E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

German is a beautiful language

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by ivano
btw: As an Italian I love italian cars, but I would never drive one for sure.. I know some bad stories(Well, you show me the opposite) about italian cars..
They are not made for northern europe climate
I have had 11 Alfas over the years, so I'm pretty used to it...
Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
First, there are a couple of Herr Doktor's that should be veeery careful walking in badly lit streets in the future. It may be veery, veery painful. Ja.

Still hanging in there, but I have to admit that going back to Alfa is much more possible outcome that a couple of years back.
Well, there are a couple Herr Doktors in MY black book - namely the ones responsible for
1. Panoramic roof drains
2. Electronics location
3. Rear suspension compressor
4. Rear wiring harness (although I havent had problems with mine si far
5. Quality of interior trunk panels and the myriad of noises they make (also the panosramic roof panels for this reason),
and the last and most recent on the list lol
6. The guy that engineered the plastic surroundings of the rear gate window, which cause corrosion already 2-3 years fom the car's production - unbelievable, see my new thread regarding this.

I think they got one really talented designer, and a bunch of idiot engineers to create the Touring derivateof the model I doubt that the E60 has many of these flaws..

And on Alfa - if VW buys them, quality will not be an issue anymore
Old 10-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by narvselius
... but not when the words "Motorstörung! Leistungsentfall" show on the HUD. Some of you will remember the travails I went through with my old car, and this time I at least managed 14000 kms before the engine broke down. Last time it lasted only 3000 kms, so I suppose this should be seen as an improvement from BMW.

I will hand in the car tomorrow at the nearest dealer and will keep you posted.

And I will not post on this forum what I currently think about BMW.
Holy crap. I cannot believe that this is happening to you again!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by mmitev
And on Alfa - if VW buys them, quality will not be an issue anymore
Lol, I presum eyou never actually had to own a Volkwagen Audi Group product? Had to be around lots of them unfortunately and the scope and frequency of problems with them is mindnumbing. Take a leaking pano roof or even crappy HPFP over it everyday I'm afraid...

Strange thing is that outside those directly affected they maintain an aura of reliability while even the more serious automotive press seriously question their quality, what good PR can do for you...

BTW in your list you forgot the diversity module embedded in its own private swimming pool within the rear spoiler assy...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Theo
Strange thing is that outside those directly affected they maintain an aura of reliability while even the more serious automotive press seriously question their quality, what good PR can do for you...
Not to be pro-Audi, but they are ahead of BMW in surveys done by ADAC, eg. And that's a survey based on real, factual breakdowns in Germany and not some sort of gung-ho Internet questionnaire. They are still pretty boring to drive though.

(BTW "Volkswagen Audi Group" doesn't exist as Audi is a subsidary of Volkswagen Group, just as Seat, Skoda, Lambo, Bently... etc etc etc. They'll soon rule the world and we will all be brought up chanting "Volkswagen is good, Volkswagen is for me" starting in Kindergarten. ) Sorry - lost it there for a moment.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Haha Theo you're actually right - I never owned one
But close relatives do and they are very happy with two A4's (previous generation) and two Skodas. The rest is probably PR indeed. But judging from what I hear of Alfas (though I like their looks a lot), VW seems better still.

VAG = Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft

I liked the one with the diversity module's private swimming pool, I hope it won't be bathing in champaigne the next time I need its services

But there is one route I would not go at the moment - Mercedes-Benz. Horror stories come from everywhere, it seems they make them of cardboard and cheap tin these days..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mmitev
But there is one route I would not go at the moment - Mercedes-Benz. Horror stories come from everywhere, it seems they make them of cardboard and cheap tin these days..
Mercedes has essentially addressed the quality issues of their recent past. They're now scoring very well in the JD Power IQS and VDS, much higher than BMW who are scoring below the industry average. Time to put the stereotypes to bed, the current MB line up is well built and broadly reliable.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
Mercedes has essentially addressed the quality issues of their recent past. They're now scoring very well in the JD Power IQS and VDS, much higher than BMW who are scoring below the industry average. Time to put the stereotypes to bed, the current MB line up is well built and broadly reliable.
No threadjacking intended, but just clarifying this:
I am talking about a 2-4 years old used cars, as I typically like to avoid the massive initial depreciation hit. In this segment Mercedes is still a big no-no. I am hearing real horror stories about these cars, from owners and mechanics equally. ML, E, S, SL - massive and expensive problems with suspension, electronics, steering, even gearbox, cracking panoramic roofs... no thanks.

I would definitely not call this a "stereotype".
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Well Mercedes had severe quality control problems from roughly the latter nineties throughout the better part of the 2000's, the well-known electronics and rust problems were only the tip of the iceberg. Throughout the automotive world however there seems to be a consensus that they remedied most of the issues the last few years and the overall quality of the latest model ranges is actually quite acceptable. I find that the calculation and risk analysis data of leasing companies gives excellent insight in these matters, more up-to-date and less small-population hampered than for example ADAC data...

And for my brutal violation of the VAG acronym: yeah yeah, I know, Volkswagen AG it is. Volkswagen Audi Group has crept in everyday language here though, I know several dealers and some people at the official importer who make the same mistake structurally, I kid you not. Probably want to come across more premium... lol