouldn't show the i-drive screen. On other occassions it would show the standard display without any graphic showing from the area of the faulty sensor. I only had one front sensor faulty so may explain the difference. I have heard that you can try cleaning the sensors by spraying WD40 into the faulty sensor i.e. the dark circle part, apparently water can get in if the car has been washed with a high pressure jet washer causing them to fail. The WD40 can help dry them out and may be worth trying, before ordering new ones. I was lucky and found a replacement in the right colour on e-bay for £20.

Thanks man, I tried the trick with WD40 and it seems to work. Not initially, after a few days however it is starting to work again.

I am not confident that it will keep working c ontinuously, but will follow up.

Rik
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM
psv
Members

The PDC on my left rear corner stopped working; first only a few times 1-2 weeks ago which could easily be "fixed" by restarting, but last 2-3 days it has been mostly broken. Get the PDC failure message when the one sensor goes, so no graphic/sound for the other ones, even though I can hear them happily ticking away on the outside.

Just wonder when I read this converstation which is most likely the issue when the issue comes and goes, bad cables or bad sensor? Or maybe bad power from battery, I'm not totally convinced the battery is in top shape. Also, it's getting wetter and colder day by day here in Norway, around -5C to +5C last couple of weeks, could be related? Any way to find out (without buying the sensor first? Switch two of them maybe?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Hi, Has anyone managed to open the two PDFs show us how to remove the rear bumper on a E61 and replace the PDC sensors? When I download they won't open.

Thank you