E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.
View Poll Results: Which e61 should I get?
#1 - Manual - Grey/Tan/Sport
33.33%
#2 - Auto - Grey/Blank/Loaded
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Help me pick between these two e61s!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Shopping for e61
Default Help me pick between these two e61s!

Hey there everyone! First post!

I'm a new BMW'er and looking to get the e61 for lots of reasons: sporty, refined, holds lots of stuff, and has a good towing capacity. I've got a dog and also I'm a musician, so it's a great car for me. I <3 Wagons!

ANYWAYS... I want some opinions from people who already own these cars.

I found 2 that I'm really interested in. Both are 2006, both are grey, both have ~ 9x,xxx miles. There was also one other one locally (black and tan interior) that I drove for $13,500 but it had no service records and a slight overheating issue that kind of turned me off to it.

The first one is this one: BMW 530XI Wagon, 6 sp. manual, sport, prem
The seller has answered all of my questions very well, and the car has only had 2 owners. It was in a super minor front passenger side accident at 20mph and the work was done flawlessly. I talked him down to $16,900 with an extra set of OEM wheels. He's done tons of preventative maintenance and kept up with all service - also very honest. IT'S ALSO A 6 SPEED - which I much prefer and I know they're hard to find. It also has a tan interior (which I really like). It also has an AUX jack for my iPod/iPhone/Computer - yes, I have lots of music. There is a small electrical issue showing up in iDrive about the rear reverse bulb on one side (not the other), as well as it says the license plate lights aren't working but they are. ALLSO LOOK AT THOSE PRETTY WHEELS!

This one: 2006 BMW 530Xi Sports Wagon - 1 Owner, Fully Serviced ! - Inventory | AutoQ Car and Truck Sales | Auto dealership in Mauldin, South Carolina
For sale by the dealer, super nice guys it seems. This one was fully loaded (HUD, Active Cruise, Nav, etc). Full service records and lots of maintenance done as well. Black interior so it might get hot down here in the south? It also already has a wired (supposedly) trailer hitch with a small receiver I could use for bikes until my airstream project is done. At that point I'll get a custom one put in. They want $16,500 but I know I could talk them down as it has been on the lot for at least a month and they know I'm looking at another one. According to the dealer all of the car's works very well and it is 'like new'. It is an automatic, and I'm a little afraid about having to get service done on those as I know it can be very expensive.

They both SAY sport package but I don't think #2 has the sport seats. Correct me if I'm wrong but they look different.

I got a loan from my bank for $16,500. I'd have to throw in some extra ($400) for #1 but maybe it's worth it. I don't think I can talk that guy down any more. There's also taxes and title fees, which should be around $500 - $700 in NC.

With my needs in mind, which one do you think would be better for me? Which one would you go with? Is towing harder with the manual?

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:38 AM
New Members

After 18 months with my 2006 E61, I will recommend picking the one that has had the following:
Tailgate hinge wiring replaced/repaired.
VIN is eligible for the recent recall affecting pass. restraint system (replacement of the seat pad).
Air compressor and/or inlet filter hose replaced.
Lots of rubber left on inside rear tires (negative camber eats the inside edges).

If there is little difference there, then I'd pick the one with the manual trans. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi sports wagon

I would probably pick the second one for the automatic transmission, but you prefer manual. Number 2 does, however, get you a trailer hitch already installed. You could also purchase a short term extended warranty if you buy from a dealer instead of a private sale. Sport package should have sport seats, which number 2 does not have. Number 1 appears to have comfort seats, which would be a big plus for me.